What's The Deal?

With all due respect, I think this not only lacks an actual understanding of how GEC operates; but also offers a slap to the face of everyone that "buys one whether they have enough sense to know if they want it or not".

Simply because there are patterns that are very popular and the factory doesn't sit and churn them out for six months of the year each - does not mean they are "artificially creating scarcity". It is curious to how when one asks for examples of such, the few patterns that have became the most demanded year over year are those quoted. Everyone fails to acknowledge that most patterns sit in dealer inventory for about as long as most dealers want things sitting in inventory. What it really boils down to is "GEC didn't make enough of the knife I want for me to get one - thus it is just a marketing ploy".

If GEC wanted to create scarcity they wouldn't be about to start a 2 month long run of #97's. That is 1/6th of the year to accommodate dealer orders; which is gathered from customer interests.

I see this type of comment often. And I do understand how it could seem that way if viewing from 1000 foot away. But it is completely lacking of understanding of the processes and procedures the factory has put in place; and why they were put in place.

I'm not entirely buying your argument. The knife I mentioned having mild interest in was the new Pemberton in smooth natural white bone. I got an email saying they were in stock at a dealer, but since I didn't see the email for 4 hours, they were sold out. 4 HOURS! So why did GEC think only making 200 in natural bone and 200 in stag was a good idea when they made 500 each of the blue jigged bone and muslin micarta? The latter are still easy to find in dealer inventory, including the micarta at your shop. One could make a case they decided to make the natural bone and stag ones rare.

I'm not entirely buying your argument. The knife I mentioned having mild interest in was the new Pemberton in smooth natural white bone. I got an email saying they were in stock at a dealer, but since I didn't see the email for 4 hours, they were sold out. 4 HOURS! So why did GEC think only making 200 in natural bone and 200 in stag was a good idea when they made 500 each of the blue jigged bone and muslin micarta? The latter are still easy to find in dealer inventory, including the micarta at your shop. One could make a case they decided to make the natural bone and stag ones rare.

This is a prime example of what I posted. The plan was for 500 smooth white. As far as I know 350 have been allocated. But GEC split-ships many times, especially at the end of the month. So, they sent me a few last Wednesday, which I received over the weekend; then they sent another handful on Friday, which I received yesterday; they should send me more tomorrow. But when you have 30 dealers in an attempt to get the product to as wide an swath as possible - that leaves each dealer with limited number. The smooth white is the popular one, so they sell quicker. I don't have them listed because I allocate to Early Reserves fully before making them generally available.

There are always many factors involved - but trying to play games as suggested is the last thing on their minds.

This is a prime example of what I posted. The plan was for 500 smooth white. As far as I know 350 have been allocated. But GEC split-ships many times, especially at the end of the month. So, they sent me a few last Wednesday, which I received over the weekend; then they sent another handful on Friday, which I received yesterday; they should send me more tomorrow. But when you have 30 dealers in an attempt to get the product to as wide an swath as possible - that leaves each dealer with limited number. The smooth white is the popular one, so they sell quicker. I don't have them listed because I allocate to Early Reserves fully before making them generally available.

There are always many factors involved - but trying to play games as suggested is the last thing on their minds.

OK, I'm an idiot. I'll shut up now. I was going by the original Pemberton post that said 200/200/500/500. Apparently that changed.

OK, I'm an idiot. I'll shut up now. I was going by the original Pemberton post that said 200/200/500/500. Apparently that changed.

Nobody's an idiot. We have all just gotten really good at jumping to conclusions - me being one of the worst. I think the original intent was to make 500ea of the singles and 250ea of the doubles with stag being significantly less because a) stag is getting very hard to find; and b) stag is sitting on the shelves from the last few runs. Where they ended up on production - I do not know.

I just keep waiting for some of the patterns I want to be done in stainless until then I am just looking and saying that sure looks good if only it was in 440C.

PaulS. PaulS. You’re not an idiot. If you were, then I and many others would also be in the club. An idiot is someone who sees the facts and doesn’t accept them. Look...GECs, especially new ones or hard to get previous models can be challenging to acquire. Like any other hard to get knives from other manufacturers, takes a plan. I go to GEC’s Dealer List and see which ones(most) have pre-order notification and put my name on the list. I read everything related to the knife I want right here on BladeForums. When the knives are released, I scan the sales threads. Many times you can find what you want at reasonable prices. My middle fingers silently and reflexively extends at those offered at greedily priced. I never give up if still unsuccessful. I often find that I will eventually get the knife, or will be relieved that I didn’t get it, and that I wanted it because of my knife addiction.

Figuring all this out is daunting at first, but it gets eventually easier.

Last edited:
Anybody new to Traditionals or GEC in particular, I'd recommend they buy a user from the Exchange, a 15 won't be horrifically dear but it will give you a very good idea of the essence of their knives and whether you like them or not.

Otherwise, patience is a virtue and a must. My Cat has extreme patience when hunting and she get's what she want's, in the end ;):D

I think with GEC is happening something similar as with Rolex on the watch world. People are outraged that the brand is holding production o the steel models to create hype. But I’ve seen an explanation taking into account production numbers per year and it came to the conclusion that every authorised dealer was getting only around 10 units of the new models!!! Completely insufficient to even approach the waiting list.
Sorry for the little off topic
Right now the exposure of nice items of men jewellery (call them knife, watch, flashlight or whatever) through social media is huge therefore demand goes up like crazy. I’ve been on this community in and out since 2007 I believe, and I’ve never seen so many people on the traditional forum as there is nowadays.
Sure there are some speculators but most of it is the increased demand on recent times.
GEC would have to change completely their business model to satisfy the demand of certain models and I don’t think they’re willing to do it, simply because what they’ve been doing since the mid 2000’s work.
Another thing is my personal preference stated before on others threads, I prefer to carry a knife that I can replace instantly, I’m a man of habits and once I find something I like is hard for me to change it, therefore I usually stick to Case

PaulS. PaulS. You’re not an idiot. If you were, then I and many others would also be in the club. An idiot is someone who sees the facts and doesn’t accept them. Look...GECs, especially new ones or hard to get previous models can be challenging to acquire. Like any other hard to get knives from other manufacturers, takes a plan. I go to GEC’s Dealer List and see which ones(most) have pre-order notification and put my name on the list. I read everything related to the knife I want right here on BladeForums. When the knives are released, I scan the sales threads. Many times you can find what you want at reasonable prices. My middle fingers silently and reflexively extends at those offered at greedily priced. I never give up if still unsuccessful. I often find that I will eventually get the knife, or will be relieved that I didn’t get it, and that I wanted it because of my knife addiction.

Figuring all this out is daunting at first, but it gets eventually easier.

I didn't mean it literally. :D I just hate it when I use the information I found in the first few posts of the Pemberton thread and it turns out to be wrong. I have nothing against GEC knives. I've owned a couple and they were equal to any of the best knives I've owned. I'm not a collector, so I don't NEED any particular knife. What I hate is when I do see a GEC pattern I like, it's almost always sold out, even in pre-order. They have to know from experience and dealer feedback which patterns and handle materials will be popular, so I don't understand why they don't make a higher percentage of those when they first plan a production run. I'm on a few email lists, so I do get informed about some of the new releases, but unless I'm glued to my email, I often miss them because they sell out so quickly. I know, I said I would shut up. :oops:

Another thing is my personal preference stated before on others threads, I prefer to carry a knife that I can replace instantly, I’m a man of habits and once I find something I like is hard for me to change it, therefore I usually stick to Case

Yeah, it's nice to walk into a Bass Pro or Academy Sports and for the price of a lunch for two at a chain resturuant, have a new knife in the pocket thats ready to go. Habits are hard to break.

I don't see that it has been mentioned yet D d762nato ...but there is an option to send notifications from any thread when a new post is made. In this case, enabling notifications from the traditional knife sale thread gives you a heads-up. I have come by several great knives here because of it.

I've had pretty good luck picking up the ones I want doing as others have said, watching post and signing up for notifications from dealers. I picked up all 3 Pembertons I wanted that way. (Blue bone, white bone, and stag just today.)(Side note, my brother passed on his blue bone, so if anyone need one I'll post it in the exchange soon ;)

As far as GEC's production numbers, that's just life in a free market. I don't claim to understand the knife industry completely, but I do understand the firearm industry pretty well and I feel the two have similarities. It's not as simple as just meeting demand. There's many reasons a midsize company wouldn't want to increase supply without some very serious consideration. The biggest one in my opinion is that increased supply almost always equals more labor cost and investment in equipment and facilities to provide that supply. If that demand suddenly drops off, which can happen to any product, then you're stuck with debt for the new equipment you don't need anymore and you have to lay off a bunch of workers you just spent time and money training. Many small to mid-size companies have met their demise expanding too quickly. Even companies who pride themselves on quality, in the end have to admit a business is about profit or at least providing for you and your employees. That's not always found in expansion.

Then there's the "I don't want to" possibility. I know there are a few smaller firearms manufacturers who have had great opportunities to expand their production, but since they're privately owned and not run by number crunching corporations, they turned it down. They're happy with the way their product and company are and that's that. Maybe that's GEC, I don't know if they're privately owned or not?

Thas not an opinion that is a FACT and part of what Ts me off and TURNS ME OFF about GEC.
If they had the same consistency in quality manufacturing that SAK has I might glance their way more often.
Or
and that is a big O' giant OR
If they offered seriously tempting blade alloys . . . OK . . . M4.
Then I might look the other way on funny fit and finish and making me sleep all night out in a line on the side walk in front of the store.
I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.
There are threads here if BF that discuss this at length. What's articulated above is certainly not a "fact." It's a combination of misunderstanding and sour grapes, I believe.

Anybody new to Traditionals or GEC in particular, I'd recommend they buy a user from the Exchange, a 15 won't be horrifically dear but it will give you a very good idea of the essence of their knives and whether you like them or not.

Otherwise, patience is a virtue and a must. My Cat has extreme patience when hunting and she get's what she want's, in the end ;):D
+1 :thumbsup: Add some luck! :)

You would think a great knife is something that gets held onto not go up for sale. I guess I don't get it.

One man's trash is another's treasure. Too many times I've gotten a highly-anticipated knife only to find that it just doesn't work for me. All of my knives are users, so what do I do with one I don't like using? I am getting better at knowing ahead of time what I'm likely to enjoy, but I still go off the rails from time to time.

at some point, you may get to a few patterns that you like and only want those. believe me, you will be able to find them with patience. for example, of the few patterns that I typically enjoy from GEC, only one hasn't really been produced in my liking in some time so the hunt is usually on going. and yes, the GBU will likely be where this ends up, but I have over paid before, I have had collectors pass on their examples to me at the original msrp, and I have gotten lucky occasionally on the bay. But it all boils down to staying sharp and keeping an eye on the for sale section sometimes. It'll eventually become available.

Back