Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

Sage 5 Sage 3 out in the rain with me. Love the lock on this knife. imo nicer to use than ball bearing or axis locks. Does make the knife a little fat in the pocket.

W5BGZeKh.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great to me. I like seeing signs of use on a knife blade.

(Warning: editorial on sharpening follows.) I didn't carry my Maxamet native for a long time because I was worried about having to sharpen it based on many reports of sharpening issues. It finally occurred to me that I was being an idiot - what's the point of having it if I'm afraid to sharpen it? I put it on the edge pro Edge Pro and great results with Shapton Glass stones and amazing results with the EP diamond stones. Maxamet sharpens easily with the right stones and takes an amazing polished edge if desired. And that blade shape lends itself to a guided sharpener quite well. This is awesome EDC that stays wickedly sharp for a long time.
I've been using it a ton on drywall lately for most of the drywall cutting tasks. A razor knife dulls quickly and almost feels like I'm trying to push a credit card through the drywall, but not this alien stuff they call Maxamet.
At the end of the day I've definitely dulled the Maxamet, but not enough to slow me down on the job. By dulled I don't mean the blade is dull, I mean it's not as stupid sharp as it was at the beginning of the day.
Just a coulple of minutes at the most on a pocket DMT Xfine/XXfine diamond stone and it's back to far better than factory edge sharp.
I believe this knife could last me the rest of my life even if I cut drywall with it every day. CPM M4 was my favorite steel for many years but this Maxamet takes and holds a scary sharp edge for a looooong time.
Really great stuff.

I've been using it a ton on drywall lately for most of the drywall cutting tasks. A razor knife dulls quickly and almost feels like I'm trying to push a credit card through the drywall, but not this alien stuff they call Maxamet.
At the end of the day I've definitely dulled the Maxamet, but not enough to slow me down on the job. By dulled I don't mean the blade is dull, I mean it's not as stupid sharp as it was at the beginning of the day.
Just a coulple of minutes at the most on a pocket DMT Xfine/XXfine diamond stone and it's back to far better than factory edge sharp.
I believe this knife could last me the rest of my life even if I cut drywall with it every day. CPM M4 was my favorite steel for many years but this Maxamet takes and holds a scary sharp edge for a looooong time.
Really great stuff.
Shhhhhh... I don’t need anymore knives right now...:D

Really great stuff.
This 100% makes sense and is 100% something I never would have considered doing. I keep using my crappy steel for stuff like drywall and am always frustrated at how fast it dulls. Of course using the best steel you can get makes sense when you're cutting material that dulls it quickly. Need to rethink some of my knife usage.

This 100% makes sense and is 100% something I never would have considered doing. I keep using my crappy steel for stuff like drywall and am always frustrated at how fast it dulls. Of course using the best steel you can get makes sense when you're cutting material that dulls it quickly. Need to rethink some of my knife usage.

I'm not employed in the trades and do no need to use any of the very expensive knives w/premium blade steel that I own for the few household chores and projects that arise. So, I'll continue to just using box cutters and utility knives w/cheap replaceable blades for those tasks. I do have a couple of premium blade steel "users" that I've acquired that I could use as well but I'd still reach for the box cutters/utility knives 1st.

However, in your situation, I'd use the best knife that you can afford for the job. If that's Maxamet or some other premium steel blade, then use it. Heck, it may even be tax deductible if it's required for use in your occupation. ;)

You can save some money by buying a "user" off of the Exchange and then just trashing the heck out of it w/little or no concern what happens to it. If you really like the knife for it's aesthetics, then buy another to coddle.

Last edited:
Back