Which is the real Swiss army knife?

Which one is real?

• Total voters

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Which is the genuine Swiss Army Knife?

Is Victorinox the victim of the high-end clones made by the sinister Wenger company?

Or is blameless Wenger losing business due to the dastardly flood of Victorinox copies on the market?

Is one of them better than the other?

Legend has it the SAK design was actually stolen from (insert nationality of whoever is telling the story)

My post was apparently "clear as mud". :( I completely missed the intention of this thread. o_O

Last edited:
I had to vote Wenger, since they have the spirit that represents what SAK means the most accurately.

Wenger would produce knives that were purpose built and the job dictated the combination of tools on the frame.

Victorinox has knives built with a preset formula, certain models need a corkscrew, certain models need a cap lifter and a can opener, but can't have a combo tool since that isn't what the model "calls for"... Their inability to flex from the idea that a pattern "needs" a corkscrew because it is an "officers tool" is ridiculous.
It is a tool built for the masses, not strictly for "officers". If that is the case, why not have a tool designed for pinning military pins as a standard item...

The Wenger mindset was what resonates with me, in regards to a sheerly utilitarian tool. The one knife that I want, my True Grail, is a Wenger Professional 4 layer. I have been looking for years, and I have only Seen 2 or 3 of them online, and none in person.
640x480_Wenger-Prof_IMG_4132 (2).JPG
Victorinox makes something close, but either has a can opener and no pruner, or a saw, a can opener, and a corkscrew but no sacking needle.

Per Wiki,
"In 1908 the Swiss government, wanting to prevent an issue over regional favouritism, but perhaps wanting a bit of competition in hopes of lowering prices, split the contract with Victorinox and Wenger, each getting half of the orders placed. By mutual agreement, Wenger has advertised as the Genuine Swiss Army Knife and Victorinox used the slogan, the Original Swiss Army Knife."

I've always had vics for no particular reason. Same with my father and grandfather.

For the past several years, Wenger has been under the ownership of Victorinox; the acquisition protected the livelihoods of Wenger's employees. They are both real, but Victorinox started making the original SAK before Wenger.

My preference has always been for Vic.

Jim

Any knife issued to the Swiss army.
If it isn't Swiss army surplus or the same model then it's not a Swiss army knife or SAK, it's a multi function knife or MFK.
I don't own any SAK's I own Victorinox MFK 's.
Btw I buy Victorinox because my grandfather carried a Vic classic everyday and because I don't shop online and Victorinox knives are most available.
I'd have no problem picking up a used Wenger from a yard sale...ect, but I am pretty much a Victorinox guy.

Btw Victorinox recently got the contract to start producing a folder for the US ARMY which I believe is basically a soldier model with black blades and US on the handle, so the real question is which is the real American Army knife ? :D

Last edited:
All of mine have been Vics I suppose simply because they were far more available and thought of as the "real" SAK locally. Wenger was thought of around my area as a kind of a knockoff. I now know better. I voted both on the poll since they've both been making them since more or less the beginning.

Dunno, Mecha.

I have a Swiss Army watch on my wrist says "Wenger".

SAK Rambler says "Victorinox".

I don't exactly know who gets the gold medal for THE definitive "Big Cheese" of the whole Swiss Army thing.

I'm no authority, however. As I consider everything east of Iceland as my motherland... Poland... Me being weapons-grade Polish and all.

Can something be authentic but not first? Can something be first but not authentic? I've always thought of Victorinox as the "real deal" but I think that is because my first was a Vic. But I would argue authenticity take precedence over being "first." That would make Wenger, to me, the real Swiss Army Knife. That said, my understanding is that one now owns the other.

gen·u·ine
ˈjenyo͞oən/
adjective

1. truly what something is said to be; authentic.

o·rig·i·nal
əˈrijənl/
adjective
  1. adjective: original
    1. present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.

Can something be authentic but not first? Can something be first but not authentic? I've always thought of Victorinox as the "real deal" but I think that is because my first was a Vic. But I would argue authenticity take precedence over being "first." That would make Wenger, to me, the real Swiss Army Knife. That said, my understanding is that one now owns the other.

gen·u·ine
ˈjenyo͞oən/
adjective

1. truly what something is said to be; authentic.

o·rig·i·nal
əˈrijənl/
adjective
  1. adjective: original
    1. present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.

The philosophical spin, I like it!

Per Wiki,
"In 1908 the Swiss government, wanting to prevent an issue over regional favouritism, but perhaps wanting a bit of competition in hopes of lowering prices, split the contract with Victorinox and Wenger, each getting half of the orders placed. By mutual agreement, Wenger has advertised as the Genuine Swiss Army Knife and Victorinox used the slogan, the Original Swiss Army Knife."

That is damn funny for some reason.

I have both and IIRC

Per Wiki,

Was the story I remember and

Funny and interesting. :cool: This is (IMO) a good example of the complexity of a problem overly simplified by some members who overly simplify what they disapprove of. :rolleyes: There IS a problem, but it is NOT so easily diagnosed (by those who think instead of react). ;) Thanks. :thumbsup:

WTF are you talkin' 'bout Willis? :rolleyes: :confused:

Which is the real Swiss Army Knife?

That's easy. Any Victorinox Soldier model or Wenger's Standard Issue. Period. Maybe you could also count Wenger's Model 70 but, nothing else. Everything left is just commercial knives made for the masses.

Just my opinion. Nothing more.

Back