Which days do you always take off work?

Wifey and I were discussing having a big Thanksgiving dinner here shortly as Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up.

We were contemplating making it somewhat of a family tradition as we don’t really have anything in our families that is an annual event.

For us we always take Christmas and New Year’s Day off as those are forced days off but usually do little or nothing and just treat them as a paid day off for relaxation.

I like the message of Thanksgiving and would argue it’s not necessarily linked to any culture or religion so it’s somewhat universal. Seems like a good time to have a family dinner. But I’m open to other options.

The only other day I always take off is Labour Day. Just cause I’m blue collar like that.

So I always have Christmas, New Year’s, Labour Day and now possibly Thanksgiving.

What about you?

These days I have no trouble getting Holidays off, but back when I was hourly rather than salaried, no holidays were guaranteed. I worked security for a long time. Even when I started getting promoted I would need to schedule someone else if I wanted the holiday. I would always try for Christmas.

These days, since I am working at a university, I get all the big holidays off. It is pretty nice.

University for me as well for quite awhile now. I could certainly make more money elsewhere, but six weeks paid vacation a year has always been a one of the incentives to stay.

being self employed offers up two truths for our life;
1. there is no such thing as a day off
2. because I love what I do, it's hard to call it 'work'

No holidays here. I work them all. I'm on graveyard so at least I can make a brief appearance at most of them though. No two days are the same. I don't get bored.

I'd answer this Q with some serious input if the title was, "Which Days Do You Always Take Off Not Working?".

for me, always Christmas and sometimes Xmas eve and New Years eve. New Years day is a given b/c my company is closed anyway. We alternate Thanksgivings and this year I am off =)

All major holidays, Cinco de Mayo (because no one comes to work on that day anyways), whenever there is a lull in routine construction (perhaps one day per month), when the kids have days off from school exclusive from holidays proper (parent-teacher conferences, teacher training days, et al).

being self employed offers up two truths for our life;
1. there is no such thing as a day off
2. because I love what I do, it's hard to call it 'work'

I did it both ways... finally was running my own shop...What a great way to go!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

Ooh you're a holiday, every day , such a holiday...........

365 of 'em..

^^^ I’ll be there one day. Need to rake in additional funds to complete two additional homes for the kids first. Still looking for property. San Marino and Arcadia are my preferred locations. What they do with the homes in the future will be up to them.

^^^ I’ll be there one day. Need to rake in additional funds to complete two additional homes for the kids first. Still looking for property. San Marino and Arcadia are my preferred locations. What they do with the homes in the future will be up to them.
That's really quite admirable, but if I may, as the second child of 5, 20 years old, and my parents are pretty well off, I don't want and will not accept anything from them.

I don't want to inherit a dead persons things for multiple reasons, but mainly because it would make me weak. Kids are more than capable of working it out themselves. Live YOUR life and have fun.

My $0.02

Edit: it's too early for me to grammar and stuff. I think i cleaned up the typos.

That's really quite admirable, but if I may, as the second child of 5, 20 years old, and my parents are pretty well off, I don't want and will not accept anything from them.

I don't want to inherit a dead persons things for multiple reasons, but mainly because it would make me weak. Kids are more than capable of working it out themselves. Live YOUR life and have fun.

My $0.02

Edit: it's too early for me to grammar and stuff. I think i cleaned up the typos.

No worries as I'll volunteer myself up for adoption. I may be older than both your Dad and your Mom, but I'm very well mannered and definitely potty trained :)

Live YOUR life and have fun.
Understood. Just that it falls completely within my line of work. And it will be fun with the family involved in design and implementation. I see it as akin to Nathan & Jo crafting knives for their children. A family process.

Understood. Just that it falls completely within my line of work. And it will be fun with the family involved in design and implementation. I see it as akin to Nathan & Jo crafting knives for their children. A family process.
Absolutely. I didn't mean to tell you what to do or whatever, just my opinion. A good father will always do the right thing by his kids. You do you :thumbsup:

Hey, can I have a house too? I’ll trade Canadian citizenship!

Seems the majority of us are pretty hard working folk.

You can have any house you want, but free and clear of any and all encumbrances would be another matter ;)

I'm off the last week of April and the first week of November, every year. That's spring turkey and whitetail rut, give or take. I've made it abundantly clear to my employers, whether I'm scheduled or not, I'll be in the woods. And also I take off a week in the summer with the family to head to Tennessee to see the rest of the family. Life is too short. If they don't like it then I'll start looking for new employment.

Back