Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

MWb1HoZ.jpg

Bought a Myrtle recently because its a larger folder w/a longer blade (which I collect) but really didn't like carrying it yesterday.

It feels good in the hand but the blade shape is odd (which isn't a serious problem because I wouldn't use it to cut anything anyway) but the knife feels larger in my pocket than others of similar size (even larger than the Vallotton that it replaced) and Myrtle's clip is shaped like some Ken Onion Kershaws, which (while stylish) makes it difficult to pocket. On the positive side, there is no Ti lock stick. It is also worth nothing (again on the negative side) that the Myrtle is a strictly a right-handed knife based on the lack of alternate clip mounting options and the lack of left hand access to the blade w/the thumb or 3rd finger.

More negatives than positives IMO. Despite that, I don't think I'm going to sell it but it certainly won't spend much (if any) more time in my pocket.

SP-C194CFTIP.jpg

Last edited:
I have looked at Myrtle multiple times but did not pull the trigger. Not sure what the edge profile is specifically designed for. To me it appears the edge was mistakenly put on the spine :D

I have looked at Myrtle multiple times but did not pull the trigger. Not sure what the edge profile is specifically designed for. To me it appears the edge was mistakenly put on the spine :D

This is how Spyderco describes the functional design of the Myrtle blade: "Its most unusual feature is its distinctive blade profile, which combines the extreme cutting performance of a broad, leaf-shaped blade with the enhanced utility and dexterity of a slightly hooked point. This shape allows the user to cut with power near the base of the blade and scalpel-like precision with the hawkbill-style tip."

Not sure why you'd want to use a blade this large for "precision" cutting; I'd use a much smaller knife for that purpose. The the hawkbill design would also seem to call for more a pulling (rather than pushing) motion when cutting; at least for the initial motion, much like that used w/a karambit. I may try cutting some soft meat/fruit to see how it actually functions in action.

Last edited:
Decided to try carrying a D'Allara 3 today.

Got a great deal on it from the Knife Center (a forum sponsor) that's selling it for $140 (43% of MSRP) and was able to get an additional $50 cash card discount off of it. So, it only cost me $90. :)

A touch smaller than I prefer but a nice size for an EDC. Like the wire clip on it, because it doesn't show wear and slips easily in/out of my pocket. Blade shape is ok for general use. The knife was originally designed as a "rescue" knife w/a serrated blade and the blade shape appears to be a carry over from the blade design. I'm not really fond of serrated blades and am glad this one is plain edged.

The only thing I don't like about the knife is the ball bearing lock. The claim is the ball bearing makes the lock up stronger and more secure but it really was a PITA to release when new but it has loosened up a bit w/use. However, it still cannot be released by firmly holding both sides of the ball bearing and pulling it back while using the other hand to hold the blade. While I'm not a big fan of the ability to unlock a folder single handed, even this is too much trouble for me. So, I will NOT buy another Sypderco w/a bearing ball locking device on it.

Otherwise, the knife is fine. LOL! ;)

YYBbsTEVRFvLbrSDaDB9_pcbanner.jpg

Last edited:
Today I'm carrying my new Bradley2. I REALLY like this knife. It looks bigger than I usually like, but it's the same size as my PM2. It just feels awesome in my hand.

Back