Which do you favor, modern or traditional folders, or both?

Do you favor modern or traditional folders, or both?

• Modern

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • Traditional

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • Both

Votes: 87 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both.
Axo2TKL.jpg

I like both and carry a traditional sometimes. The traditional was all I knew growing up. I like that folders have elvoved into the modern folder of today. The traditional reminds me where I came from.

I'm a fan of both, each has it's place, they actually if paired up right create an awesome cutting system where each blade compliments the others. How about a traditional pattern done in modern materials?

JD Ellis Lanny's Clip, blue G-10 frame, red linen micarta liners, maroon canvas micarta bolsters with natural canvas micarta covers.

o1qYYNO.jpg

One handed opening is very convenient. And the pocket clip is an essential part of my iwb edc method.
So all I carry now is modern folders.

I like them both. I must say though that I have way more modern folders than traditional. I generally go through phases on what I carry. Right now I have forsaken the moderns for a Case Stockman and I have a Texas Cattle Knife on the way.

Modern only. I use my knives at work and can sometimes be hard on them. When trying out traditionals to see if they were for me, I got bitten by one while using it. Pocket clip, one handed open and close, decent steel and lock are essential. In situations where I am on a 12' ladder and need to cut zip ties, I can't risk dealing with a two handed tiny gentlemans knife. A modern, sub 3" folder is as small as I'll go.

I like both.. although, I don't care for GECs or new Case knives.. I only like old 'traditionals' (some old timers are ok)

JwgORwz.jpg
That is a really sweet knife. I like that blade grind a lot! :thumbsup:

I respect traditionals. But old school is just that ...old.

I'm all about modern knives. New designs , different lock mechs , wide choice of blade steels. Awesome stuff. Can't stop progress.

I have a few gec knives I really like. The main issue is, I can't justify carrying it over a swiss army knife like the farmer. Same size roughly but WAY more utility in the farmer. So I carry the farmer and a modern folder.

Still love my tc barlow and beerscout though!

Last edited:
I like both ... they each have their own pros and cons ... most days I carry both.

The short answer: I like both, I carry both, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, they both will cut, and a combination of the two makes for a superb duo.

The longer answer:

I've found that my carry needs and interests over the years have largely been dependent on what my day to day job has been. When I worked in cable, I used and carried a large modern folder, an old school Cold Steel Recon with the Axis style lock. I used that knife relentlessly and hard. It stripped mainline coax, it dug around pedestals, it smashed wasp nests, it turned screws when I forgot to bring a flathead up with me on the ladder or cherry picker. It was tough and I put it through hell, not something I would expect a more traditional folder to really hold up to.

When I worked for my local Sheriff's Office as a reserve deputy, I carried that same Cold Steel until I upgraded to a ZT. In law enforcement, knives can get beat up and I wanted one that would hold up to rigorous use. Again, not something I would expect a traditional folder to hold up to.

Anytime I am doing hard work, I want a modern folder with tough steel, a dependable lock, and solid construction.

Nowadays, I sit/stand at a desk writing code. It is safe to say that my cutting needs are few and far between, despite creating tasks for such (package/letter cutting, food prep, general fidgeting). I have found that my interests have largely evolved into using and collecting more traditional folders. They are easy on the pocket, look pretty on my desk, and meet my rather menial cutting tasks on a fairly regular basis. That being said, anytime I know I am going to be be working on my trucks, helping a buddy with a remodel, or engaging in some other laborious endeavor, a modern folder is always with me.

Since I spend a lot of time out of doors in my free time, I usually have one or more of the following: fixed blade, modern folder, multitool, slipjoint. I am a firm believer in having the right tool for the job so I generally have more than one might think I need but since I have the means and ability to carry such things, why the hell not? Redundancy can be beneficial.

Picture because all threads are better with pics....

9pry8c9.jpg

Two thirds of the knives I purchased last year were slip joints. Unfortunately, most have never cut anything yet. I really like them. I often carry a SAK in my pocket along with a modern folder. The modern folder varies. Lately I have been carrying the LionSteel Small Opera in stag which is almost a slipjoint and the Mini Cutjack (and leave the SAK in the truck). I also enjoy carrying a Benchmade small Barrage (AO). Generally speaking I don't care for metal handled knives and many modern knives are metal. Has to be both sides are non-metal to entice me to buy for the most part. No inserts....

Both for sure !
These were in my pockets ALL DAY. I used the Teardrop but it was borderline because the littlest blade in the Mini Champ (blue SAK there) would probably done the job better but I just wanted to use the brand new Case Teardrop.

In addition while at work I had a couple of medium size SAKs in a belt pouch (used the pliers to pull cactus spines out of some equipment). Also while at work I had my Grail (flipper) on my belt in it's pouch just because I wanted to; yes I used it.
. . . lets see . . . and then I dumped the belt pouches for the bike ride home but put the neck knife on for the commute . . . fixed blade so almost a traditional but it is a Cold Steel with serrated blade so maybe not so much.

And I have a Boker large Stockman on order that I plan to EDC the hell out of.

IMG_4894.jpg

Last edited:
Modern only for me. The only traditional I own was my grandfather's. I can remember using it as a kid. It's a no name nothing of a knife, but has a lot of sentimental value. It's been put away for years now though.

There's a few traditionals I've seen pics of that I think look great, but I would never buy one. I have huge hands and they're just too small for me.

Back