What's your Camp Knife ?

Hey Smithhammer, not to get off topic, but what pack is that? Looks nice and light!

That's a Hill People Gear "Tarahumara" pack. Great little day pack. :thumbup:

That's a beauty Smithhammer! What scales are those?

Thanks! They're just good 'ol natural canvas micarta. But I'm surprised at how many people tell me they really like the looks of them! One of the things I like with NCM is how it darkens to a nice warm amber color over time.

i use this, a Himalayan Imports balance Knife, 1 knife does everything except filleting.
2014-07-11154805_zps62f053d4.jpg

I am off to camp 4 days on the Kissimmee River on Thursday. I always take a box of knives to mess with, but these will be the main ones I use.

My list includes these over the span of many years:

1. Mora
2. Fallkniven A2
3. Ontario 18 inch machete
4. SAK
5. Schrade Sharpfinger
6. Busse Basic 9
7. Buck 119

My current hiking knives are: Ilkka Seikku Bush Punisher, Silky boy saw, Fallkniven Kolt and Enzo Borka

Not strictly camping knives as general farm use knives(which are used for camping too).

Gerber A400
My fathers, my brothers(very short time span.. he damaged the chrome coating you can see in the pic trying to sharpen it). Father took it from my brother and gave it to me after the sharpening incident(which still gets brought up at family gatherings 20 years later), then when I moved out of home it was my mothers... who promptly lost it in her veggie garden on our farm... recently found... after 10 years, in better nick then expected overall after 10 years buried in soil.
Now retired.

Mora Companion

Kellam Slasher

Kellam Slasher and Mora get carried together, they perfectly complement each other, Kellam is VERY sharp and not very heavy its on par with smaller Beckers(bk15 etc) yet gives me a nice long blade for butchering and food preperation, along with with the weight forward design makes it a good slasher for pruning light scrub, weeds, and for gardening use like digging out bulbs and separating them cleanly. Also only knife I have that can be jammed repeatedly in the dirt and come out still shaving sharp.
DSCN5915_zps4d276240.jpg

I am off to camp 4 days on the Kissimmee River on Thursday. I always take a box of knives to mess with, but these will be the main ones I use.

How did the Busse do? How did it compare with the Bark River? Been really thinking about a Boss Street CABS.

John Fitch JS, actually a Bowie.

Works fine as a Camp knife.
Monday starts black bear season and if rifle fails...:)

medium800.jpg

DC…:D :thumbup:

Back