Who Remembers These?

Those things often came with little ball-chain lanyards with a ball chain clasp for attaching it to your keys. You will sometimes still see finger nail clippers being sold with those same little ball chains, but I think it's becoming less common.

Last edited:
Jackknife, I see what you mean. Vintage Sears 4 way keychain screwdrivers for $10. How wide and thick is yours? I see some cheap copies on Ebay that are ~1 1/4" diameter. They're stamped with Cole on one side, and a shamrock on the other. Isn't Cole a key company? The tips look somewhat rounded, but I have a belt sander so I could dress them. In fact I was thinking about grinding two of them to approximate the angles of #1 and #2 Phillips screws.
There's really no functional difference, but the drivers on the Sears version are wider.
20230907_172058.jpg
That's probably better if you want to turn them into a phillips.

personally I carry the Victorinox quattro in my pocket organizer and like it much more, it's smaller but I like the driver tips better and the steel is much better in my opinion.
Uses may vary but I often use mine for adjusting iron sight screws and the parallel ground flat blade tips are more ideal for this.
20230907_172418.jpg
They're available fairly cheap as a replacement part for the swiss cards,I don't know exactly how much they cost though because I have mine from an old swiss card that broke.

There's really no functional difference, but the drivers on the Sears version are wider.
View attachment 2313468
That's probably better if you want to turn them into a phillips.

personally I carry the Victorinox quattro in my pocket organizer and like it much more, it's smaller but I like the driver tips better and the steel is much better in my opinion.
Uses may vary but I often use mine for adjusting iron sight screws and the parallel ground flat blade tips are more ideal for this.
View attachment 2313476
They're available fairly cheap as a replacement part for the swiss cards,I don't know exactly how much they cost though because I have mine from an old swiss card that broke.

I bought a few of the Victorinox quarttro's for family from Optics Planet, and as of a few years ago, they were something like 3 bucks apiece.

YRvzZuK.jpg
The wear and tear on that looks so good!

The wear and tear on that looks so good!
It's pretty beat up. It was on my key chain for probably 10-15 years. Job I had pretty much forbid any type of knife carry. Actually used it pretty often. It had a tendency to get turned in my pocket occasionally though. Could feel it poking at you.

It's pretty beat up. It was on my key chain for probably 10-15 years. Job I had pretty much forbid any type of knife carry. Actually used it pretty often. It had a tendency to get turned in my pocket occasionally though. Could feel it poking at you.
I can imagine. Would be pretty neat for coin pocket but could chew through that.

I’ve had a few of those small advertising multi tool gadgets when I was a kid. We got them from the feed store or gas stations and other businesses as a gift for customers. They usually weren’t made for heavy use and kinda cheap so they didn’t last long but for light duty stuff they were kinda handy to keep in the glove box or on a key ring. I think I still have one or two in storage boxes somewhere. Mementos of business places long gone now.

I completely forgot about those little knives and the 4 way screw drivers. They were such a common thing when I was a kid. I haven’t seen one in ages.

My EDC is a Bassett Trim Trio, a Powerful Pete 4 way screwdriver, P38 can opener and an LED mini flashlight on a keychain. These items, a Bic min lighter and a mini ballpoint pen fit in a coin purse and are all I need in the city.

My EDC is a Bassett Trim Trio, a Powerful Pete 4 way screwdriver, P38 can opener and an LED mini flashlight on a keychain. These items, a Bic min lighter and a mini ballpoint pen fit in a coin purse and are all I need in the city.

Our fathers and grandfathers carrying those same items were EDC'ing long before the youtube gurus were born, and coined there phrase "EDC".

Well, they didn't have mini LED lights, but they had the Everready pen light!

Last edited:
The Star Trek Tracer Gun. I
I do, but the spring broke sometime in the 90s. It's not built to be fixed so it's just on display.
The Star Trek Tracer Gun. I have many happy childhood memories of playing with this toy.

I know for a fact my Dad has a couple around. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing them on a cardboard display for sale in a store when I was a kid.
I actually have one of the cardboard displays containing five clean Trim Trios. I got on eBay for cheaper than it would have been to buy the knives individually.

I actually have one of the cardboard displays containing five clean Trim Trios. I got on eBay for cheaper than it would have been to buy the knives individually.

You're very lucky, these are great nostalgia items!

Seeing them takes me back to a more simple time, before the "EDC" thing became an obsession, and a pocket knife was just something the all men carried on them if they had pants on. (And a lot of women had them in purses.) Some kind of little pocket knife, some kind of pocket/keychain screw driver, maybe some black electrical tape (the duct tape of the era) wrapped around an old card or pencil stub that was used to take notes. The short pencil stub was everywhere, like a golf pencil, and used on whatever scrap of paper was in the wallet. The tip could be scraped down for graphite, the finest dry lubricant you can use on locks and fishing reel gears.

When I was growing up, most the men were vets from WW2, and I suspect the majority of them had their old P-38 stashed in the wallet. I know my dad did, as well as my Uncle Charlie, who got his feet wet on a beach in Northern France and walked most the way to Berlin.

The Trim Trio and the like was the SAK classic of the day. It was for people who were not knife nuts, but knew that modern life made a small sharp edge a needed thing on a daily basis. Packages didn't have a 'tear here' tab, but arrived wrapped in a heavy brown paper, that was in turn sealed with that heavy town packing tape that was put on wet and red like an iron brand. Or the [acakge was wrapped in white twine that you needed a knife to cut and unwrap said package. Any small keychain knife would cut through the wrapping if it was sharp. And then there was pencils to sharpen. This was before the ball point pen explosion that made ball points more plentiful than the pencil. The cheap ball point pen did for pencils what the cell phone did for the home land line. The old fountain pens leaked, went dry, so everyone just carried a pencil.

Times and technology have changed what we carry now, but somehow our grandfathers did very well with what they had. A simpler and maybe better time.

Back