What's your Camp Knife ?

I'd say a knife you'd take camping. ;)

In that case I'll say the Laconico pictured below. It stays at the campsite.

The puukko goes on most, if not all, outdoor excursions. Primarily dayhikes. The stag slipjoint is my EDC, the SAK a backup that stays in the pack. The Laconico, and I guess the khukuri, are the ones that come out when camping.

Just about every knife I own has probably gone camping with me at one time or another, but in sticking with the more traditional interpretation of what a "camp knife" at least used to be - a single large knife that could perform all the usual traditional camp tasks such as food prep, shelter building, game skinning/dressing tasks, etc, I'd say this Lon Humphrey 'Brute de Forge" would qualify. At 9.75" overall, it's probably on the smaller side of a traditional camp knife, but completely capable of just about anything needing to be done in camp.

zcsjb.jpg

Here is mine. Designed by myself with the idea of a full tang leuku in mind. Blade was made by a german knifemaker, OAL is almost 13". I shaped and attached the handles, they won't win a beauty contest but do fit my hands very well.

_R001961.JPG

I have carried many knives over the years from low end factory blades to high dollar customs. Nowadays its just an old Cold Steel Carbon V Hudson Bay and a 2Hawks Long Hunter Hawk, and as always, an SAK in my pocket.
twohawks_hudsonbay2.jpg

Sorry no pics. But 1 of my hawks and for knives it's tough I love my Barnes 8 only 4 ever made along with brkt gunny or lil caper or custom micro tusk. My other choices are busse TGLB, sykco 411 and urban regulator or omnivore knives americana and 1 or more of my folders it's always a hard choice..oh and can't forget my swamprat rucki....lol

It has seen some woods time since this pic, but it (Busse BOSS Jack) is my camp, and most everything else knife. It resides hanging just over my headboard the rest of the time.

New camp knife on the way. Looking forward to giving this one a workout:

E9t3fu.jpg

I've got a few that always seem to make it out no matter what. I agree, a "camp knife" can be big or small but I understand that its a term synonymous with big knives. I find that a 4-6" blade suits me best. I was big on the ESEE knives for a long time and couldn't be without my ESEE 4 or 6 and my Junglas was, and still is, one of my favorite blades of all time.

Now my 3 camp knives are as follows:

Paul Beebe custom bushcraft knife, 5.25" S35VN drop point blade with desert ironwood burl scales

SURVIVE! GSO 5

And my big knife/chopper (besides my axe) is the ESEE Junglas with TKC scales.

I have a few that I could use I guess but my Junglas is perfect for wood processing and chopping and I dont feel bad about beating on it a bit. The Beebe custom and the GSO are more of a "belt knife" but at 5" each they are in my sweet spot where I can do just about anything I need with them, especially if I have an axe with me. The Junglas comes on my pack no matter what, the other ones rotate. When I can figure out how to post pics from my phone and tapatalk I'll do so :)

To me a camp knife is one that I use in camp to do chores and to help prepare food for cooking.
This hunting season I am using my Morakniv Bushcraft Orange in stainless steel because it is easy to find when sitting on a table with a bunch of other items. I hunt and camp in the rain so I like the stainless steel blade for it's low maintenance qualities.
I have other knives that I keep in my hunting pack for field dressing wild hogs, wild turkeys, and whitetail deer.

I'm seeing a lot of knives that don't look like they get out of the sheath much.

Here are my camp knives.

Camp%20knives.jpg

The Schrade 498 is my car camping knife because I've had it forever, it's tough as heck and I like the feel of it for for chores and bushcraft. The thumb grip is the best.

For backpacking I take the Mora because it weighs only 132g with the sheath. It's tough enough, holds an edge and will even accept light batoning. The Mora just did 30 miles in the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness.

Hey Smithhammer, not to get off topic, but what pack is that? Looks nice and light!

Back