Which bugout would you choose and why?

I, for one, would like to hear more about this. I hope you'll start a thread about the steels that you've tried and how they have worked out.
My opinion is not as important as your facts. Everybody has different needs and uses for their blades.
But thanks!

Now if I can just find someone who has some factory Black G-10 custom shop scales they would swap for a new set of 535-4 aluminum scales and red hardware I would be set. :)

TXPO

I have a BM Bailout with M4. The knife keeps an edge great but I do have a problem with corrosion spots and I'm not around a lot of moisture.
Great knife though.

I never liked the plastic feel of the original Bugout series, so I bought one of the 537-GY1 Bailouts in M4. I love the aluminum handles. However, it's a Tanto blade and I prefer the drop, clip, and spear point blades. So I was happy when they announced the 535BK-4 with aluminum handles, M390, and a drop point blade. And then waited and waited til it was actually available. Then balked at the asking price :D. It recently came on sale at Blade HQ for a LOT less and I snatched one. Showed up on the porch this morning. Just got done smoothing the washers up a bit with 3000 grit diamond tape and reassembling it.

Benchmade has had some QC issues that I've personally experienced, so I was glad to find this one had none. Blade centering and beveling is spot-on, and no other types of issues that I can see.

However, I guess I would also be interested in a Bugout with G10 scales and metal liners. I recently aso got a Griptilian with the gray G-10 scales and CPM S20V, and it is much nicer feeling than my original Grippies with the plastic crap.

Last edited:
How about some pictures?
How much s.oothing gig the washers need?

Posted pics in edit of original post. The washers were pretty good already, but it's standard procedure for me now to take them out, polish, and reassemble the pivot with some low strength threadlocker and get the tension just the way I like it.

Cool... I always just sort of broke them in with an excess amount of initial fidgeting.

Back