1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's So Special About the Southard

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by dzlvs8, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Razorsharp-Travis

Razorsharp-Travis Banned BANNED

Aug 16, 2011
    Low price of about 230 USD , Extremely tight tolerances, 204p steel kicks ass , I love the steel so much. Ti framelock is perfectly executed with NO play up or sideways, no stick in the lock, you cant even force it to stick. pretty thin behind the edge, fast, crazy smooth running on bearings, superb ergos,..... It feels like street should be 400 and MSRP should be 700

2. nuckingfuts

nuckingfuts

Dec 20, 2011
    Its not to hard to understand.

Good design by a great maker, great materials, well crafted, performs great.

3. TekNyc

TekNyc

Mar 29, 2011
    1/2 inch bigger handle, this knife would be perfect.

4. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    A lot of value for the money!

5. jon1all

jon1all Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2012
    No. It may wear over time, but it won't get on your hands or pocket.

6. DapperDan

DapperDan

Aug 3, 2009
    I had a Southhard. It didn't make me feel good. I sold it. It did not feel good in the hand like my 0560.

7. RICKSTER

RICKSTER Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I'm with powernoodle, I have had 3 of them & they just don't do it for me, I just picked up a Domino & as far as I'm concerned the Domino blows the Southard out of the water, that's my 2 cents worth.

8. 762cal

762cal

May 15, 2010
    nicely said :thumbup:

9. MooseStuff

MooseStuff

Jun 13, 2012
    I will just say this. I sold my Sebenza soon after getting the Southard.

10. unlimitednights

unlimitednights

Dec 24, 2012
    I agree, it is definitely a very cool knife and after owning a Techno, I understand how near perfect Spyderco's Titanium knives out of that shop are. I am interested in getting one because it looks great, feels great in the hand, and again, LOOKS GREAT!

The thing that I can't wrap my head around is I am currently trying to trade a Small Sebenza for a Southard and certain people are scoffing at me, as if I am crazy to insinuate that a Sebenza would ever be close to value to a Southard. Spyderco has a great supply and demand attitude and approach to things.

11. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    there really is no point in discussing how 'special' one knife is over another. Different strokes, for different folks. No need to beat each other up over what we like or don't like.
    Speaking of the Southard though, I very much like mine. It is smooth, sharp, effective, and feels very good in MY hand. ;)
    [​IMG]

12. MEJ

MEJ

Jul 24, 2011
    Its also very new, so only time will tell. I ended up buying one because i thing it looks awesome, and it was from a knife from an awesome company that i really like :thumbup:.

13. clockman

clockman

Jan 14, 2009

I agree 1000%. I have big hands....the handle is too short for my hand, but I carry mine anyway. Not as much as I should tho.

I started a thread before I got mine to ask if the handle is long enough for big hands. Most responses said yes. The handle is not long enough

for a guy with big hands.

14. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    My index finger wants to move in front of the flipper, but I'm getting used to it. I'd prefer it to have a larger hole, thinner blade (3mm), thinner scales and no flipper, but despite this I carry it a lot.

Perfect fit and finish, great materials, carries small, lots of blade when open. I didn't like the clip, but Steve fixed that:
    [​IMG]

15. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    I just bought a $1,000 knife, and I love it, I feel great, no joke. :)

16. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Awesome!
    Now show us some photos of it in use. :D

17. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    It's not a Spyderco... so not really appropriate to post here?

18. Sigifrith

Sigifrith

Jan 18, 2004
    I had ignored it til recently. Then I bought a ZT0560 mainly for the looks, but also to try a flipper. It was a PITA, but some mods to the blade & frame made it worthwhile. Next a 0560CBCF and what a
    difference. Like night to day VS the original. That got me interested in flippers, so why not try a Spydie? I did some reading, and had the STR low rider waiting for my new Southard that I got in trade for a Millie.
    Got a cool scale coming for it too.
    It is less intimidating to folks who aren't knife people, so thats a plus too. Spydiesharp right out of the box. I'll be using it later today when my newest knife arrives.

19. mr_anderson

mr_anderson

Mar 30, 2004
    It's a Taichung model, what more needs to be said?

20. Razorsharp-Travis

Razorsharp-Travis Banned BANNED

Aug 16, 2011
    :D not a whisper