What's Your Favorite Book?

Wolf and Iron by Gordon R. Dickson. is one of my all time favorites. I think i have read it cover to cover at least 20 times since my freshman year of highschool.

The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury.

This one is a bit different, it's not one singular story, but an overarching plot told through many short stories. The stories were published in a pulp magazine, and then later collected in anthology form. The story is that humans go to mars, and begin to make the same mistakes we did on earth. This ultimately results in one of my favorite scenes from anything, which occurs in the final story. Anybody that's read the book will probably know the scene.

After seeing Blood Meridian so highly recommended, I tracked down a copy at the local library. I enjoyed both No Country for Old Men and The Road; so I thought Blood should be okay... Alas, the dialogue reminded me of the time I tried Faulkner, The Sound and The Fury. Nope, Blood was ehhhhh... I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as my Favorite book, gotta go with Armor by John Steakley. His book Vampires was excellent as well. The Wheel of Time series is, IMO, one of the best. The Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood is based on 'em) are great reads too.

World War Z had me paranoid and thinking about stockpiling food and ammo, but didn't bother me the 2nd time around. The 1st book in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series (with that name); I remember as being enjoyable. After seeing the American release of the movie I got books 2 & 3 from the library. The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest were extremely good. Continuing with Swedish authors, Let The Right One In was great, too.

And, one last shout out for a book :) http://www.amazon.com/Red-God-Rising-Donald-Brundage/dp/1588517063 Since I wrote it, I think it's kinda good.

I'm a quarter of the way through Blood Meridian. While I liked The Road, I didn't think it was groundbreaking. Blood Meridian, so far however, has blown me away. I feel like I'm reading an epic piece of literature that at the same time fulfills my desire for Westerns and Survival stories.

The American movie adaptation of Let the Right One In (Let Me In) was amazing, so I'll be adding that to the queue.

My favorite book, and the one that has left the most impact on me was Into the Wild by Krakauer. The McCandless story haunted me for a long time, but the author did an amazing job of tempering that part of the book with his own sojourns into the wilderness.

The Book of Five Rings written by the swordsman Miyamoto Musashi

Ed beat me to it. It's as if Musashi distilled and transcended tactics into something much deeper and closer to one's soul.

Of course, on the philosophical/spiritual side, Hagakure is right-up there. "Beautiful" in the fullest sense of the word.

All on top of my head -

Fiction:

- The Harry Potter series (not yet technically a classic, but soon will be)
- Eaters of the Dead by the late, great Michael Crichton
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Classics:

- LOTR by Tolkien
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Anything by Ernest Hemingway

Management/Business/Organizational:

- Our Iceberg is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions by John Kotter; simple, easy-t0-read fable about penguins and phenomenon of change management and behavior.

Devereux Bowly, Jr. The Poorhouse: Subsidized Housing in Chicago, Southern Illinois University Press, 2nd Edition (22 August 2012).

http://www.amazon.com/Poorhouse-Subsidized-Housing-Chicago/dp/0809330520/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351713944&sr=1-1

The first edition was published in 1978 as The Poorhouse: Subsidized Housing in Chicago, 1895–1976. It was overdue for an update.

If you want to learn about public housing in the United States, this is the book to start with. It is well researched, well written and well illustrated: 288 pages, 172 historic photographs. You can get through it a few days, but you will think about it much longer. I worked at IDPA's Cabrini Homes Field Office and it has my personal endorsement.

The young bicyclist in the cover photograph is observing Chicago's business center from a walkway in Loomis Courts, at Loomis Boulevard and 14th Place.

212-5744-Product_LargeToMediumImage.jpeg

I've read a lot of the books already mentioned, but now have a new list of books that I shall read.

One of my all-time favorites (other than ones already mentioned) is:

The Stand by Stephen King. Unabridged/re-released version.

A fight to the end between Good and Evil.

King re-released it and put back in a lot of details that had been edited out. The unabridged/re-released version just makes the original release all that much better.

TJ

very cool, going to have to find that version.

I recently finished Michael Crichton's "Micro". It was somewhat disappointing as it was finished and published after his death, the manuscript found on his computer and coauthored by Richard Preston. Perhaps I was expecting more from the novel given Crichton's better written works. It was interesting and had some exciting moments, but really lacked in some aspects.

The latest Clancy book, "Dead Or Alive" was better, IMHO. As always, Clancy shows a lot of insight into how politics and military intertwine.

The Lure of the Labrador by Dillon Wallace and The call of the Wild by Jack London . Great classics!

Hard to list a single favorite. Aside from the Bible, probably Michael Grissom's Southern by the Grace of God
Just about anything written by Bernard Cornwell. The Saxon Stories, The Grail Quest and the Richard Sharpe series kept me going for two years. (21 books)
My dad collects Cornwell's Sharpe series, so I don't buy them, but I have all the Starbuck Chronicles, Grail Quest series, Warlord Chronicles, and some of his other individual books. Haven't read any of the "Sailing Thrillers" yet, though.

Dean Koontz is my other favorite author. Watchers got me hooked, and Strangers is just as good. I've got a few copies, including first editions that I searched out, of each, and have bought everything Koontz has put out in hardback for the last 21 years(edit: oops, think the last one or two are only on my Kindle), along with most of his older books.

Other favorites:
Robert Ludlum's original Bourne trilogy
Brian Haig's Sean Drummond books
Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone series
Tom Clancy's John Kelly aka John Clark books

I like Wildtrek by some dude named Jim kelgaardjim (I can't pronounce it either)
. It's about a man and his dog. It's a kids book. If I had to pick an adult book it would be 'Liberty and Tyranny' or 'Atlas Shrugged'. These are my favorites.:/ I'm also fond of the Curious George series. :)

Last edited:
Back