1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Which One Of My EDC Knives Is Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Eric556, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Eric556

Eric556 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2019
    I need your opinion. What knife in my collection do you think is the best? If you had to choose one knife to own for the rest of your life from these 5 options, which would it be? And please explain.

Benchmade 940-1 Carbon Fiber
    Benchmade Bugout 535GRY-1
    Zero Tolerance ZT0566 CF
    Spyderco Para 3 Blurple
    Chris Reeve Sebenza Small w/ Macassar Ebony Wood Inlay

Picture Link:
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8632/A5Bs5u.jpg
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/3226/tdQ9mb.jpg

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Having never handled a CRK, I'd go for the ZT.
    That said, the PM3 is a fantastic knife.

3. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Depending of what you have to do with your EDC... but I would pick either the small Sebenza or the bugout

4. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Para 3, for sure. Spyderco’s QC is top notch and the warranty department is excellent in my experience. Also, they are one of maybe three total companies I inherently trust to get the heat treatment dead on.

More specific to that model, I handled my friend’s PM3 and was impressed with how much cutting edge this more compact knife has. In fact, side-by-side to a PM2, there’s hardly a difference in functional blade length. It’s just a very handy, slice-y, utilitarian design.

Also, it’s very similar to a Manix2 in some important ways (can be opened and closed without touching the blade or putting your fingers in the path of the blade, leaf-shaped blade, full flat grind, actually useful choil) which I maintain is one of the finest designs for a cutting tool ever produced. If I didn’t have a S90V Manix already, I would probably get a PM3 in either 110V or Maxamet.

I mean, I still might. I need to do a side-by-side comparison someday and decide which I like better.

5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Small Sebenza hands down.

It is perfect size for edc and one sebenza can truly last a person multiple life times. Crk has excellent warranty/repair service where they can pretty much always get your knife as good as new.

The blade is slicy with a great tip on it. The steel while abit less impressive in terms of wear resistance compared to the 940’s s90v or the pm3’s s110v it is still an excellent all around steel.

6. CcDoubleU

CcDoubleU Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2019
    the 940! (although i prefer the aluminum scales)

7. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I don't really like any of them.

I'd go with a Vic Super Tinker.

8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Which one do you think is best?

9. Sedit

Sedit Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Hi

If the Zero Tolerance ZT0566 CF is deassisted then the ZT, because I have the same one with custom carbon fiber scales and I deassisted sited it and love it.

otherwise the bugout

cheers
    Matt

10. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    PM 3 is my choice although my EDC is a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1.

11. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    My big gripe with the 566 is that they cheaped out and used a steel framelock. This knife could have been so much more with a titanium framelock.

cchu518 and bflying like this.
  12. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

The Spyderco so you can say "blurple" for the rest of your life.

danbot, jbmonkey and orangejoe35 like this.
  13. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Definitely the CRK. No comparison.

14. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    None for me.
    The 940's weight to blade ratio is too off.
    The Bugout is too light.
    The ZT too overbuilt.
    The Para3 is too purple.
    The Sabenza is too small.

Why are you asking again?

Murphjd25, marcinek and b00n like this.
  15. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Sebenza
    Para 3

TenShun705 likes this.
  16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The ZT 566 only because the Sebenza is a small ... otherwise it would be no contest Large Sebenza all day.

17. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    CRK

18. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    940-1.
    One of the standards of EDC. Beautiful CF scales, great steel IMO, nice standoffs, lightweight, great blade to handle ratio and a joy to carry. Capable of nearly anything I need a folder for.

Eric556 likes this.
  19. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Well if I had to carry just one of those I would undoubtedly find my self at my grinder taking the blade thickness down.

Totally stock though it would have to be the
    I have one and it is a super satisfying knife.
    I love the carbon fiber handle, the blade length to handle ratio simply cannot be beat, the blade shape is super good for my use though the tip is too thick I would have to thin that down, the pivot action and lock is one of or possibly the very best that I own.

The CRK is tempting and I love, love ebony in the handle . . . but . . .
    if I can only have one knife I have to have the action of the axis lock or other (compression lock) type dropper action. Also I think I would want the longer blade of the 940 over the Small Sebenza. Am I right that the 940 is significantly longer ?

Eric556 likes this.
  20. KDUJ

KDUJ

Aug 4, 2008
    Your Sebenza Small w/ Macassar Ebony Wood Inlay

I have a CGG small sebenza and love it. perfect size for everyday.