What's The Deal?

d762nato

Gold Member
I just recently started looking at the Gec knives never been into the Traditional folders all that much. What gets me is every time I go to look at them for sale around here it's like BAM! Gone! Those Gec knives sell faster than I can click on them to check them out.

Talking about a bunch of Sharks around here, they sell within a couple of minutes. I've bee looking at one that really caught my eye it's a #72 Cody Scout Stag boy what a beauty. There are a few more I really like but the stag scales really set them off for me. Do I have to sit on the Traditional folder f/s forum with my fingers on the keys waiting or what. I'm kind of slow with the whole keyboard thing. :(

Yep, you're right. Those GEC's go fast.

About the best you can do is post in the "Wanted To Buy" sub forum and/or subscribe to the
"For Sale: Traditionals, Slipjoints, "Old Timey" sub forum.

Good luck!

Agree with the statements above. Keep an eye out in the for sale section, but also put out a “want to buy” ad. I’ve done that for several GEC’s with good results. Good luck in your search, the hunt is part of the fun :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pretty much .
But there are other options I hope will act as shark repellant.
*Pre order on dealers sites.
*Flipper prices
*Keep a weather eye on the for sale forum here
*Get a quicker internet speed plan.
Those are the only sensible ones I can think of.

I've looked all around different sites fleabay ect. ect. The prices on these are all over the place. I'm looking at the 72, 99, 47, and the Freemont jack. I'm sure a few other will peak my interest but right now still looking at all the different models offered. Thanks Folks for all the help.

I just recently started looking at the Gec knives never been into the Traditional folders all that much. What gets me is every time I go to look at them for sale around here it's like BAM! Gone! Those Gec knives sell faster than I can click on them to check them out.

Talking about a bunch of Sharks around here, they sell within a couple of minutes. I've bee looking at one that really caught my eye it's a #72 Cody Scout Stag boy what a beauty. There are a few more I really like but the stag scales really set them off for me. Do I have to sit on the Traditional folder f/s forum with my fingers on the keys waiting or what. I'm kind of slow with the whole keyboard thing. :(
I can picture a Moderator coming in and say that this belongs in GBU. Before that happens, let me say that I can feel your pain. Like you, I and many others, have experienced your frustration when first venturing into traditionals. I eventually learned to relax and look at this as a private challenge. The time I experienced in missing out, was spent on lurking and learning how to acquire, but slowly recognizing just how many great traditionals there are. More cool knives than I can possibly ever afford. I feel like I am getting a great education here. free. While I’m learning, I have been slowly collecting better knive, and understanding why they are better.

You would think a great knife is something that gets held onto not go up for sale. I guess I don't get it.

I am not a collector, so I don't get spun up about GEC knives. That said, I recommend you search on GEC knife dealers, then get on the email list of all of them. That way, you have a chance to get new releases as they come out or pre-order ones you like. Even then, there's no guarantee unless you check your email multiple times a day. One dealer I get emails from sent me one the other day for a pattern and handle material I was mildly interested in, but I didn't check my email until 4 hours later and they were already sold out.

To be honest, there's no reason to stress over the way GEC releases their knives. Their knives are great, but not worth stressing over. In my opinion, they artificially create scarcity, which causes people to immediately buy new releases, regardless of whether they actually like the pattern. I'm sure the secondary market profits from this. If they really cared about knife enthusiasts, they would release large production numbers of the most popular patterns.

I dislike threads with titles that do not state what the thread is about. Maybe I should start a GBU thread?!
I second that.
Still . . . there were two or three GECs that I wanted. I tend to notice them months or years after they are made. Only the Grinling Whittler in ebony stirs me enough to consider jumping through the hoops.

Not today though.

In my opinion, they artificially create scarcity,
Thas not an opinion that is a FACT and part of what Ts me off and TURNS ME OFF about GEC.
If they had the same consistency in quality manufacturing that SAK has I might glance their way more often.
Or
and that is a big O' giant OR
If they offered seriously tempting blade alloys . . . OK . . . M4.
Then I might look the other way on funny fit and finish and making me sleep all night out in a line on the side walk in front of the store.
I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.

Plenty of dealers have Great Eastern knives in stock.
If you see one you want in a For Sale thread, don't dilly-dally.
Upcoming models of interest can be pre-ordered.

I can picture a Moderator coming in and say that this belongs in GBU. Before that happens, let me say that I can feel your pain. Like you, I and many others, have experienced your frustration when first venturing into traditionals. I eventually learned to relax and look at this as a private challenge. The time I experienced in missing out, was spent on lurking and learning how to acquire, but slowly recognizing just how many great traditionals there are. More cool knives than I can possibly ever afford. I feel like I am getting a great education here. free. While I’m learning, I have been slowly collecting better knive, and understanding why they are better.
Well I'm hanging in there and I'll keep hunting. Thanks for all the thoughtful info much appreciated.

I dislike threads with titles that do not state what the thread is about. Maybe I should start a GBU thread?!
I'm sorry about that I guess I had too much coffee, my wife says it makes me mean.

I am not a collector, so I don't get spun up about GEC knives. That said, I recommend you search on GEC knife dealers, then get on the email list of all of them. That way, you have a chance to get new releases as they come out or pre-order ones you like. Even then, there's no guarantee unless you check your email multiple times a day. One dealer I get emails from sent me one the other day for a pattern and handle material I was mildly interested in, but I didn't check my email until 4 hours later and they were already sold out.
I guess I'm way late too the game for some of the models I mentioned. I'll just keep hunting I rekon. Thanks,

To be honest, there's no reason to stress over the way GEC releases their knives. Their knives are great, but not worth stressing over. In my opinion, they artificially create scarcity, which causes people to immediately buy new releases, regardless of whether they actually like the pattern. I'm sure the secondary market profits from this. If they really cared about knife enthusiasts, they would release large production numbers of the most popular patterns.
You may be right as I've seen another company that does the same and they also sell out quickly. I just can't get past the flipper prices I tend to see.

This is why I could never gather much interest in GEC knives. I don't like the 'hard to get' boutique thing. It's like they took a lesson from Harley-Davisdon in playing hard to get to stimulate sales demand. It's a perverse trait of human character to want what is hard to get, in the theory that it must be that much better.

jackknife always makes the point well. I got in on GEC very early when the big auction site was selling them in the $30's to $40's range. Most of them are still in the tube. It was obvious they were good products, so I hung around a little longer. I backed off after everyone got interested and prices elevated. That still didn't stop me from getting an initial TC barlow run and a few other choice pickings along the way. The last one I bought was the 2014 BF Knife. The TC and 2014 are in the tubes. I won't know how many tubes there are until, or if, I get a Gold membership.

To the OP, don't get too hung up on a given GEC. They're all good, but no single pattern is worth the fret.

So, when is the right #66 user going to come along?

In my opinion, they artificially create scarcity, which causes people to immediately buy new releases, regardless of whether they actually like the pattern.

Thas not an opinion that is a FACT...

With all due respect, I think this not only lacks an actual understanding of how GEC operates; but also offers a slap to the face of everyone that "buys one whether they have enough sense to know if they want it or not".

Simply because there are patterns that are very popular and the factory doesn't sit and churn them out for six months of the year each - does not mean they are "artificially creating scarcity". It is curious to how when one asks for examples of such, the few patterns that have became the most demanded year over year are those quoted. Everyone fails to acknowledge that most patterns sit in dealer inventory for about as long as most dealers want things sitting in inventory. What it really boils down to is "GEC didn't make enough of the knife I want for me to get one - thus it is just a marketing ploy".

If GEC wanted to create scarcity they wouldn't be about to start a 2 month long run of #97's. That is 1/6th of the year to accommodate dealer orders; which is gathered from customer interests.

I see this type of comment often. And I do understand how it could seem that way if viewing from 1000 foot away. But it is completely lacking of understanding of the processes and procedures the factory has put in place; and why they were put in place.

Back