What's the BEST Folder You Have...and YOUR FAVORITE?

Best: Functionality-wise, my Benchmade Griptilian...or my Mini-Grip.

Favorite: My most recent purchases, probably: Kershaw OD-2 and/or Benchmade 755 MPR.

Somewhat Ironically. my favorites are the most expensive and the least expensive of my collection.

My favorite is my Cold Steel Black Sable I love everything about it, very sexy.

My best are the two I always carry my Emerson Super Commander and my Case Sow Belly.

Best: Al Mar eagle ultralight or Benchmade Bali-song (forgot the model number)

Favorite - not so much favorite, but the one that I can't seem to find a replacement for: CS Voyager 4" clip point. Had it for about 4 years and it gets carried almost 100% of the time. Lots of hard use and still functions like it just came out o the box. I'm about to order a new one just to keep in my dresser cause the line is being "upgraded" and this model won't be available anymore. I have a box of knives I've bought thinking I could find one that does it all better, but they've all gotten retired in short order.

My best and favorite knife, Emerson CQC-15 mod. :thumbup:

57.jpg

My best and favorite folder hands down is my large Sebenza 21. Second place is my Emerson CQC7b. Honorable mention is my Spyderco Manix old style.

I love these subjective questions....

Lets see:

Best Artwork: Brad Fairall Black Pearl Auto
Best Finish: Todd Begg Gent's Glimpse
Best Bargain: BYRD Catbyrd
Best Flipper: Tim Galyean Pro Series - Any of them...
Best Pocket Comfort: Spyderco Military with Rick Hinderer XM-18 a close second
Best Pocket Clip: Rick Hinderer XM-18
Best Durability: Rick Hinderer XM-18
Best Lock: Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock

I usually carry an XM-18 because it wins most of the important EDC categories.

SMF. I like to know I can burrow out of Shawshank before my knife wears out. Just in case.

Best: lonewolf harsey carbon fiber s30v
Fav: Emerson A-100(usually paired with case amber jack)

My best folder, by far, is a liner lock.... gads, that was hard to say! My second 'best' is a Buck 110... any Buck 110, probably, but I do have a Damascus bladed custom that should be tops.

Oh, my best is the new Buck #419 Kalinga Pro in S30V, in the middle below. At the bottom is the collector tin version of the 110 that was carried by Wally World pre-Christmas - for $30! That polished blade is bright, but the 'Al Buck' signature reportedly fades with some oils.

IMG_0456_edited.jpg

Stainz

Whaat is the top knife? I need it.

I love these subjective questions....

Lets see:

Best Artwork: Brad Fairall Black Pearl Auto
Best Finish: Todd Begg Gent's Glimpse
Best Bargain: BYRD Catbyrd
Best Flipper: Tim Galyean Pro Series - Any of them...
Best Pocket Comfort: Spyderco Military with Rick Hinderer XM-18 a close second
Best Pocket Clip: Rick Hinderer XM-18
Best Durability: Rick Hinderer XM-18
Best Lock: Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock

I usually carry an XM-18 because it wins most of the important EDC categories.
Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about the XM-18. It's certainly smooth to open and close, though the flipper seems like it was put in as an afterthought, kind of like the appendix. Mine has very little detent to keep the blade in. I can loosen the pivot enough to make flipping easy, though the blade can be prone to flopping right out in that state. I currently have the pivot turned tight enough so I can't hold the knife upside down and simply drop the blade out, though it makes flipping nigh impossible, and I can still "flick" the blade out if I put my arm into it(not wrist flick though). Not sure if that would legally make my XM-18 a "gravity knife".

The edge can get sharp enough for me to drop a Roma tomato on it and split it in half, though attempting to simply cut a beefsteak tomato results in the cut curving somewhat due to the thick grind. Kind of hard to imagine someone trying to whittle wood with it. I'm sure if the cut is thin enough you could do it, though it sounds like it might be a risky prospect given the extra force necessary. I don't want to sound insulting, but it seems to me like the XM-18 is a folding prybar that just happens to cut things. Which might not be that far off the mark given that the spanto grind is supposed to increase prying tip strength(a thick tip alone is usually enough for regular tip strength) without sacrificing as much belly as an Americanized Tanto grind.

I'm on the fence for an Umnumzaan because of that. I don't find much need to pry things with my knife. Though it'll be hard to find a good mid-tech folder with such bright orange scales. Not sure about Yuna because ZDP just isn't corrosion resistant enough for me.

Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about the XM-18. It's certainly smooth to open and close, though the flipper seems like it was put in as an afterthought, kind of like the appendix. Mine has very little detent to keep the blade in. I can loosen the pivot enough to make flipping easy, though the blade can be prone to flopping right out in that state. I currently have the pivot turned tight enough so I can't hold the knife upside down and simply drop the blade out, though it makes flipping nigh impossible, and I can still "flick" the blade out if I put my arm into it(not wrist flick though). Not sure if that would legally make my XM-18 a "gravity knife".

The edge can get sharp enough for me to drop a Roma tomato on it and split it in half, though attempting to simply cut a beefsteak tomato results in the cut curving somewhat due to the thick grind. Kind of hard to imagine someone trying to whittle wood with it. I'm sure if the cut is thin enough you could do it, though it sounds like it might be a risky prospect given the extra force necessary. I don't want to sound insulting, but it seems to me like the XM-18 is a folding prybar that just happens to cut things. Which might not be that far off the mark given that the spanto grind is supposed to increase prying tip strength(a thick tip alone is usually enough for regular tip strength) without sacrificing as much belly as an Americanized Tanto grind.

I'm on the fence for an Umnumzaan because of that. I don't find much need to pry things with my knife. Though it'll be hard to find a good mid-tech folder with such bright orange scales. Not sure about Yuna because ZDP just isn't corrosion resistant enough for me.

The Tip on the Zaan isn't really that much thicker than the Tip on a Spyderco Military. ;)

Really? The tip on my Sebenza seemed pretty thick to me, would you say the Umnumzaan has the thinner tip between the two?

No, that's not what I was saying, but it is thinner than the Sebenza tip.

The blade shape is different than you would think it is, something you would have to have in hand to understand I think, remember the Military has a Distal tapered blade to the tip is very fine.

The Zaan's tip is thicker than the Military, but not that much compared to some of the other blades you have.

If you watched my ZAAN EDC video you can see how well it cuts.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems pretty much like the Sebenza as far as performance goes. Though I'm not sure if I want to spend another $400 for essentially the same knife with only the thumbstuds being the obvious difference. I like my Sebbie, it's just the thumbstuds that bugs the hell out of me.

Though with my R.J. Martin Overkill, I'm wondering if the Umnumzaan would introduce anything new to me, and if the best solution would be to just stop buying knives:eek:.

Yes, it seems pretty much like the Sebenza as far as performance goes. Though I'm not sure if I want to spend another $400 for essentially the same knife with only the thumbstuds being the obvious difference. I like my Sebbie, it's just the thumbstuds that bugs the hell out of me.

Though with my R.J. Martin Overkill, I'm wondering if the Umnumzaan would introduce anything new to me, and if the best solution would be to just stop buying knives:eek:.

They aren't really the same, don't feel the same or handle the same.

I like the Zaan so much I ordered another one, but this one in S35VN if that tells you anything. :)

ZAAN vers Para 2 Photos for size etc.

Cutting edges lined up:

DSC_31281.JPG

Overall lengh:

DSC_3131.JPG

DSC_3133.JPG

Side By Side:

DSC_3134.JPG

Tip Comparison:

DSC_3130.JPG

Back