Where to purchase interesting Case knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you Case aficionados, where does one find Case knives with interesting and pretty scales and such?
I decided I wanted a medium jack to add to my pocket, but the only thing that shows up on the Case website is one with black scales or a blue "Ford" one. Just what is Case's fascination with Ford, anyway? That's about the tackiest thing in the world to do to a knife.

Where are the pretty or interesting ones to be found?

Same thing with the single clip blade mini trapper, you can only find it in Ford or Harley covers... C'mon Case!!! :mad:

Just a heads up.
If you can't find something you like from one of the dealers on our list, Paid Dealer Members List ( Updated 10/13/2019 ), any others can't be mentioned here. It's in the guidelines.
We'll keep an eye on this thread. If it goes awry, it disappears. Thanks.

Case is always changing up covers on their main set of patterns. Though there are some that are either discontinued or are not in their mainstream lineup and don't have many variations.

The 087 Medium Jack is one of those that is still around but doesn't seem to get much attention. They do make it in a pen, jack, and stockman variant on that same frame. However, it was made in other handle materials in the past, so you would probably have to look for older, pre-owned knives either at dealers who carry vintage knives, or one of the online auction sites.

I also dislike the "brand affinity" knives, but they must sell well because Case certainly makes plenty of them.

I have one 62087 Medium Jack in some nice bone covers, shown on the right in this group photo of several of my Case jacks:

3Hwg4QO.jpg

and one in the Pen variant as well, also in bone, shown in yet another group photo, lower left:

rnHF3xH.jpg

Last edited:
I think the early '70's models are worth the extra money for a mint specimen as far as F&F and overall quality. I prefer the models made before 1976 when Case opened their new digs.

There are several well known vintage Case dealers on the 'bay that sell vintage stuff.

I agree with Gunstock Jack. Some of the New Case knives are interesting, but it's hard to beat Case XXs and ten-dots!

Does Case make a two blade Jack with a spear main anymore?

I’m talking something similar to a GEC 15, I’ve seen vintage ones but the current Barlows are the closest I could get.

Joe

Of the dealers on the BladeForums supporting list, I have had good experiences with KnifeCenter. They have a good selection and good customer service.
If you want to examine the knives first, there are probably Case displays near you at a hardware store or farm and ranch store. Sometimes gun shops and pawn shops. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sadly the Case Medium Jack is not a popular model. As you noticed the only ones you can commonly find through dealers are the Black Delrin with As-finished blades, or the Ford logo, Blue Bone version. A few years back there were a couple other variations, but they fell by the wayside. Case seems to focus more on the Peanut (smaller), and the Case Texas Jack (bigger). Only other options will require you to keep your eyes open on the secondary markets.

My renewed interest in traditional slipjoints is due in part to trading for the above mentioned Black Delrin version. Though I much prefer jigged bone & carbon steel, that knife has become one of my favorites. Hopefully one day Case will make a carbon steel version with jigged bone.
CaseMedJack.jpg

Rakkasans! ^^^ Those guys conducted our field training when I was a cadet at West Point back in the late 80's. Top notch.
The instructors used to crack me up with that "hambone" slapping thing they did when they were first introduced. Reminded me of something you'd see in a black juke-joint on a Saturday night.

In my opinion Case has been using a lot of junk for handle material lately. Based on what I'm seeing as of very recently, it would appear that perhaps that is beginning to change. We'll see...

I can't remember if I still have it or not but Case did make a 62087 in red bone.

Mine is/was a 1965-1969 model with carbon steel blades. Really nice bone. I'll try to remember to see if I still have it when I get back home today. If I do, I'll post a pic.

I see a few for sale "out there" but they aren't cheap.

Some of us like the Case specialty knives such as this Single Blade Sowbelly with U.S. Navy embellishments.

bEMB2bG.jpg

UEAjfWX.jpg

And of course we like older Case knives.

uMNmEaE.jpg

But I try not to knock Case knives regardless of pattern, embellishments, etc. because we're darn lucky to have Case knives still being made.

Besides, they're a thing of beauty.

xhP7fqE.jpg

p5agYlf.jpg

Showoff! :p

What pattern is that last group?
I believe those are all sowbelly knives. I've got one by case, and one by RoughRider. I'm still on the fence about one I'm watching on the bay... I might have to go ahead and take the plunge... one Case sowbelly just isn't enough.

The title of this thread "Where to Purchase Interesting Case Knives" prompts me to post this interesting Case Knife - a Case Cheetah 11 1/2 L with blade embellishment.

YnHXbQY.jpg

Case%20CV%20Cheetah%20Yellow%20Delrin%201%20.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back