what's so good about emerson knives

The ergonomics are GREAT.
The wave is okay.
The fit and finish is less than great...might be okay depending on what you like.
The steel works fine.
I actually like the pivot Emerson uses.
The chisel grind and/or chisel edge is not as wondrous for my uses, but still cuts stuff.

Pretty much my opinion on them as well.

In general there will be some things people would consider "off" with the fit, for instance the jimping on the handle scales not lining up exactly with the jimping on the liners, not much but a hair off. Or you will see some machining marks on the edges of the liners, for some thats huge, for others it doesn't matter.

For my use the chisel edge is just as good as a v ground edge, I honestly don't see any negatives in use and it seems to take a beating better.

If an owner wanted to they could clean up all of the small issues that some people have, a weak detent is easily fixed by tweaking the second detent in the non locking liner, machine marks can be sanded out, the bevel can be made into a v grind by taking a course stone to it, and the black finish can be all around avoided by ordering a stonewashed one. Fit and finish can be fixed, but you can't fix a lesser designed knife, which is in my opinion where Emersons shine. I've never had another folder that matches my A100 is sturdiness, even with its liner lock which has settled in at 80% engagement (and I'm completely confident in its protecting my fingers).

EKIs are a tool knife, not a jewelry knife.

If you can handle an Emerson before you buy it, its pretty much a sure thing you'll find out immediately if you love them or hate them.

Will not buy another Emerson. I've had a couple of their flagship model (2 CQC12, 1 combat kerambit), very disappointed in them. Definitely not for me. Their products are great for those who like them.

Will not buy another Emerson. I've had a couple of their flagship model (2 CQC12, 1 combat kerambit), very disappointed in them. Definitely not for me. Their products are great for those who like them.

I feel the same. Highly overrated IMO

I don't have any as tactical designs interest me only occasionally, HOWEVER I always thought that Emerson's A100 model has a wonderfully clean, pure and elegant basic design.

I like Emersons designs though. Some of the designs are awesome, but too bad they don't come with the same awesome-ness in F&F (including their locks).

I had a CQC11 from 2004. Light, ergonomic and easy to sharpen.

I sold it because I liked other knives more and EE is a right wing nutjob. I don't think they're even close to being worth what they cost, even after loving the 11.

I've had a couple Emerson's, but like a lot of folks responding, they are just not for me. The ones I had were well made with no fit/finish problems, but like others have said, the lock detent, and lockup was not what I had become accustomed to in other knives I had. If I had those knives now I would put some more bend in the locking liner to see if that would fix the problem.

Question answered.

Last edited:
I've had a couple Emerson's, but like a lot of folks responding, they are just not for me. The ones I had were well made with no fit/finish problems, but like others have said, the lock detent, and lockup was not what I had become accustomed to in other knives I had. If I had those knives now I would put some more bend in the locking liner to see if that would fix the problem.

I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but it might. I am curious as to why you said that EE is a right wing nutjob? Now I am not familiar with him other than as a knifemaker, so I ask this in good faith.

I try to stay away from politics around here but if you want to learn about EE's political views visit his subforum here. He doesn't post much but when he does many times its about his viewpoints in life and politics.

Thanks nevermind35, I will do that. Now that my question has been answered I am going to delete the last part of my post so that the can of worms does not get opened as this is a mostly political question, and KR is not the place for such discussion!:):)

Pro:

• Wave is cool (and works).
  • Knives are ergonomic.
  • Some of the designs are fairly unique (CQC-7)
  • Thumbdisk is novel.
  • Ernie Emerson seems like an upstanding guy.
  • Some of the sharpest factory edges around.

Cons:
  • Below average fit and finish.
  • Overpriced for what you get.
  • Coatings don't hold up.
  • Lock-bar travels way over.
  • Everything is black G10.

It might be easiest to say that they are decent knives but are not a good value. For the price range there are many options that are both better and worse than Emerson knives. Personally, I don't mind spending a bit more on a knife but the value has to be there. You can get something that is 20$ and is great for the price or for 500$. I'd say, in a market where everything is pretty level technology wise, it's more about finding value..... I also agree with several posts, that a lot of this comes down to preference.... for me though I'd pass them buy and maybe buy a Spyderco Mili or an Extrema BF2 in the 200$ price range.. or a ZT350 which is all the knife with half the price.....

I've had 3, sold two. I kept the CQC7 as it was a gift from my father. They all either had out-of-the-box or quickly developed all kinds of issues. May have been the single biggest contributor to my current fascination with cheapies.

A lot of people like them. A lot don't. I personally love them. The cool thing about emersons is that if you like your first, you will be sure to enjoy all of the other models. I recommend everyone to try one in their collecting lifetime. If you don't like it then sell it, Emersons are ALWAYS sold out everywhere so you wont have a problem with the second market.

I think they are quality well designed and well manufactured knives. I have been taking some of mine apart to grease and it struck me how much precision went into putting 4 slabs and a blade together all aligned perfectly with multiple holes and cutouts. As for the pivot, I think it's one of the best out there--highly user adjustable and zero blade play. You hear of blade play developing on Striders and even the ZT 551, but when was the last time you heard of blade play on an Emerson? It's non existent; I have 13 Emersons now and NONE has blade play; this says a lot about the pivot and lockup system. Emerson has been using the same pivot for more than a decade on all his production models, it better be good. He has the Walker liner lock down to a science so to speak, I trust it 100%

Emerson is not just talking the talk, check out the thickness of the blade tip, check out the grind, and really check out Ankerson's CQC13 torture test. It can take a beating--and so yes you are paying a premium over the other tested knives that FAILED: Manix2, Griptillian... You are also paying extra for the wave. And overall the MSRP is IMO inflated, which is why I never pay full MSRP. Use KC or GPknives for a fair price. When you pay 30% or so below MSRP, that is a GOOD deal and you get a lota knife for the money.

This is all coming from unbiased observer here. I'm no fanboi; search up some of my posts from the Emerson forum and you can see have been highly vocal and critical of the company BUT NOT it's knives. Customer service has been top notch ever since I got into them and they are now just starting to increase volume in production.

Had a few, never liked them. What is a "pro" when your $200+ knife can't keep a pivot screw tight? Two openings and it was practically falling out. F&F was not up to my expectations, especially for the purported extensive hand finishing the knives endure.

Not to mention the blade only had one bevel on it. :rolleyes:

Had a few, never liked them. What is a "pro" when your $200+ knife can't keep a pivot screw tight? Two openings and it was practically falling out. F&F was not up to my expectations, especially for the purported extensive hand finishing the knives endure.

Not to mention the blade only had one bevel on it. :rolleyes:

Unfair exaggeration there about the pivot. I don't use any threadlock on mine and it's perfectly fine.

I got his blackhawk,fixed police model, and karambit. All are very well made. The fixed blade is great for Edc. The only thing I didn't like is the sheath. No way to mount horizontal without modifications.

The thing that really impressed me is I met him at a show and he took the time to talk to you, and not at you. He shares info and that to e means a lot.

Hi videos are very informative as well. Im not a follower of any one brand, if it works, I'll use it. Is his the best, maybe not. But for my purpose, self defense, back up to a CDs they fit the roll perfect. Would I want to use them for utility work? No.
Just my opinion hope it helps.

Why does Emerson use titanium liners? That makes no sense to me. Steel would wear slower, be stronger, and cost less. How much weight do you save .5-1oz.? For such "hard use tactical" knives, this seems counter intuitive.

I have always liked Emersons non-tanto designs a lot but their pricing bothers me. They are charging a chunk of dough for what I feel are pretty basic knives with a very entry level steel. I cant understand why they cost so much. They claim its because they are 100% made in America and therefore will cost more but how does that explain knives like the Spyderco Military which is also 100% made in America and costs considerably less and offers a superior steel to boot.

ZT managed to produce their limited run 0551 with ELMAX steel for $199, which is close to what a lot of Emerson knives sell for (several are more than that). The 0551 is a framelock with a top end steel.... and its 100% made in America.

I have also seen way too many Emersons with locks that have travelled all the way over to the right. I personally would prefer a liner lock similar to the Military myself. There seems to be a problem with that liner lock design that Emerson uses, not sure if its because the Ti is too soft or the tolerances not tight enough or what.

Back