Who collaborates with who?

jbib

Gold Member
Basic Member
I've found some knifemakers collaborate with others. Tops with Buck and Kershaw with Emerson immediately come to mind. One potential collaboration of two grail knives comes to mind, Emerson and KaBar. Is this the craziest thing you've read here lately? Is there anything water and oil about this? I suppose I'd buy their effort on general principles! Respectfully submitted,

I don't know if it's a "collaboration' per se but companies that want to make knives using Emerson's patented "wave" tab have to pay Emerson for the privilege.

Spyderco has made a number of knives "in collaboration" with Emerson using the wave, including but not limited to the Endura, Endela, Delica, Dragonfly, PM2 & Para3.

ZT made the 0620 & 0630 which included the wave but also made the 0640 "in collaboration" w/Emerson w/o the wave. And, as you should already know, Kershaw is an affiliate of ZT's under the KAI umbrella.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a "collaboration' per se but companies that want to make knives using Emerson's patented "wave" tab have to pay Emerson for the privilege.

Spyderco has made a number of knives "in collaboration" with Emerson using the wave, including but not limited to the Endura, Endela, Delica, Dragonfly, PM2 & Para3.

ZT made the 0620 & 0630 which included the wave but also made the 0640 "in collaboration" w/Emerson w/o the wave. And, as you should already know, Kershaw is an affiliate of ZT's under the KAI umbrella.
I am not sure how collaborative they are. My point was sorta like would Chevy collaborate with Ford. (In this case I'd be pretty sure the answer is no). Or are they more like artists?

That patent expired several years ago.

Reactions: DMG
Like the AC/DC song Who Made Whom.

The Diskin/Kershaw livewire OTF in Magnacut is tempting.

Kabar does collab with plenty of designers. Off the top of my head, Becker, Jarosz, Dozier, and Snody. Iā€™m sure there are others Iā€™m forgetting. Theyā€™ve all been great.

And by the way, OP you mentioned Kershawā€™s collaboration with Emerson, but Kershaw and Ken Onion have a long standing old school relationship thatā€™s probably been at least as fruitful as their work with Ernie Emerson, if not more so.

I am not sure how collaborative they are. My point was sorta like would Chevy collaborate with Ford. (In this case I'd be pretty sure the answer is no). Or are they more like artists?
Chevy and Ford collaborated on the design of their new 10 speed automatic transmissions recently

Toyota has collaborated with other carmakers that needed help with hybrid tech.

I've found some knifemakers collaborate with others. Tops with Buck and Kershaw with Emerson immediately come to mind. One potential collaboration of two grail knives comes to mind, Emerson and KaBar. Is this the craziest thing you've read here lately? Is there anything water and oil about this? I suppose I'd buy their effort on general principles! Respectfully submitted,
If you're just talking about knife manufacturers collaborating with each other, that happens but is less common of course than knife makers collaborating with knife manufacturers, which is more like a "day ending in 'y'" issue.

Spartan and Ka-Bar have collaborated, as well, don't think that got brought up. Ka-Bar owns the Ek brand, and Spartan has made some special-run Ek knives as well as some Ka-Bar knives.

Lots of American designers collaborate with Chinese manufacturers these days.

Chevy and Ford collaborated on the design of their new 10 speed automatic transmissions recently

Toyota has collaborated with other carmakers that needed help with hybrid tech.
Haha you beat me to it sir šŸ˜‰

Reactions: DMG
Back