?Who hates SAK'S?

NGK-Webmaster said:
Well like it has been said above they don't change much if any through time, this years model is the same as last years and the year before etc.

I appreciate them for what they are but have never carried one because I don't like the weight in my pockets, Although come to think of it I did carry one on a key ring a long time ago.

I think instead of having a who hates them thread and having boring looking same Ole knives we should start a customizing contest and see who comes up with the best looking customized SAK, new handles etc. !

ScottK does customizing. :) Really good stuff he has. I will be ordering a Cocobola handled Camper from him once I scrap some money together.

SAK's have changed over the years. It's very subtle stuff mostly. Why change a great design when no change is necessary? :confused:

As for weight, like I said, there really isn't much weight to the smaller ones. Certainly most of the tacticals I have owned weighed more.
-Kevin

To say "I hate them." is a little too strong but I can't say I like them.

In my opinion their faults are:

1) Too chunky for comfortable pocket carrry.

2) Blade(s) are made of the softest, lowest quality stainless I have ever seen in a knife. Their only good point is their corrosion resistance.

3) Most of the tools are so ill designed that they fail to work correctly. For example if you actually try to use the "screw driver" tool on a tight screw you will just tear up the tool and/or the screw head. Usually the blade(s), awl, can opener, saw and cork screw are the only "usable" tools and even these are not up to the standards of typical hand tools.

4) Even mild impact abuse will crack off the scales.

My preference is a plain folder and regular tools or if you must have an all in one device a leatherman type multitool.

nhamilto40 said:
To say "I hate them." is a little too strong but I can't say I like them.

In my opinion their faults are:

1) Too chunky for comfortable pocket carrry.

2) Blade(s) are made of the softest, lowest quality stainless I have ever seen in a knife. Their only good point is their corrosion resistance.

3) Most of the tools are so ill designed that they fail to work correctly. For example if you actually try to use the "screw driver" tool on a tight screw you will just tear up the tool and/or the screw head. Usually the blade(s), awl, can opener, saw and cork screw are the only "usable" tools and even these are not up to the standards of typical hand tools.

4) Even mild impact abuse will crack off the scales.

My preference is a plain folder and regular tools or if you must have an all in one device a leatherman type multitool.

Wow alot of this seems just wrong to me.

1. What SAK's are you looking at? If you are talking Swiss Champ xlt I will agree with you. How can an Alox Bantam, Camper, Tinker, Rambler, Etc., be too clunky for pocket carry? There are many SAK's that are too big to EDC but there are many that can be EDC'd.

2. The stainless is great in my oppinion. Lowest quality in any knife?! God no, the steel may not hold an edge for a lifetime but it certainly lasts quite long enough to get you through the required task. Mine lasts me about a month of regular use. If you can't find the time to sharpen once a month how can you call yourself a knife nut!! :p The steel also gets as sharp as all get out. I have never seen a steel be able to get so sharp aside from VG-10. :) It is my favorite steel, and I have owned almost all stainless steels.

3. The tools seem well designed to me but maybe I just have great technique. ;) The screwdrivers have always worked great, and furthermore the pen, bottle opener, magnifying glass, fish scaler, metal file/saw, tweezers, and all the others have always worked great for me.

4. I have dropped my Camper about 4 times since I got it. There are very few scratches let alone cracks. On SAK's I have owned in the past there has never been a problem. On the Alox models this wouldn't even be possible. :eek:

I thank you for putting out reasons though. :)
-Kevin

I hate them!

I have no appreciation of the mild steel in them, the junky plastic handles are the worst, the doo-dads are not very durable, and they're noy sturdy.

Yes, I've owned severel, in an attempt to appreciate them. They have all been given away or thrown away.

To be fair, the only that merits honorable mention as coming close to being what I consider to be a possible choice would be the military style with the aluminum handle slabs. Still junky steel though. As far as sharpening, you can sharpen the lid to a tin can and get the same sharpness that can be obtained on a lot of steels. Once you put them to real uses, you can see the difference. I'm not talking about trimming your nails and opening envelopes. I'm talking about work that us blue collar grunts and hunters do.

Thomas

I hate them for the same reason I hate Casio watches when I am wearing my Patek at the 'wrong' time!

I spent a fair amount of money on my EDC (WH Pearl/Damascus T-12) that I use everyday. BUT, when faced with a task that requires a screwdriver, aul, corkscrew etc...I wish I had my SAK which cost a lot less money!

So, I hate them for their practicality!!!! This may be the only time in my life that I can get away with a statement like that....

zinn1348 said:
I hate them!

Once you put them to real uses, you can see the difference. I'm not talking about trimming your nails and opening envelopes. I'm talking about work that us blue collar grunts and hunters do.

What kind of work do you think we do? :confused: Of course I put them to real use, they are knives. I cut with them. I cut anything and everything with them and I do it often. There have been tons of hunters who have used SAK's in a pinch as well...Some of them I have heard talk of it on this forum.

You seem under the impression that only the new steels are true work steels... What do you think your grandparents did with steel?! Pick the grit out of there nails?? Let me not even begin to mention the steel your grandparents used was state of the art compared to knives in the middle ages, and I beleive they got by fine cutting with them! :D

Swiss Army Knife steel is high tech in the grand scheme of things, and despite the fact it can't hold an edge as long as D2 or S30V it certainly holds an edge long enough to bring you through your work day. If you really USE a knife, which I'm sure you do, you will notice that D2 and S30V tend to take a long time to sharpen. Not the case with the SAK ss. Sharpen it in a few minures and don't worry about it not staying that way for a year.

As for the handles and tools, they work great. I see no problem other then cosmetics. How are the handles really that bad other then looks or feel, and how can you say the tools aren't durable. They are solid steel. Bend the screwdriver? It's possible, but it's also possible on a Craftsman screwdriver.

Thanks for your input though even if I disagree.

-Kevin :)

acastell said:
I hate them for the same reason I hate Casio watches when I am wearing my Patek at the 'wrong' time!

I spent a fair amount of money on my EDC (WH Pearl/Damascus T-12) that I use everyday. BUT, when faced with a task that requires a screwdriver, aul, corkscrew etc...I wish I had my SAK which cost a lot less money!

So, I hate them for their practicality!!!! This may be the only time in my life that I can get away with a statement like that....

A William Henry is a fine EDC. :)

The funniest thing about SAK's is I'd be willing to bet money that the SAK blade will slice through cardboard cleaner then any WH. Till the steel starts going dull that is. ;) Then it's cath-up time for the WH.

Yeah, SAK's are nothing if not practical. Probably the best deal in the knife world along with Opinels.
-Kevin

Well, an SAK camper was my first knife. I don't like SAKs for a few reasons.

1. The 'tools' on them, screwdriver etc, pale in comparison to my leatherman tools. They are simply more 'knives' than tools.
2. They don't have pliers/real scissors. This is where leatherman wins big time.
3. Most SAKs, esp. smaller models, feel kinda flimsy and cheap in the hand. The blades are very thin.

Well, they most definitely are better knives than Leathermans. However, I'd say that in the world of knives and multitools, the SAKs are jack of all trades, masters of none. I prefer a micra and a benchmade for EDC. Simply more useful tools in a small package. The knife on the benchmade is way better than the one on the SAK, and the tools on the leatherman are better than SAK tools, IMO.

Ok, the SAKs have a better corkscrew. But I'm too young to drink (legally), so doesn't bother me :p

Morgoth412 said:
What kind of work do you think we do? :confused: Of course I put them to real use, they are knives. I cut with them. I cut anything and everything with them and I do it often.

*snip*

You seem under the impression that only the new steels are true work steels... What do you think your grandparents did with steel?! Pick the grit out of there nails??

*snip*
Swiss Army Knife steel is high tech in the grand scheme of things, and despite the fact it can't hold an edge as long as D2 or S30V it certainly holds an edge long enough to bring you through your work day. If you really USE a knife, which I'm sure you do, you will notice that D2 and S30V tend to take a long time to sharpen. Not the case with the SAK ss. Sharpen it in a few minures and don't worry about it not staying that way for a year.

I'll jump on this one. My problem with SAKs, and I work mine really hard, is this: There isn't a really sizable single blade. If Vic made a 4- 4 1/2" Solo or something similar, I'd grab it.

As for the tools, I've never killed one. I've beaten and abused my Tinker, humiliated my Deluxe Tinker through a long day, and ran my Soldier through a long month of PT in a weekend. I have NEVER bent a tool, much less broken one. I've stripped screws, but so what? I've done that with a screwdriver too.

It dulls. So what. I have a file in the truck, and a stone at home. If it dulls, it's back to work in five. I've used Alox and cellidor, and I've never busted a scale. My Tinker came loose, but I superglued it back on and it kept going. The blades don't even think of wobbling.

Regarding Leathermen and Gerbers, I can say this. For pliers, I'll take the multi. For a knife, I'll take the SAK. A SAK is a knife with some useful tools. A Leatherman is a toolkit with a mediocre knife. I have broken two Leathermen by mangling the wire cutters and snapping the screwdriver. On the same screws, the SAK keeps on turning.

I do hate any SAK that isn't made by Victorinox, but I love Victorinox. I've EDC'ed a Victorinox (usually two) every day for 67% of my life now, and I'm a young guy so the first 8 years aren't going to make as much of a difference as time goes on.

But God help me I loathe Wegner. And I hate the crappy SAK style knives that any number of junk knife manufacturers make. I hate them I hate them I hate them! Does that count as hating SAKs?

DeadManWalking said:
I do hate any SAK that isn't made by Victorinox, but I love Victorinox. I've EDC'ed a Victorinox (usually two) every day for 67% of my life now, and I'm a young guy so the first 8 years aren't going to make as much of a difference as time goes on.

But God help me I loathe Wegner. And I hate the crappy SAK style knives that any number of junk knife manufacturers make. I hate them I hate them I hate them! Does that count as hating SAKs?

No doesn't count, Haha. Made me smile though. :)
-Kevin

Sword and Shield said:
I'll jump on this one. My problem with SAKs, and I work mine really hard, is this: There isn't a really sizable single blade. If Vic made a 4- 4 1/2" Solo or something similar, I'd grab it.

As for the tools, I've never killed one. I've beaten and abused my Tinker, humiliated my Deluxe Tinker through a long day, and ran my Soldier through a long month of PT in a weekend. I have NEVER bent a tool, much less broken one. I've stripped screws, but so what? I've done that with a screwdriver too.

It dulls. So what. I have a file in the truck, and a stone at home. If it dulls, it's back to work in five. I've used Alox and cellidor, and I've never busted a scale. My Tinker came loose, but I superglued it back on and it kept going. The blades don't even think of wobbling.

Regarding Leathermen and Gerbers, I can say this. For pliers, I'll take the multi. For a knife, I'll take the SAK. A SAK is a knife with some useful tools. A Leatherman is a toolkit with a mediocre knife. I have broken two Leathermen by mangling the wire cutters and snapping the screwdriver. On the same screws, the SAK keeps on turning.

Pretty much my point. I think you understand. :D
-Kevin

ivan_yulaev said:
1. The 'tools' on them, screwdriver etc, pale in comparison to my leatherman tools. They are simply more 'knives' than tools.
2. They don't have pliers/real scissors. This is where leatherman wins big time.
3. Most SAKs, esp. smaller models, feel kinda flimsy and cheap in the hand. The blades are very thin.

1. True, but they get the job done.
2. They have pliers for light duty, but true, no big pliers.
3. True, but it is important to recognize that they are not as flimsy as they look! ;) The screwdriver on my classic has been torqued HARD without loosening it.

If thats why you hate SAK's then it's hard to argue with you. I love them though for the fact that they are knives that do more. You dislike them for the fact they aren't multitools with a great blade, simply a great blade with some tools.

By the way...it's only illegal when they catch you! Be smart and don't get caught and have a good time! :)

-Kevin

I hate SAK's. They are ugly. They have no-name steel. they are just plain boring. My Griptilian is way more cool. My Leatherman Wave is better is I need tools. It even opens with one hand. But the biggest thing is their ugliness. I like nice looking knives. I dare anyone to say that thir SAK is nicer than something like a William Henry, or even a Spyderco.

Thor

Last year I spent three weeks on the appalacian trail in northern ga, sc. I decided to take a victorinox instead of a leatherman because of the weight. In the beginning I was patting myself on the back because the weight difference was indeed noticeable after 10 miles on the trail. The Sak did fine cutting open ramen noodles and the toothpick came in very handy. Then one day a screw on my stove got stuck (maybe a little corrosion, nothing major) As I was trying to back out the screw with the sak, the whole left side of the handle pulled away from the right side! Not the scales, the entire handle. This made every tool in the blasted thing loose. Later that night my girlfriend was whittling a digging stick (for the toilet) and the blade came down and gave her a nasty cut( Since the blame knife was broken, the blade had virtually no tension when open. To make matters worse, when I returned the knife to the dealer, he called his distributor and was told that the warranty would not cover the knife. Needless to say, they may be neat in a Mcguyverish type of way around the office or the house, but I will NEVER trust one out on the trail, and many people I have met hiking have similar horror stories. They should specifically state that their knives are not for rugged outdoor use. Because believe me, they are not. (No wonder the swiss are neutral...what army would want to go into battle with that knife)

I believe SAKS are the most confiscated knives in the world. That fact alone testifies to its popularity.

The Swiss Army Knife is one of those knives that started me on the road to knife collecting. It is a simple and yet elegant multitool that has and continues to make many tasks easier and has surely saved many lives in the past.

Now, let's all stand up and salute the SAK. Without it, most of us probably won't be sitting around here today, debating about it. :D ;) :)

A bit of a tangent but I wonder how many of us rely exclusively on an SAK or a multitool, and how many of use seem to require a combination of both. I'm among the latter personally.

For instance when trying to fix a broken calculator the little pliers in my Cybertool are a lot more useful than the jaws of my Supertool, but conversely I can tighten/loosen a nut with my Leatherman much more easily than I can with my SAK. The SAK makes a better eating implement but the Supertool cuts wire better. If I get a splinter the SAK is a lifesaver and the Leatherman is useless but if I need to rip carpet the SAK doesn't quite do it for me. I can sign my name with my SAK in a pinch but my Leatherman can bend sheet metal with relative ease.

I find I often need two tools at the same time, for instance a Phillips head screwdriver and a knife, and I often need the flexibility this setup offers.

I can see those of us in the urban jungle might rely more on an SAK and those of us out in the country might prefer their multitools; I know when I lived in a rural area I used my multitool more than my SAK and now that I've moved to a big city it's just the opposite.

Thus I understand some people might like their SAK or their multitool better but I can't understand how anyone relies exclusively on one or the other.

I'll toss in a few words on the subject. As an avid outdoorsman, I love the SAK. The blade is virtually impossible to rust, has a thin cutting edge and a no-nonsense shape. The blade is designed for people who value and understand how to use a knife. The saw simply rocks. So do the openers and awl. I would never be caught outdoors without a Vic SAK.

With that said, I'm do prefer a Leatherman style tool for urban use. The screwdrivers are obviously more plentiful on a Leatherman, and stronger. The urban world of ziplock bags and twist tops has made the SAK much less meaningful in society.

I have never used a pair of scissors on a SAK or any multitool that I thought was worth carrying. The all stink.

In the end, the SAK is a knife with extra useful features. The Leatherman is a tool that happens to have a knife. If you really need the knife, get a SAK. If you want the tools most of all, get a Leatherman.

jokrswylde - Try a Victorinox, instead of a cheap Chinese rip-off. The Victorinox is far more robust, and also happens to have a warranty that would easily cover your use.

To everybody - The more modern SAKs are worth looking at. Some even have a lock on the blade. And if you want indestructible scales, the eco-line of SAKS (oddly enough) and locking models have VERY tough and grippy nylon scales. Much better than the traditional cellidor (sp?) scales.

As far as steel goes, the Vic steel seems to be very much like Buck 420HC. Not amazing edge holding, but easy to sharpen and sufficiently tough.

If I had to choose a single knife to own for the rest of my days (including my Doziers, Marbles and Spydies), I’d take a SAK in a heartbeat.

Gotta love 'em :)

219sak-colors-700-med.jpg

I guess I hate them though because I cant seem to get enough of them. May have to have my wife get a couple more jobs :D

It was a victorinox ( I think I mentioned that in the original post) and the rep stated that the warranty might cover a repair if I cared to send it in. It was not worth the shipping to me at this point, so the dealer gave me a store credit for the knife since he had originally recommended it to me. More power to you if you count on yours to hold up, but for me personally, I would rather be caned in downtown singapore than ever have to look at a sak ever again...I would rather suffer 100 lashes with the cat o' nine tails...er, you get the point. I hate 'em

Back