Where is the Hatchet/Axe ?

Ok....here's what I've got so far...

The design is for a "Pocket Axe".....something easily portable...not a big beater (that will come later...:D)

Axe4.gif

This drawing shows the approximate handle shape, a hollowed out tang (dashed) and my "finger cross section" drawing...showing hand placement.

Overall length is 9.5" and the axe head is 5" from top to bottom.

It is roughly the size of a medium-sized day planner. Sounds small...but it won't be. It'll be made of 3/8" thick steel (undecided which....probably 3V or S7....super-tough shock steels).

Have no idea what pricing would be....will figure that out later. Won't be cheap...but not pricey either. :thumbup:

Dan

Okay now that's really cool. Is there a list surfacing soon? Are there any plans to make a spiked tomahawk?

no list yet....will definitely post here when I get it ready to go...mostly likely to be the nice run, though. :thumbup:

Dan,
How about another run for a bushcraft axe and maybe a few matched sets with your knife.

Lester

Lester - a matched set would be pretty cool indeed! :thumbup:

My biggest grievance with traditional bits is fitting the handle in a way that makes it reliable. I too would prefer a traditional handle & bit. The full tang gives the hatchet better reliability...something I really wanted in this lil' guy. You probably won't be able to swing it hard enough to get handle-chatter/vibration...I'm thinking of it as a game-axe as well as a light splitter....light camp chores....kitchen cleaver too. Not really a hard splitter...probably could be used with no worries to fell....but that would be secondary.

Looking good Dan !

Have you thought about putting a finger hole in the head so it would make finer tasks easier ?

Pitdog, great idea!!

I have a couple of pocket "hatchets" made by John Greco. His are a bit smaller and are awesome tools and work well as ulu's.

Great design Dan!!

great suggestion, guys....I love a good Ulu. :D :thumbup:

It is certainly a possibility, yes. Depends on interest. :thumbup:

I would need to make at least 50 to make it worth it.

Dan

Dan, You'd get an order for at least 2 from me. These are handy little tools.

For anyone interested, this is a link to John Greco's "HatchIt" http://www.grecoknives.com/tactical_hatchit.htm
I don't think he has any of these left and probably won't make any more.

They are amazing little tools you can do light chopping with. I made it through a 3 inch limb, I'm sure it would have been faster with my wilderness forum knife from Nick, but trying it out was half the fun :D. So I don't use it for chopping much, but it's great for other duties and really handy for butchering deer.

thanks random , all info helps , the greco looks sweet too, all options and different makers and prices mean win -win for buyers :thumbup::D

i emailed for info so will wait and see if he makes anymore.

hangemans joke,

Your welcome!! I love those hatch Its! I'm thinking Dan's design might have more chopping potential and be lighter weight. With the handle hollowed more weight would flow to the head when chopping and it'd be "faster" for other tasks.

John's a great guy. If you call him, be prepared to talk for a while.

Dan,

Depending on pricing, I would be interested in one of these if you were to run some.

Back