whats the best Swamp Rat in your opinion

Hi, I'm new to posting on blade forums and I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best blade from Swamp Rat. I am a big fan of the Ratmandu. What do you think?

Hi, I'm new to posting on blade forums and I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best blade from Swamp Rat. I am a big fan of the Ratmandu. What do you think?

The ratmandu is very high on the greatness level. The ratweiler, particularly in infi, is my fave overall though. Some of the older ones like the rat mastiff would be sweet but they were before I got into Busse kin. The chopweiler is one I need to obtain too.

There's no such thing as a bad Swamprat or any knife from Busse family of knives.
Personal preference dictates some are better than others. Buy whichever YOU think suits your needs and after putting her thru her paces, give us a review. Pics are a plus.

I'm a big RMD fan...but it isn't exactly practical for EDC in my world (doesn't mean I don't do it from time to time)
Most treasured? Probably my Waki(s)
Most carried/used? Rodent 3

I carry a RMD everyday and have for the last 3 years and it has never let me down. I also have a ratwieler I use on occasion to get out some frustrations, it is a custom model and sometimes I feel bad that I abuse her and her black paper handles but she never complains.

I carry a RMD everyday and have for the last 3 years and it has never let me down. I also have a ratwieler I use on occasion to get out some frustrations, it is a custom model and sometimes I feel bad that I abuse her and her black paper handles but she never complains.

I'm really not sure how much abuse the ratweilers can take before actually being damaged, but I do know that it must be a lot. I beat the heck out of mine for several years before getting an infi weiler. Even as the thinner cut version, I was far from gentle on it and used it as a work knife for clearing up branches from downed trees I was harvesting for firewood and wood projects at home.

Patina thick enough, I was actually knocking it back off from chopping with it. I've used it as a machete, chopper, kitchen knife (not the best), and a little bot of between. It's kind of my backup for everything or "the one" if I could only carry one with me. I was afraid I would like the nano fusion steel heart more, but the ratweiler easily beat for me as an all-rounder (handle much more comfortable chopping).
l2rd7Hwl.jpg

In terms of the current collection:

Chopweilers are the most prized.

Jackmandu is the most used.

BG SOS is most EDC friendly. (Yeah, technically a Busse, but c'mon man, it's a Rat ;))

RMD LE is the most satin. Great blade, but tend to reach for the JMD or SOS over it most of the time, depending on the task.

Rucki is the most unused :( Got one in disco'd Tanker Gray and black/tan g10 off the Exchange a while back but hesitate to use it due to the somewhat rare combo. Also could stand to be a bit lighter imo. Micarta scales might help a little in that dept.

wow, all great thoughts on this. ill have to take my ratwieler out for more fun here in the near future. maybe ill post some videos or pics of it if I get the chance to.

wow, all great thoughts on this. ill have to take my ratwieler out for more fun here in the near future. maybe ill post some videos or pics of it if I get the chance to.

I think if you have a ratweiler and ratmandu, there's not much need to get another fixed blade knife unless you need a machete or fine carving tool. Wanting something different, is a different story. I think if I could have any pairing, that combo would be very, very high on my list. Add in a small folder like a trapper or spyderco native (your choice of EDC sized modern folder) and you're good for many years of adventuring and regular life stuff.

oh I got plenty of Busse and Kin in my arsenal for sure. I have a thick battle grade fusion steel heart, battle grade ak-47, dog soldier 8 military over run, infi combat grade battle saw with solid OD g-10 handles, fmv8 comp finish, 3 scrapivores, 2 SYCO 311's, 2 swamprat skeleton wardens on top of my ratwieler and RMD.

Desert Jack or any of the Rat Daddy/Rat Mastiff/Ratweiler. Best handles on any production knives IMO.

I'm a res-c guy so it's a Howling Rat Gen 1 for me...or gotta grab one do it all knife...probably the Camp Tramp.

Apologies for the crappy pic, need to take one in better light...

jhZcHsK.jpg

I plan to sell that 2-tone RMD as well as the muddy+brown FFG INFImandu... then I'll need to decide if i can part with any of the other 3...

A couple more rats still in my possession:

Rodent 9 - heavily used, eventually I ground the edge thinner for my use:
57KRsrP.jpg
hrUzAye.jpg

Rodent Solution - most of the coating damage came from using it to cut apart steel roofing for my haybarn/shed:
4yyDiXQ.jpg

Back