Recommendation? Which one first?

Which one?

• Freak

• Bug Out

Results are only viewable after voting.
We tend to favor the Bugout, we have been testing it with our carbon scales and it is quite a bit more rigid than factory. Not that we thought it was an issue in the first place.

I tied it again.
Bugout...
Why? Blade thickness and handle thickness. Two great reasons for a CASUAL user who wants to slice the occasional apple.

Personally, I voted for the Bugout but it really depends upon what other knives you have.

What knife would work best for your needs compared to your wants? If you don't have a super light weight knife in your collection then go for the Bugout. If you have a need for something a little more heavy duty, then the Freek route would serve you best.

They are both super comfortable knives, IMHO.

My feeling (without having tried either) is that the Bugout is pretty ground breaking, packing all that performance in such a lightweight package. Slimness and light weight is super important to me (hard core cyclist) so I'm biased, but I expect I'll be getting one once they go into regular production.

Wow, after a few days of letting this thread get some exposure, I am surprised that the poll is almost 2:1 in favor of the Bug Out. For those that have not seen pictures of what I typically use and carry, I am a fan of knives like (from Benchmade) the Adamas, Vicar, Stryker, Griptilian, Ruckus, Contego, AFCK, TSEK, and the like.
The area I live in has no blade restrictions at all, automatics and balis are legal. In the past I have not been a fan of smaller knives, except for the mini grip, mini stryker, and a couple smaller knives from other manufacturers. However, I did buy a lot of small knives over the years because I really like knives overall, and the designs that appeal to me are what I typically go after. I think I will end up with both, I just can't decide yet. lol!

Haven't handled a Bugout but have handled a couple of Freaks and I liked it.

I have decided. I'm going to get the Bug out first. I like the size and shape of the blade. They are what I consider to be a good value given the lock and steel. I like the Freak because of the soft grippy insert and the overall size. I think both will be great knives to carry.

I like the freek a lot
The geometry of the blade and the handle are very good
But the short tang in the handle is for me a blocking point with this knife

The design of the Bug Out seems more in line with the original concept

I've had both. Currently, only have the Bugout. The Freek is so similar to a Griptilian which I'm sure you already have there's no point. Skip it. Get the Bugout.

I much prefer the Grip design, no need for a Freek. I'll have a Bugout instead.

Freek. I have one and my only complaint is the partial liners. It just give a weird feel when testing for blade play and use.
Compared to a full size grip, which tends to be more stable and sturdy? Also, compared again to a grip, how tough are those rubber handle scales. Do they flex a lot?

I have the Super Freek and at one time went looking for a smaller, lighter, slimmer good daily carry for work to whatever I ask within reason. I set my sights on a BO, went and looked/played and could not get past the fact that it just did not feel right, for whatever reason - too short, too light, too "not robust enough" feel to the handle, I then went for the 940, and that's what I came home with. It has been my favorite and constant Benchmade carry for a year, alternating with an OKC R2D2, until the 8551 I just picked up.

In your shoes, I would have also chosen the BO, since you said it's a pocket carry to do the little daily stuff the belt knife is clumsy at. And, BTW, I would never have gotten a Freek with that terrible (to me) rubber handle. That is why I got the Super Freek, the G10 upgrade made it worthwhile and comfortable and sturdy feeling. YMMWV.

Back