Who Remembers These?

Oh man does that bring back memories!

They used to have them for sale in the five and dime stores on a stand up cardboard display up by the cash register so you could pick one up as you paid and left the store. I remember that abut every second or third person in the late 1950's had one on the keychain. It may have been the most popular keychain pen knife in the late '50's.

As for actual use, they worked surprisingly well. The sheep foot blade was ground in an almost scandi grind and could be honed on the bottom of a coffee mug. The screw driver worked, as did the bottle opener. Anywhere some cold brews were being popped, one of these was sure to be seen. The nail file was a. bit crude but worked, and the little hook think that was supposed to be a nail cleaner was a great knot untangler. They were light weight, very low cost, and did what needed to be done. Whats not to like?

The people that are non knife people today but buy SAK classics because they realize they need something, but don't want to be bothered with anything big or expensive, are the same kind of people that bought these Trim keychain multitools.

I know for a fact my Dad has a couple around. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing them on a cardboard display for sale in a store when I was a kid.

I have my grandfathers from when he carried it on his keychain. I may have to clip mine on my keys and carry it for a few days. Are these things even made anymore??

I have my grandfathers from when he carried it on his keychain. I may have to clip mine on my keys and carry it for a few days. Are these things even made anymore??

No, I think they've been long gone now, along with rotary phones, wind up watches, and fountain pens. But I do really believe that the Victorinox classic has taken its place. I have a small collection of classics with advertising logos on scales from everything from a drug company, Toyota automobiles, an oil drilling rig equipment company, and a banking institution. They were all give aways when opening an account, or buying a car.

Out in the wild, I see a lot of classics on keyring of "Older people" at stores or other places where a keyring is exposed.

I fondly remember gentlemen who carried pen knives and Sears & Roebuck 4-way pocket screwdrivers. It wasn't just the tools, these were renaissance men who could do a lot with very little.

My dad was one of those old depression era/WW2 guys who did just that. He carried a Case peanut for his pocket knife, and has a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver and a P-38. I watched him fix a a lot of stuff with that outfit, and some black electrical tape( the duct tape of his era) sometimes a paper clip. They knew how to do a lot with very little.

Back