Who buys all these DOTD Kukris?

kgriggs8

BANNED
There just doesn't seem to be enough people to support this many specials. There must be on average 5-6 Kukris being sold a day. You would think that the regulars tend to buy what they need and at some point are more or less set. I mean how many of the same knife do you need? I can understand getting one of each type but does anyone buy half a dozen of the exact same model? If so, why?

I am only asking because I keep checking in to see if there are any deals and they keep selling out before I have a chance to buy one. I figuired at some point, it would slow down but I don't see that happening yet.

kgriggs8 said:
There just doesn't seem to be enough people to support this many specials. There must be on average 5-6 Kukris being sold a day. You would think that the regulars tend to buy what they need and at some point are more or less set. I mean how many of the same knife do you need? I can understand getting one of each type but does anyone buy half a dozen of the exact same model? If so, why?

I am only asking because I keep checking in to see if there are any deals and they keep selling out before I have a chance to buy one. I figuired at some point, it would slow down but I don't see that happening yet.

You know, I wonder the same thing sometimes. There are rarely over 20 people on the forum at any given time yet the DOTDs and YBBs are usually gone in minutes.

There are many items HI sells that I do not have. More models are introduced every month, it seems, since Yangdu took over.

So a real 'collector' has his hands full. Remember too that most models have different sizes. And that every blade is unique to some extent. You could own three 18" Sirupates and all be different.

I have 20+ blades from HI. If there were more money, I could easily double that.

People love them. They are worth having for beauty and fun.

munk

oh, I think the number of folks listed at the bottom of the page is the tip of the iceberg. 20 people are not buying all these specials.

munk

It's an addiction. They all feel different in your hand.

From what I gather, Svashtar is probably the current longest running prolific collector - I think he posted his numbers a while back. He keeps most of his pretty much pristine and targets "firsts" whether it's first of a model with a wooden or horn handle, first of a certain length, first with a chiruwa handle, etc. And of course filling gaps of things he doesn't have and swapping out older things he has duplicates of - you can pick up some good stuff if you watch for his posts in the Exchange - at cost or below for everything I remember seeing.

I pick up a fair number each month - probably 5-6 on average when I have access at DOTD times. It isn't really rare that I grab three knives in a day (one "premium" blade like a 25" chitlangi, a sword or 20" Sgt. Khadka Chiruwa AK/one bargain priced villager or 14" or 15" khukuri/one "little" knife).

Until recently, when the DOTD times moved out of lunchtime and before the end of the day, I didn't really pick up much other than HI stuff, so it wasn't a huge burden - working a job you only took to make enough money to make your now ex-wife happy combined with a no-contest divorce and no kids makes overspending on a hobby guilt free.

There are also people who don't display when they're online (there is a setting someplace in your preferences or profile) and some who don't post in the forum much or at all that I think still pick up a fair number of blades.

And, in the year I've been here, there always seems to be someone that comes in, buys everything in sight for a month or so and then disappears....

I don't actually think Norm is top dog collector, or even longest standing. I say this only as a matter of mild curiousity, not to take away or add to anyone's percieved reputation. There are many collectors we don't hear about. I know from talking to Yangdu many are behind the scenes.

I forgot about gifts. I've given away 5 or 6, and many people routinely give to friends and relatives all the time. That adds to sales.

With the recent splash of new models - hunters and fighters and skinners, even collectors who 'have everything' can start over again.

If one is going to collect, what could be better than HI khuks? They are heirlooms. They may not be here tomorow; one never knows.

I have more guns than I 'need' but am glad to have them.

munk

not ghosts......... Sharks! Bloodthirsty, greedy, grubbing SHARKS!

Because of that I virtually have no chance of getting my Sgian Dhu any time soon :(

Jack

There may be several stealth lurkers who shark for DOTDs. It sure isn't me buying all of them.

Bob

For me, I am having a ton of fun trying to win the dotd khuks. With several handle materials, blade lengths and styles there always seems to be something new. I've noticed in the few months that I have been here that my tastes in blade styles has changed. At first I wanted nothing other than an ang khola...that morphed into the ganga ram and then the pen knives. Always in the background is the thirst for a foxy folly. I've also noticed the changes occur the more I am in the field using one. You have some preconceived notions of what is best, and then as you chop you begin wondering what if... For me, I am very appreciative of what Yangdu offers here and the format of the dotd.
DanR

I have often pondered this question myself. I am still trying to pounce on a villager BAS. One of these days....one of these days.

KGRIGGS8,
I know what you mean... After coming home from work, taking care of the wife and kids and chores, I check the website and by then the feeding frenzy is over. I'll be honest, I think I'm just envious of people who have so much cash on hand to buy these beautiful blades.
One thing I will say, I'm totally impressed with the leadership of Yangdu and how she runs this company. I also appreciate the good natured tone of this forum. Hopefully one day, I'll be able to keep up with the pack. It sure is fun though.

The biggest DOTD shark of all time...I haven't seen in a long time... :(

My first kukri was a BAS...I quickly outgrew it, modified it, and moved on. I think now, though, I'm ready to come back to it again.

Honestly, though...sometimes you just gotta have it...and it's too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm sure Munk's right, and there are many guys I think who just slip in quietly and add to their collection and then disappear. I don't know about "top dog", I know what I have and what many others do, as well as what Yangdu has mentioned to me, and unless people start posting numbers no one will ever know the answer to that for a certainty and can only guess without any evidence to back it up. I don't think that's particularly helpful or healthy in any case; however I do know I'm not the longest standing by a long shot. Also, many folks get their HI's second hand, as there are a lot of them out there and they don't exactly wear out.

If you haven't guessed from my past reactions, or you could legitimately argue "over-reactions", I am sensitive about this subject, having found that for some few people, the only thing that separates a "casual collector" from a "^%$#@ no good greedy SOB" is him having one more knife than you. That's why I made it a point to lie low for at least the first 6-9 months here, and to post only periodic reviews or mentions of knives from that point going forward. As Jim Morrison said, "People are strange..." ;)

There is one fellow up here in the Bay Area that has posted less than a hundred times, but I have watched his screen name come and go and he has posted enough to let me know he has snagged some real one of a kind knives. He has excellent taste, and just because he might have only 20 of the very best khukuris that HI has ever offered doesn't mean that he might not have 10 times that many from other mfrs. or collectibles on his wall.

Some folks always post that they are emailing, some never do, and some like me are intermittent. When Sassas and a couple of other "new" guys were snagging them within the first minute last year, I can tell you I did not spend much time posting that I was emailing Yangdu. :D In fact most of my time in Q3 of 2005 was spent morosely creating Sassas voodoo dolls and frantically jabbing pins into them every day around 12:30 p.m. PST trying to screw up his rythym. :D Two 20" M43's indeed... :confused: :p :D

LCS37 was a huge collector for a while, and then died down. I'm not working now, or at least am working at home and making quite a bit less than I was previously, so by necessity I've slowed down but still try to keep my hand in as much as financially possible. Trying to get back into the FT job groove takes priority though.

As Sassas mentioned, many times I see a model I would like to upgrade and so will sell off the old version. Nothing wrong with it, I just saw one I kind of liked better. I also will sometimes do that, and then get the new one but can't bear to part with the old one! Which is why I have so many BGRS's. BUT, I still don't have a chiruwa BGRS, or a single one with a standard bolster. I'll live though...;)

In the last 6 months I really got into Bark Rivers and ended up selling probably 30 HI knives to finance them (but then bought 20 replacements.) Still, I made _some_ progress. :D

Thank God the Busse / Randall and CRK bugs have bitten only (somewhat) gently so far, or I would really be in trouble.

Oh, almost forgot, one other reason people keep going for years, and we discussed this in a thread last year, as of now there have been something like 120 different HI models offered, and that's not even counting the handle variants. :eek:

Norm

ShadowchaserUFP said:
not ghosts......... Sharks! Bloodthirsty, greedy, grubbing SHARKS!

Because of that I virtually have no chance of getting my Sgian Dhu any time soon :(

Jack

Jack, if you really want one, I wouldn't wait for a DOTD. Just look at what the last one went for, and send a check to Yangdu for the same amount with a note asking for what you want. It may take 6-8 weeks but one will come rolling in with your name on it.

I think this has worked for other folks in the past. If Yangdu has a new policy in this regard then my apologies, but it's worth exploring.

Best,

Norm

Svashtar said:
When Sassas and a couple of other "new" guys were snagging them within the first minute last year, I can tell you I did not spend much time posting that I was emailing Yangdu. :D In fact most of my time in Q3 of 2005 was spent morosely creating Sassas voodoo dolls and frantically jabbing pins into them every day around 12:30 p.m. PST trying to screw up his rythym. :D Two 20" M43's indeed... :confused: :p :D

indeed, i'm a relative newbie, and if i see the DOTD come up, my intarweb sk1lls are leet and i snag ;) i know i've gotten a couple that peopel REALLY wanted. i regret there's such competition sometimes. on the other hand, i've thought about a couple, and waited too long... got snagged from me. in one case, one of them eventually came to me used :>

Svashtar said:
LCS37 was a huge collector for a while, and then died down. I'm not working now, or at least am working at home and making quite a bit less than I was previously, so by necessity I've slowed down but still try to keep my hand in as much as financially possible. Trying to get back into the FT job groove takes priority though.

also indeed, i'm in the same position, and i've been aiming to grab certain very specific items. if the metal isn't the right color, shape, or it's not wood, or ... i don't jump now. i have a list, and i'm somewhat near finishing it :) for now. then i can dabble; but i promised myself a budget, and only certain items. makes the hunting more sweet.

course, getting them second hand helps, and i'm also interested in other brands and items. so, the budget is thin thin thin. HIs are a nice value though, so :)

so there's a few in the 20+ inch range i'm pondering, chitlangi in particular, but it has to be exactly right - i'm not up for attempting a resell/trade (too much hassle) and there's precious few in the under 17 inch range... so that leaves 17-19... a foxy, a YCS, a few like that - unless something REALLY tempty comes along, i can say i'm getting satiated - i've a nice little collection, and a strong urge to use them. big and small versions of same models, single sized unique ones, like that.

for the time being, i've already spent my budget forward some months. need a job. i'll be glancing at the DOTDs, so y'all aren't 100% safe, but my potential of buying anything are way down due to the many restrictions i now have, so, SOME of you can breath a bit ;)

bladite

for me, it's the thrill of the hunt. So, I prefer to snag the DOTD's online.

plus, there's always braggin rights....:D :p

But yes, Svashtar...I believe that policy is still in place.

To be honest...I've been out-sharked quite a bit lately...but I'm a bit more easy-going about it too...not like the old days. :eek:

:foot:

kgriggs8 said:

It'll happen, especially if you can find a way to check it out over the lunch hour. Even if not, something will come your way eventually. I think that it just takes the gods saying that one of them is meant for you.

I was definitely frustrated when I started scouting the DOTDs, but some of the folks here advised me that the frenzies come and go. And indeed, about the time that I was ready to give up, I found a couple that nobody seemed to want. The Dui Chirra (sp?) that I bought had been untouched for over a day! Of course, *right* after I bought it somebody bemoaned having missed it (felt kind of bad about that, especially since I've only used it to hack up one small tree so far--there's just not enough brush here in suburbia).

Grab what you can, when you can. Sharking is as old as the Cantina and it ain't gonna surprise anyone. I'd not advise meanly rubbing anyones face in it, but some good natured jibing is part of the tradition. Don't feel bad about getting in ahead of somebody, all the old timers here will tell you that these knives have a way of finding their way to their rightful owners. Some really good stories out there about just that kind of thing happening in some pretty unusual ways.

Back