Buck Which Buck knife do you recommend?

Okay, let's start out with a couple of qualifiers...

Recommend for doing what, exactly?

In what price range?

Fixed or folder?

Buck makes a wide range. Big or small, traditional or modern?
Buck has tiny folders to pretty big bowie, Chinese and US made.
Their website has custom set up. You pick handle material, blade steel and shape.
You have set some parameters or browser thier site for what grabs you.

The 110 in the late 70s is where I started, big heavy solid folder - real mascasser ebony, brass and steel, loved it. Still have it. Have a couple of small folders. No fixed blades, did not like the phenolic handles. Bought basic modern folder of theirs for kiddo, ok and not expensive. Now I am “steel sensitive” so only thier high end is interesting to me but have not acquired one.

Take your pick, they have a knife for everything and they know their shit so pick one and it'll be good to you if you treat it right. Not to mention Buck will treat you right if you're unsatisfied.

If your an American who's interested in Buck or just knives in general you MUST own the 110 and the 119, they dont get more American and iconic than these two.

If you want something small and lightweight potentially to put on your keys, then look no further than the 425 miniBuck or 283 nano bantam.

Then there's the 482 bucklite max there which is currently unavailable because they're redesigning it for 2018.
It's an awesome lightweight one handed EDC that's not too big or too small for a modern folder.

Need an EDC folder, Buck's got you covered from their 300 series slipjoints all the way up to the 110 or modern folders such as the marksman among many others.

Need a hunting fixed blade they've got you covered, from their hartshook neck knife sized bird and trout all the way up to the 120 general and everything in between.

Need a fillet knife Buck's got you covered folding and fixed.

Need a modern fixed blade , Buck's got you covered from the Mesa up to the hoodlum.

Need a bushcrafters type knife, again Buck's got you covered.

If you want a multitool check eBay because Buck made them, need a Swiss army type knife we'll check eBay again because they contracted with Victorinox to introduce the Swiss Buck.
They've got everything anyone could ever need in a knife if you don't also love carbon steel and patina.

I recommend any Buck knife that catches your interest

Mo2. Had not seen that site - good steels and upgraded materials.... good to know.

Reactions: Mo2
Buck make a fine blade. For traditionals—where my main interest lies—you can’t go wrong with the 110 or it’s smaller sibling, the 112. But these are both thick, heavy folders that I honestly find cumbersome for EDC. I’m seriously considering the Impact auto. Looks fantastic.

F318_F748-305_B-495_E-_BA64-818_A95_A66_F31.jpg
IMO, if you don’t own any Buck knives then these 2 are the first ones you should get.

Hard to go wrong with any Buck, and they stand behind their knives with some of the best customer service you'll find. Their Custom Shop blades are outstanding! I cherish my 112 in S30V, oak panels...

The 110 is a great pocket knife. I have never seen a new one - or any new Buck, for that matter, that wasn't delivered razor sharp. The 119 is a great traditional hunter fixed blade. I no longer hunt... so my 119 and it's big brother 120 reside sheathed in a kitchen drawer for butcher knife duty. Made in the USA, they are all the same quality, whether blister packed for discount store sales or boxed for gun/sporting goods dealers. The sheaths were made in Mexico (leather) or the PRC (nylon), however - quite serviceable.

The first question about what you plan to use it for is pretty important.

I also agree on the 110 and the 119 recommendations. Absolute classics.

That said, my Vantage Pro sees more pocket time as it's not as heavy as a 110.

Buck 110 for heavy duty work; the Buck Glacier for light general pocket carry (remove the pocket clip). The Glacier is Chinese made but still good old Buck 420 HC steel and Buck quality. For a multiblade, any of the Buck stockman that suits your size fancy. I would be careful of some of the Chinese folders made with 420JS steel which IMO is too soft. The Chinese made with 420HC are just fine.
Rich

Last edited:
Whichever one you choose, Buck’s lifetime warranty is a big plus. I can’t say enough good things about their customer service.

Last edited:
I had a Buck 110 for years, used it to dress a number of deer. Loved the knife, was probably 10 years old when I forgot and left it on the tailgate of my truck. When it hit the pavement the scales on one side broke. I sent it to Buck for repair and they said the scales were long outdated and couldn't replace. They sent me a new knife as a replacement. Buck stands behind their products. The 110 is a somewhat heavy but is also a heavy use knife. They come very sharp in the box. I'd go for the 110.

301.. 3 sharp edges in 1 vessel!!! ;) And pocket friendly too!! :thumbsup: John :D

Back