What's your newest Buck knife

I hope it is okay to post a non-Buck knife in the What's your newest Buck knife thread. I received this RedHead Pro Series Skinner (aka Buck 922) last night. It was a user, but cleaned up pretty well. The mirror polished blade is a little tricky to clean and the etched lettering on the blade is faint already so you have to be careful with the buffing. The reflections on the blade make the blade look scratched in the photo. The stag handle has yellowed some, but I am hesitant to put peroxide or bleach on it since I am not sure how it will react with the brass pins. The knife is going to be a user so the yellowing adds character. If my research is correct, Bass Pro first sold the Buck made RedHead skinner knives in 2008 with a G10 handle model with 420HC steel, a walnut handle model with 420HC steel, and a Pro Series model with a stag handle and 154CM steel. At some point around 2011, Buck switched the Pro Series model to Sandvik 12C27M steel. I believe the line was discontinued around 2020. I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm the approximate 2011 steel switch and the discontinued date. Is there a way to accurately date this knife? I have seen a photo of the 2008 knife with a blade stamp, but have not seen blade stamps after that.
53401576466_ab82a55d78_o.jpg

Happy New Knife Day! I’ve wanted a set of Buck kitchen knives in a block on the counter for years, but can’t do it. My wife has a set of Pioneer Woman knives in a block on the counter and they can NEVER be replaced because they are teal. My solution for a couple of years has been two Chinese Buck filet knives (Mr. Crappie 232 and 233) in their sheaths thrown in the sharps drawer with everything else - rattling around with potato peelers, pizza cutters, cheese cutters, etc. Those two have been my go-to kitchen knives for a while now. This morning I finally organized the sharps drawer with an 11 knife wooden drawer organizer from Amazon. It’s less than half the width of the drawer so plenty of room for potato peelers, et. all, but I bought myself a Buck Chef’s knife, Slicer, and this Large Pairing knife. They now reside in the organizer with the rest of the “good” knives protected from the mayhem on the other side of the drawer. The real test will be over the course of the next year to see if my wife keeps reaching for her pretty teal knives on the counter, or if she starts seeing the value of a Buck kitchen knife. Time will tell, but for now, I have my new three favorite kitchen knives!

33F88B0C-4FAC-48E9-B43D-7F0BFDAF84CB.jpeg

A couple of interesting knives arrived today. A model 892 GCK 5160 (middle) and 893 GCK 5160 Tanto (top). The 891 GCK 5160 (bottom) I already had and used as comparison. Never heard of a 892 until now and the blade looks very similar to the 891, but has different contours/fuller in the blade. The 893, which is supposed to be Tanto, has a curved edge unlike any Tanto 893 I have seen before. Personally I am not a fan of a traditional tanto blade edge. Since this one is rounded, it's a keeper. Both were considered limited build out knives.

20231220_110329_70.jpg
20231220_110845_70.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of interesting knives arrived today. A model 892 GCK 5160 (middle) and 893 GCK 5160 Tanto (top). The 891 GCK 5160 (bottom) I already had and used as comparison. Never heard of a 892 until now and the blade looks very similar to the 891, but has different contours/fuller in the blade. The 893, which is supposed to be Tanto, has a curved edge unlike any Tanto 893 I have seen before. Personally I am not a fan of a traditional tanto blade edge. Since this one is rounded, it's a keeper. Both were considered limited build out knives.

View attachment 2429892
View attachment 2429893
that's a great group, there. love 'em.

Not technically mine, but the 2023-made Buck 110 I ordered for the new grand niece arrived today.

So she now has a Buck 110 made the same year she arrived on the scene as well as an engraved Victorinox FarmerX. Her almost three year old brother has an engraved Farmer and a 2021 Buck 110 waiting for him as well.

Back