what's is the stupidest thing someone said about your knives?

this is a big eye-opener for me, guys....having only done one show... :eek:

Maybe a few of you could offer "clever comebacks" as well....? (ones that got you the sale, of course ;))

Maybe a few of you could offer "clever comebacks" as well

The Frost Table is on the next isle! :D

pendentive said:
this is a big eye-opener for me, guys....having only done one show... :eek:

Maybe a few of you could offer "clever comebacks" as well....? (ones that got you the sale, of course ;))

if you don't like this one,
I'll make one for you the way YOU want it. as long as it's to my speck's or better, nothing less will do..

Dan (Pendentive)-

I've come to love this one:

"Well you best take your cheap, sorry a$$ and your f'n $35 and head to Wal-mart then..."

:D :D :D
Nick

NickWheeler said:
Dan (Pendentive)-

I've come to love this one:

"Well you best take your cheap, sorry a$$ and your f'n $35 and head to Wal-mart then..."

:D :D :D
Nick

I'd add a little to it Nick :)

"Well you best take your cheap, sorry a$$ and your f'n $35 and head to Wal-mart then...and what in he11s name are you doing here?
and while your there don't forget to say,, I'll Be back to the $7.00 an hour wallmart clerk
that knows his stuff about knives... :footinmou :D

Man, I'm wiping away the tears of laughter here! Nick, I think you oughta keep doing gun shows... as long as you have that same guy set up next to you, and take a tape recorder with you too!

John you reminded me of this one from 2 days ago.

So my sister calls. She's opening a shop in Guthrie. "Why don't you send me a few knives to put on display?"

I explain, "I just make these things for fun/hobby. I don't have any laying around. I accepted more orders than I can fill this year. I have one really nice guy with one of my knives that wants to buy everything I ever make for ever and ever. I'm swamped."

"Yes, but if you send me some knives I can help get your name out..."

Steve

Steve, EXACTLY! In a week or so, she will ask you the same thing. My sister does, at least every month.OK, sis, I will just knock out about 3 years worth of work tomorrow and then whip out a couple of dozen more for your shop, tomorrow evening before supper.

How about when they say "Wow that looks really good, almost as good as the knives at Wal-mart". :barf:

Tom

Once someone told her girlfriend "don't look at those knives, he's just buying Arbolito blades to put handles on them"

And some other time a guy looked at this knife and said that it was a knife for a dirty hippie, as he didn't like the colors on the bolster...

cool_overall_side_B.jpg

The best comment was "those are sculptures with an edge" That left me smiling the entire afternoon.

Ariel

Dumbest Comment ever: "Kids could get those!!" Apparently I missed something and the assault weapons ban was extended to include 3" drop point hunters.... :rolleyes:

Haven't thought of a real good comeback yet on that one. Usually, I just say nothing and let the silence reveal how stupid they are.

Tim

How about one I heard just yesterday, "you should set up some of those at the flea market and maybe a truck stop"

Or one fellow wanted to trade an old battered white tail antler for a knife, he wanted the handle to come out of the antler and I could "keep the rest as payment" :confused:

I especially liked what Nick said! You could end it by yelling over to the table across the room and say,"Hey, Dan, lunch is on YOU today! I just heard the dumbest one for the day, and he is still standing right here"!

Just after OJ pulled his little stunt, the most asked question to me for at least two years was, Is that the knife that OJ used?? They would say this out loud while poking his buddy in the side. That one got real old after the first show.

I made a lot of mirror polished blades out of carbon steel at one time and just about every guy that came up to the table with his buddy would ask what kind of steel I was using. Before I could get the words out of my mouth ,the expert friend would yell , Stainless steel. I would explain to them that it was Carbon steel. Then they will usually say, well it looks like satinless. For some reason, just because it was polished up nice they assume it is stainless.

Yes, I get the same ole, who chromes your blades? Where do you buy your blanks?

Bobby

I agree with Bobby. I don't know it is for sure, but people just assume anything shiny is stainless. Show them a piece of stainless with mill scale on it, and it couldn't possibly be REAL stainless :)

Try to explain that most any steel can have just about any finish and they don't usually believe you.

Just strange actions: One man asked if he could look over my knives, I said please do. He asked if it was OK to pick them up, again I said sure! It took out a magnifying glass and started looking them over real tight. Since he was blokcing others from seeing my knives I asked him if he would like to come back of the table to look them over. He said certainly! He looked for a long time, then bought one. I asked him what he was looking for the the glass, he said he was just trying to get a rise out of me.

Another man picked up a knife, ran his finger over the edge, then quickly put his hand in his pocket so no one would see the blood. I asked him if he cut himself and he said NO! Stood them with a red stain growing on his pants, then walked off.

Another tired to talk me down in price on one knife for three days, on the third day I decided to play his game and said just pay me what you think the knife is worth. He paid more than the price I had on the knife! I don't know if it was an error on his part or not, he had the bills all folded together for an instant transaction. I did not count it until he had left out of some kind of
sentiment I felt at the time.

Just yesterday I had a guy tell me " I love the way you painted those stripes on the blade" it almost looks like damascus. When I told him it was damascus, he wanted to know which Japanese sword maker I buy it from because damascus is made only in Japan by Japanese artisans.

One thing most of the folks that say really insulting things to makers have in common, they know it all! The more they talk, the more they convince you how little they really know. I think you show gentlemen are really hanging out there on a limb for all the cruisers and abusers, but you show more patience than the run of the mill guy off the street. All the hard work, long hours, personal expense and probably aching feet and back while standing behind those tables, have to be really trying. Then up walks the guy in 2 pounds of gold chain and 9 rings and tells you the dumbest, most insulting remark you have heard to date. I don't mean an honest question, I mean the dumbest. You right then and there go into adult to child explanations, I think.

Back