What's that you're eating?

Wife requested Bánh Mi today, so I obliged. I do it a little less authentically: instead of char grilling thin slices of pork I'll braise chunks of pork shoulder until almost falling apart. Lots of trimmings from the shoulder:

1000001194.jpg

Rendered into 1 part cracklings, and 2 parts lard:

1000001198.jpg

No bánh mi pics tonight, maybe tomorrow.

diving for wilde oniones

I had to quit doing that kinda biking about 10 years ago, when I almost broke a hip crashing on the way down the mountain at Steamboat Springs Ski area. My entire left upper thigh was one big bruise, and it's still misshapen that makes me wonder if I did indeed crack a bone just a little.

I ate some dirt today.
I ate some dirt today also...

The “dirt” wing was invented at J. Timothy’s Taverne. Even though other places do call their wings “dirty-style” please do not accept substitutes. Our Dirt Wings are fried and sauced, then fried again and sauced again. We don’t charge extra for this! Some people call this double-sauced, double- fried. We just call ‘em dirt! It results in a wing that is caramelized and a bit crispier. There will be charred bits and they are delicious. They are not burnt! That is the sauce caramelized on the wing.

Dirt wings were created by one of our guests, Barry, who was on our softball team. After the games he would come in with the rest of the team and order wings. He was nicknamed “Dirt” because he was the oldest one on the team, i.e. “old as dirt”. Ha. Barry was very sociable; he would talk and talk and tell great stories. His wings would sit while he finished his stories. By the time he was done socializing his wings would be cold. He said to our Chef, “Just add some more sauce and re-fry them.” What? Well we tried it, for Barry, and everyone realized they tasted really, really good when fried and sauced again. Voila! The “Dirt” Wing was born. Thanks Barry!

xsQ48qy.jpeg

Also had the Tater Tot Poutine with braised beef short ribs.

I had to quit doing that kinda biking about 10 years ago, when I almost broke a hip crashing on the way down the mountain at Steamboat Springs Ski area. My entire left upper thigh was one big bruise, and it's still misshapen that makes me wonder if I did indeed crack a bone just a little.
the first steep in that edit is where I gave myself a hernia several years ago- hit a little patch of ice, (new year's day ride) went otb down the rock face and tore the muscle above the groin area. Took a few months for the small intestine to start poking through and then a few more months before I got surgery. When it came time to cut me open, I opted for local anesthesia instead of getting knocked out, but it just didn't take. They injected as much as my body weight could allow, and I could still feel the scalpel, the needle and everything else. The worst part was that for weeks later, the pain was almost unbearable, but it was from the multiple injections of pain killer and not the surgery itself. Did I take the painkillers they prescribed? Of course not, because I obviously have some judgment issues.

Back