1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  4. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Who is liable when knife stolen by USPS -- dispute with user Kaw10e

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by dyavorsky, Jul 11, 2019.

1. KELAMA

KELAMA

Jun 28, 2013
    ^ You've got to be freaking kidding me! What could possibly go wrong.....???

FWIW: In all of my ++++ transactions I've had here, I've had only one knife go missing; & guess what it was shipped in? Surprise, a USPS plastic envelope. In my case, the USPS stamped the envelope with a red "no contents inside" stamp. It was shipped from a very reputable member here. I contacted him later that evening, & he offered to reimburse me immediately. I told him to hold off...went in & checked with my local USPS the next day...& low & behold, they found my Protech TR-4, tightly sealed up inside another plastic enveloped which was balled up & looked like a big softball.

^ You forgot the "USPS First Class" part...any way he can make an extra buck or two...on his flip.
    Anyone who would ship a knife inside an envelope, isn't very bright to begin with....so it's no surprise, that this person didn't have the decency to come here & present his side.....

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

^ +1

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm more of a reader, too! I only read the 1st & last pages here...my advice to you: just ignore any of the naysayer's here- they're not worth your time. You are 100% in the right here, Dyavorsky!

Ship a knife in a brown envelope, no insurance, First Class...& no tape. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Massive failure, in every regard!

2. Pete1977

Pete1977 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2002
    I have been a member of BFC since about 2002 and only have about 2500 posts. I read much more here than I post. In the past i have bought much more than I have sold and much of my selling was done long before iTrader was instituted.

That being said, it has always been the norm at bladeforums for the seller to be responsible for getting the knife to the buyer. Until the knife is in your possession the deal is not done. The seller owes you money, his silence speaks volumes and he deserves to be banned and have his info posted to prevent him from doing this to others.

Batleship, Triton, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  3. TOMBSTONE

TOMBSTONE

Oct 31, 1998
    In the meantime thankfully we have an ignore feature

Pete1977 and woodysone like this.
  4. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    I tape the crap out of my packages for this reason.

Just ask anyone who ever bought from me:D.

And a empty tube falls on the seller.

Just ask Paypal..... Refund.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Vaporstang and WValtakis like this.
  5. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    @dyavorsky, any word back from PayPal?

(...or dis I miss that above?)

6. dyavorsky

dyavorsky Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Just this moment I was able to get resolution from PayPal in my favor. Doing so required me to put the whole story in writing, provide photos of the packaging, and to file an official claim with the USPIS (post office inspector). It also took many more calls to PayPal's dispute resolution center than I thought would be necessary -- but in the end, it worked out.

For those who want to ignore the seller, his BF name is Kaw10e and his real name is Kyle White from Florida. His PayPal lists him as Kyle's Trading Outpost. I do not feel comfortable sharing his email address or any more details about his personal address.

I want to emphasize that this was not a shady transaction and it was not direct theft from the seller (or -- if you would call it theft -- it was more like the manslaughter version of theft rather than the murder version). All of my dealings with the seller were positive until we had the unfortunate incident of theft by (most likely) a USPS employee. Yes, seller should have packaged the product more securely or purchased insurance, and it would have been nice of him to resolve the issue himself rather than making me go through PayPal to get the resolution.

As a result, I will now be leaving my first negative feedback mark on BladeForums, but I think seller has earned it.

I appreciate all of the conversation and opinions that this community has provided on this thread. It was reassuring to me as I went through the process, and I learned a few things along the way.

Thanks again,
    -Dan

EDIT: adding the original thread for the sale, just because I don't think it's linked anywhere in this thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gec-93-royal-blue-camel-bone.1670744/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Pete1977

Pete1977 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2002
    It is too bad that it had to come to this and that @Kaw10e sold his reputation for a couple hundred dollars.

I am glad you got your money back, even with the hassle @dyavorsky. You seem like a good honest member and I would not hesitate to do business with you.

ETA: @Kaw10e was on Bfc sunday and by now must be fully aware of this thread. His refusal to even address this issue speaks volumes.

KELAMA, tyyreaun, palonej and 4 others like this.
  8. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’ll say the following about Kaw10e’s reputation on BFC:

[​IMG]

9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    You might want to adjust the thread title slightly to include the sellers user name. That way someone checking on him before a sale will immediately realize the thread is about him.

10. Gastonknife

Gastonknife

Dec 15, 2008
    Good call on adding the name.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. KELAMA

KELAMA

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm really glad, to be reading this very positive resolution update on your behalf, Dan. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Your case for some reason, popped back into my mind today...& I logged in, just to check up on a possible (hopeful), update/outcome.
    TGIF! :)

RULE #2 (right after "ALWAYS USE PAYPAL GOODS), to all member's on this forum, planning on shipping a "KNIFE:"

Under (or in) no circumstances:
    EVER, use an envelope, to ship a KNIFE!!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

dyavorsky and WValtakis like this.
  12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with using First Class, assuming you used a box, good packing, plenty of tape, and insurance. Shipping from here, First Class is usually just as fast, and sometimes faster than Priority.

13. Victorian Squid

Victorian Squid Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2017
    Common sense. Take a small flat rate box, close it with that little sticker tab, then dance on it. Watch the edges pop open. That should give most people a clue that rely simply on the clever folding and a bit of adhesive. Terrible, horrible things happen to packages, and the smaller the package the better the chances. Tape is cheap.

I hate selling knives because the shipping part is what's scary. USPS happily takes your money for overpriced insurance, but just try getting it back. They want more proof about the value of that item than it's possible to provide. What I always make sure of is that the carrier gets a signature. I simply won't sell to anybody who says "I can't be there/get to post office if I miss it". I want to know that the person I sent it to got it, and the carrier didn't drop it at the wrong address or stuck it in the mailbox only for it to get stolen. UPS isn't much better - a friend who's a maker always sends UPS insured. He sent $30k with of knives to a reseller, and UPS dropped it at a car wash a block away! Luckily, the car wash owners knew the reseller, and he was reunited with the package. WTAF?

Still, when selling I always double insure (so not just the buyer gets payed, but so do I!) and it's always express. Doesn't matter if it's a $50 or a $1500 knife. Always send express, because tracking. First class disappears, it disappears. As much as I don't like USPS, they've never once lost a package, where UPS has done some really weird stuff with me.

Bottom line, if I sell a knife you get a tracking number (why I ask for email address) and I check to make sure that package in in the buyers hands once USPS shows it's delivered. For my protection as much as the buyer. I've made some awesome friends selling knives, and aim to keep it that way.

I'm glad the OP got out of this in one piece - sadly there's a lot of scam artists that make their way here. It's a shame he had to go through this, and I hope further adventures go smoother!

14. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    What do you mean "double insure" ?-nsure for twice as much ?
    Buyer is covered by the initial payment being refunded, and insurance is to cover you. USPS is only going to cover the provable value of the knife. If you are over insuring you are just throwing away money
    but maybe I misunderstood

Triton likes this.
  15. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    I've filed 1 claim with USPS- I used the PayPal Receipt as the value= What I was paid for the item.

craytab, JD Mandrell and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  16. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I agree with much of what you said but the above simply isn't true.

JD Mandrell likes this.