Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

I'll chime in and just say that they have their place for all of the reasons folks have listed here and many more. There's definitely a beauty and a craftsmanship to well made Traditionals and like any art form, if people enjoy them, what's the big deal? The initial inference of your post was along the lines of "I can't believe people still buy these, because I PERSONALLY do not like them. They should all go away!"

It really smacks of "But, why do you neeed"ism. You should stop that, because it's a bad look. Let folks enjoy what they enjoy. Me? I personally own and enjoy knives of all types.

Sadly as an organization the Boy Scouts seem to have completely lost their way in many different ways
That's BHA not BSA. Couldn't possibly be a more traditionally minded group of people out there- we're actually doing something in the real world and not just complaining in the virtual world about the problems the modern word has brought to bear on our wild places.

Probably the product of an age when you're less hurried, do more thinking than acting and more sitting than running:D But the fact is, everytime I use a friction folder I feel urged to concentrate on what I'm doing. No hasty cutting or random movements. I still like a friction folder to have a Piemont lever. Your grip acts as the lock and it alerts you when the blade wants to close. Downside is the big levers are really annoying in the pocket (Svord Peasant ! Very safe but a pain in the pocket...). For example, of these two, I prefer the upper one. As a watch pocket knife.
OSAS4bM.jpg

Herisson, That wood handle beauty blows me away!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If it becomes a burden to you, I have an address you can send it to.;)
:D

I know... I bought it just for the insanely beautiful handle (horse chestnut burl scales). It's very small, blade hardly over 2" (2" 1/3) but featherlight and razorsharp. If it ever becomes a burden to me, I promise it will be sent to you. Don't hold your breath, though. I like even the nice stuff I don't use often...

They make great secondary knives to loan out to people, and are good for "dressier" occasions. I highly recommend the Cold Steel pictured, S35VN and full carbon handles for $50? how could you go wrong? Also the Maserin serves as my lunchbox knife at work since it's pretty much steak knife sized and shaped.
74405066_2678733588816285_8759499174996606976_o.jpg

That Maserin is pretty even though it is a rather plain looking knife.
I agree, however the think I like most about my slipjoints, is they can all be disassembled and maintained properly, which is a reason why I don't buy alot of slipjoints. Also the reason I havent picked up one of the Buck 110/112 Slim.

That's BHA not BSA. Couldn't possibly be a more traditionally minded group of people out there- we're actually doing something in the real world and not just complaining in the virtual world about the problems the modern word has brought to bear on our wild places.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

They make great secondary knives to loan out to people, and are good for "dressier" occasions. I highly recommend the Cold Steel pictured, S35VN and full carbon handles for $50? how could you go wrong? Also the Maserin serves as my lunchbox knife at work since it's pretty much steak knife sized and shaped.
74405066_2678733588816285_8759499174996606976_o.jpg
Wow, wish my lunchbox came with steak...

I went from moderns (high end production and customs) to traditionals because I'm never going to use a folding knife in a way that requires a lock or needs to "drop shut." Doubt many here do? I have a Spyderco if I need one. People like different things. I like the materials used and the craft required to make classic knives. If I were serving in the military or a first responder I'd carry a modern one hand opener but since my knives are primarily letter openers I'll probably keep collecting traditional slipjoints because to me they're way more involved.

Here's a recent buy for me. This does have a lock but IMO way cooler than any reate or crk or custom flipper on bearings I ever owned... No torx and requires two hands to operate, homie.

Attachments

• IMG_20191205_192448.jpg
    IMG_20191205_192448.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191205_192625.jpg
    IMG_20191205_192625.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 20
I went from moderns (high end production and customs) to traditionals because I'm never going to use a folding knife in a way that requires a lock or needs to "drop shut." Doubt many here do? I have a Spyderco if I need one. People like different things. I like the materials used and the craft required to make classic knives. If I were serving in the military or a first responder I'd carry a modern one hand opener but since my knives are primarily letter openers I'll probably keep collecting traditional slipjoints because to me they're way more involved.

Here's a recent buy for me. This does have a lock but IMO way cooler than any reate or crk or custom flipper on bearings I ever owned... No torx and requires two hands to operate, homie.

Nice knife! Love me a tail lock!! Who made that one if you dont mind me asking?

I guess you're being funny.

I just bought a couple of Rough Rider Peanuts to give away for Christmas.

rough rider.jpg

Easy to carry and very useful.

I have always liked slipjoints since I got my first one at the age of nine. Like others have said, they don't scare non-knife people.

Back