Which would YOU choose?

And WHY?

AM-SKE-2 Al Mar Shrike

Spyderco SS Endura

These are my current choices for my new EDC. I need something that I wont be afraid to cut with.

As of right now Im leaning toward the Endura becuase of its smaller price tag, but simultaniously Im leaning toward the Shrike becuase of its design and becuase I know how well the SERE 2000 performed, however I dont know if I'll like the micarta handles. (I have a CRKT P/K Companion fixed blade with G-10 scales, that I really hated for the first month or so, I've just got were I can enjoy the knife.)

Thanks guys!

Of your choices, the Camillus EDC is a good one. I have 3 of them. I really prefer the Spyderco LWT. Calypso Jr. to nearly anything though.

Can you get the Stainless Endura with a VG10 blade? If so, that would be my choice for the value and the steel.

If not, I'd go for the D2 EDC from AG Russell for the steel, frame lock and the form factor.

For an all around everyday chore knife, I would go with the Endura.

I think the Spyderco knives are excellent for that application. And they are slim and lightweight for carrying. Without knowing what your uses would be like it's hard to say. The CUDA MAXX may, or may not be too much.

Just my $.02

Jubei

The Spyderco Endura is a great EDC knife. It is just the right size to handle any task. It is razor sharp, and the VG-10 steel performs very well, and is easy to sharpen. And it is one of the best knives for the money. I don't have the SS version but the Zytel version, and it is very strudy and tough. The SS will be heavier but probably make it an indestructible hard-use knife.

personally I prefer the camillus edc, I have a few. I have the 420, 154cm, and the D2. Its a great all around utilitarian knife. Its small, but does the job of a larger knife. Its "user friendly" and carries well in the pockets, does not print. Can hardly tell its there when carrying it.

My uses would be limited. Im not constantly using a knife. But on the occasions I do, I don't want to whip out my CS Vaq.Grande.

I would probably cut basic things...String, rope, plastic, tape, things like that. However I want somethign that can cut a seatbelt if my life were in danger.

I'll be going to cadet school soon to start my career in law enforment. I want it to last through that and beyond, and not be "too much" like the Cuda Maxx might prove to be. Infact, Im taking it off the choice list.

I dont own a A Mar or a CUDA but they are brand name knifes, expensive and from what I read in Blade are quality knives.
I do know Spyderco. That would be my choice. Quality, price, design, I like it. You cant go wrong. IMHO

Jack

sounds like the edc might be a good choice for you. There is nothing wrong with spyderco of course, but personally I have found the edc to be less "obtrusive" and really good for a wide range of uses.

Truthfully the Cam.EDC looks a bit...ehh...I just dont seem to like the style of it. The body reminds me of those cheap knives I used to have as a kid. Although in the back of my head, I KNOW that the EDC is very high quality, and FAR from cheap. Ugh!

Shrike is pretty cool, and I've never handled one, but I'm scared to death of my hand slipping on those smooth, guardless micarta handles.

Endura SS is ok I suppose.

Camillus EDC... eh... I haven't had much luck with mine... but if you wanna take it off my hands, I'd be happy to discuss it with you... email me at aromig@teclogic.com if interested

FRN Endura or even a Dolica will do everything you want it to a very reasonable price. Try one--you won't be disapointed!

If you get it in S.S. it comes with an Aus-6 blade...Why not just grab it in FRN and get the VG-10? One of the best knife steels out there. I know the FRN looks cheasy on the Endura(if they would give it the spyderweb patern on the Native or the fishscale one on the Calypso's it would be so much nicer...) but it's a really grippy design. Plus FRN is very durable.

If you must go with a knife with metal handles though grab the EDC. It has a 154-CM blade and all reports of it I've heard have been good. (If you have large hands you might want to look back at the Endura though.)
-Kevin

Well... at the risk of getting in trouble for trying to sell my wares... I also have a VG-10 Endura with a minor problem that displeases me that I'm interested in parting with... aromig@teclogic.com to anyone who cares (good prices, though I won't quote them here).

Originally posted by YoungCutter
Shrike is pretty cool, and I've never handled one, but I'm scared to death of my hand slipping on those smooth, guardless micarta handles.

The Shrike is a very nice knife. I own one and can recommend it, but I agree that the scales are rather slick. For general utility use, it doesn't present a problem. The knife is beatifully made in typical Al Mar fashion. The liner lock is also very secure.

i'd choose the shrike or better yet the sere 2k. Imo those two are simply the best knives out of the bunch, the endura is a good knife too and cheaper then the al mars. The EDC i don't like at all, both the one i had and the one my friend has the blade was way way off center. The knife itself is not bad, the handle is a bit small for me and the overall look of the knife is cheap. The handle plus the finish makes the knife look cheap imo. But this is just a personal opinion

Morgoth412: According to Spyderco's website, the FRN version comes in ATS-55 steel. Still a good steel however, but Im not looking to cut down trees, just everyday annoyances.

Manji: I agree about the Cuda EDC...It's now off the list. ;)

Knifenerd: How exactly slippery is the Micarta? I recently read a thread on the Busse forums about Micarta vs. G-10, and it was very interesting. I just wanna hear your opinion of the feeling of it.

Thanks!

Here's another vote for the Endura. I've had an Endura since 1992 and it has served me very well. I love the ergonomics, the blade length is perfect and you can't beat having a company like Spyderco when it comes to warranty.

Back