Recommendation? Which Spydercos are easiest to open?

Sage is my only one right now but it's very easy to open with my 68 yr old, beat to crap arthritic hands. It's a leaf shaped blade that works well for me.--KV

I have a couple Manix2s, two PM2s, and a Native5. Of those, the PM2s fly open with ease. Probably because the compression lock exerts very little pressure on the blade when opening & closing. Second place goes to the Manix2s, then the Native.

My Military is extremely easy to open, was something wrong with your pivot? The PM2 is only easier because you can disengage the lock and it swings open, otherwise they are about the same. My Manix is a little harder to open because the lock tension is stiffer. I would definitely stay away from any of the back lock models as they seem like the hardest opening Spydercos.

I think this is going to be very individual because everyone's hand is different, but I would recommend the PM2 and use the lock disengagement method. I don't think there is a model over 3.5 that will be any easier than the two you mentioned.

Starmate for standard Spyderco setup. Ball locks are easy to open as well. Of course any knife with the wave or automatic.

The PM2s I've had have been the easiest to open. They're not my favorites, but they sure seem to have the detent and pivot tolerances nailed on those.

Last edited:
My PM2 is impossible to distinguish between other very smooth bearing pivot action knives. It is simply my smoothest washer pivot knife, with no (or imperceptible) blade play. No other knife like it in my (way too many) collection. And it's an amazing thumb "flicker" that rivals any bearing/flipper in speed. I still have trouble performing the "Spydie Flick" with middle or index finger on most knives. But that is an issue with my own hand dexterity, not knife smoothness or flickability

Another favorite (after some mod work), is my GB2. A little grinding on the front liner and scale makes the thumb hole completely visible and more accessible. And made the liner lock MUCH easier to unlock and close. It now flicks open like my PM2, but in the loved GB shape, and M4 steel.

The Domino as mentioned above is smooth, but not like it could have been. Being a flipper on bearing, it's nowhere near, say, a ZT Flipper in the same price range. Needs a little bearing race tweaks/improvements from factory to make it "flipper & bearing" competitive. But still a fine knife nonetheless. And if the preference is to use the Spydie Hole more than flipper, I would want to add a scale scallop and/or just open up the scales from the edge like my GB2 Access Mod. I still like my Domino, but just don't carry much anymore giving preference to the many new kids on the block.

Since my jeans and belt only allow carry of a dozen or two knives at any one time, there is just too much competition for pocket time. So I find myself being a little more picky for my EDC choices. But my GB2 and PM2 often find themselves at or near the top of my list.

I apologize in advance for how shiny the blades are. I just discovered Ren Wax, and went a little crazy. :)

U02oYua.jpg

SodurWd.jpg

;) The ones with zip tie wave mods ! :rolleyes:

Ugh...I always cringe when I see the dreaded
'zip tie' Sacrileged Spydie Hole !!

Autonomy 2. Push big old button, and go! :D

Dwmc3hFh.jpg
Where's the button on the 'Green' one, Lol :D

-I generally find Spydercos' opening options to be quite smooth. More so the larger models make sense vs. some of the 'Little Big Knife' offerings
that may require more finger dexterity to deploy.
Agreed on the Manix, and I can't comment on all of the others mentioned, but I've found even the older,
discontinued models to be very nice, as well.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:

:rolleyes: Maybe not very aesthetically pleasing , but entirely functional and extremely cheap ! :p:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
-The Spyderco Hole is 'Entirely Functional' as Designed, and as far as a 'cheap plastic thumbstud',
All that does is 'Cheapen' the knife, albeit aesthetically, but IMO is a visual complaint to the design itself.

-The Spyderco Hole is 'Entirely Functional' as Designed, and as far as a 'cheap plastic thumbstud',
All that does is 'Cheapen' the knife, albeit aesthetically, but IMO is a visual complaint to the design itself.
I understand the concern , but my priorities differ . :p

It's been five years since I bought a knife with a thumbstud. I haven't seen a design since to change my mind. All but two of my folders are either spydiehole, flippers, or automatic.

In that they are designed for one hand opening, most spyderco's are not hard to open. The exception was the Szabo folder.

Back