Who knows of a folder like this?

Hi all, off-and-on lurker, 1st time poster.

I have been struggling for years to find an off the shelf edc folder that meets my specifications. I figured I'd ask all of you with greater knife knowledge in case you know of one:
I'm looking for a 3" folder with 1-handed opening (doesn't have to have "assist" but has to easily open with 1 hand), that is THIN when sitting in my pocket. Need an orange handle with some grip/texture and single (non-serrated) edge. Prefer a drop point but could live with a tanto.

I know, I'm super picky. Ones I've found so far that come close:
1. Kershaw Leek (thin profile, right length, orange, but grip is smooth and blade shape is so thin at the point it breaks easily)
2. CRKT M16 3" version (thin enough profile though not as good as Leek: cant find an orange-handled one anywhere. Plus imo blade quality seemed worse)

I don't need top shelf but if a more expensive manufacturer (e.g. Benchmade) made one that fit the bill I'd buy it.

Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance for your help!
-Fattis

PS sorry if this post is in the wrong forum I read rules but couldn't find the "Good Bad Ugly" forum referenced for "need advice" posts, and general looked like the next best option.

Spyderco Delica or Chaparral?
They are both one-hand opening and thin.
You may be able to get orange custom scales down the road.

ZKYvl41.jpg

Spyderco Delica 4

The Delica is a grippy Thin lightweight slicer and it makes a EDC knife. Mine has been through the wash 2 times because I forget that it's in my pocket :oops:.

Check out the Benchmade custom shop, you can make a mini Griptillian or Barrage to your specifications for around $130 depending on the steel you choose.

If you're flexible on the orange handle, BHQ has a yellow mini Griptillian for under $100.

ETA: BHQ has a feature where you can filter all folding knives by color and blade length, there's about 6 pages of orange knives with 2-3 inch blades.

CRKT M16 does make an orange one. But I'd spend a few more dollars and get the Sypderco Delica 4.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--CRKT-Carson-M16-14ZEK-Emergency--8898

A few other options from Bestech
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bestech-Knives-Beluga-Liner-Lock--89539
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bestech-Knives-Torpedo-Liner-Lock--89552

Depending on what knife you choose, you can probably find aftermarket orange G10 scales to buy. But that can easily double the cost.

The thinnest knife would be a frame lock too btw.

Can't go past a delica
Other option might be an EKA, have plenty of variety.
Eka 8 comes in orange 3 blade.
Eka 9 in orange dual studs. I belive it come with combinded ferro fod & sharperner.
Good luck
Mitch

O.P.— this is probably the best place for “advice on next knife” type posts, GBU is generally for reviewing transactions between members or dealers.

As for your orange knife, the delica would be my top recommendation. You can also find lots of Spyderco exclusives/sprints that come with orange scales, expect to pay more for them. If it were me, I’d probably get the native salt and rit dye it orange, but that’s just because I want (but definitely don’t need) a salt series knife. Good luck with your search.

Wow, thanks so much for the responses everyone! Appreciate all your insights - sounds like the Spyderco delica is a majority favorite for what I'm looking for, I'll look through the other recommendations too.

PS my budget is <$150 which the delica fits in nicely

Delica definitely makes the list for me based on your original post my only concern is the tip since you had some tip issues with another knife and the Delica is a thin blade. I will get to looking into some other good options and try and share those.

Kershawguy has the Kershaw Dividend in your color.

KOA has the awesome featherlight in your color.

Kizer sunburst and Fallkniven makes an orange knife to name a few!

Kershawguy has the Kershaw Dividend in your color.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. Great price for a Made in the USA piece too.

If you prefer a drop point, the KaBar Dozier Folding Hunter comes in orange, and is right at 3 inches.

Buck 722 Spitfire is available in orange, a couple of sizes of that one I think.

I'm not a Spyderco guy at all, but I do say that the Delica is pound for pound one of the best EDCs out there.

(And that orange Spyderco Roadie is kinda cool too, I must grudgingly admit)

Here are list of options I can find

SK Blades Inferno the blade is 3.5"
Buck Mini Spitfire slightly under 3"
Buck Spitfire slightly over 3" and if you want to get fancy customize one
Spyderco Delica 4
Kizer Sunburst another 3.5"

Over budget but you may want to look at
LionSteel SR-22 not a thin knife but a good knife
Viper Hinderer Storm not exactly thin but shouldn't be too much
LionSteel TRE thinner than the SR22 and just as solid but more expensive
Viper Kyomi this might be my top choice and of the over budget it might be the least so

It's been discontinued for a while but you still might be able to find a gently used one: Knifecenter's orange Positron.
timthumb.php

Back