What's So Special About the Southard

Low price of about 230 USD , Extremely tight tolerances, 204p steel kicks ass , I love the steel so much. Ti framelock is perfectly executed with NO play up or sideways, no stick in the lock, you cant even force it to stick. pretty thin behind the edge, fast, crazy smooth running on bearings, superb ergos,..... It feels like street should be 400 and MSRP should be 700

Its not to hard to understand.

Good design by a great maker, great materials, well crafted, performs great.

Low price of about 230 USD , Extremely tight tolerances, 204p steel kicks ass , I love the steel so much. Ti framelock is perfectly executed with NO play up or sideways, no stick in the lock, you cant even force it to stick. pretty thin behind the edge, fast, crazy smooth running on bearings, superb ergos,..... It feels like street should be 400 and MSRP should be 700

A lot of value for the money!

Let me just add that having $240 in my pocket currently makes me feel better than having a Southard in my pocket, so I don't own a Southard. See how that works? We do whatever makes us feel good.

I had a Southhard. It didn't make me feel good. I sold it. It did not feel good in the hand like my 0560.

Let me just add that having $240 in my pocket currently makes me feel better than having a Southard in my pocket, so I don't own a Southard. See how that works? We do whatever makes us feel good.
I'm with powernoodle, I have had 3 of them & they just don't do it for me, I just picked up a Domino & as far as I'm concerned the Domino blows the Southard out of the water, that's my 2 cents worth.

I agree, it is definitely a very cool knife and after owning a Techno, I understand how near perfect Spyderco's Titanium knives out of that shop are. I am interested in getting one because it looks great, feels great in the hand, and again, LOOKS GREAT!

The thing that I can't wrap my head around is I am currently trying to trade a Small Sebenza for a Southard and certain people are scoffing at me, as if I am crazy to insinuate that a Sebenza would ever be close to value to a Southard. Spyderco has a great supply and demand attitude and approach to things.

there really is no point in discussing how 'special' one knife is over another. Different strokes, for different folks. No need to beat each other up over what we like or don't like.
Speaking of the Southard though, I very much like mine. It is smooth, sharp, effective, and feels very good in MY hand. ;)

Its also very new, so only time will tell. I ended up buying one because i thing it looks awesome, and it was from a knife from an awesome company that i really like :thumbup:.

1/2 inch bigger handle, this knife would be perfect.

I agree 1000%. I have big hands....the handle is too short for my hand, but I carry mine anyway. Not as much as I should tho.

I started a thread before I got mine to ask if the handle is long enough for big hands. Most responses said yes. The handle is not long enough

for a guy with big hands.

My index finger wants to move in front of the flipper, but I'm getting used to it. I'd prefer it to have a larger hole, thinner blade (3mm), thinner scales and no flipper, but despite this I carry it a lot.

Perfect fit and finish, great materials, carries small, lots of blade when open. I didn't like the clip, but Steve fixed that:

It makes people feel good to own it. That is a most excellent reason for buying a knife, and for any of us who own more than a couple knives, its the primary reason we buy knives. The Southard will not dice a cucumber or kill a cardboard box better than other sharp knives of similar size and configuration. But that's not the point. And the stuff about the Southard's design, the materials, the flipper, the whatever - that's really all about how people justify the cost. But when you distill away the knife-speak, its all about feeling good. For more on this subject, see the Chris Reeve, Busse and ZT forums. For basically any knife over maybe $125, what you are buying is the emotion of feeling good and not so much the performance. That is to say, as a general rule, a $300 knife really doesn't cut 3x better than a $100 knife, and certainly not 10x better than a $30 knife. This view is not wholly supported around here, because sometimes reality is a sour apple to swallow, but its still the truth. And I'm not dissing the Southard or any other spendy knife, and I own more than my fair share of them, but you asked a question and got an honest answer. We all like to feel good, and spendy knives give us that emotion.

I just bought a $1,000 knife, and I love it, I feel great, no joke. :)

I had ignored it til recently. Then I bought a ZT0560 mainly for the looks, but also to try a flipper. It was a PITA, but some mods to the blade & frame made it worthwhile. Next a 0560CBCF and what a
difference. Like night to day VS the original. That got me interested in flippers, so why not try a Spydie? I did some reading, and had the STR low rider waiting for my new Southard that I got in trade for a Millie.
Got a cool scale coming for it too.
It is less intimidating to folks who aren't knife people, so thats a plus too. Spydiesharp right out of the box. I'll be using it later today when my newest knife arrives.

Back