Who Would Be Interested In Doing A Collaboration Classic Hunter With Me??

Sorry, I've tried to keep up here, but I've been juggling with putting some bolsters on a knife and cleaning for guests tonight.

I did a few rough (say verrry rough)sketches. Nothing is perfectly up to scale, but I wanted to toss a couple of ideas out there - so I drew these up real quick. The first is pretty basic drop-point, the second one is a little different with a top unsharpened swedge (for sliding while skinning) and gives the posibility of two different handle materials so there can be something wood in the front section to tone down the "blueness" of the knife. The third one is a basic blade with another two handle-type options and liners. It also gives us the option to find an engraver (if there is one willing to hop in on this project) Let me know -- don't be afraid to tell me they suck, I got plenty of other designs I can draw up. Let me know which direction you're looking to go. :D

Attachments

• designs1.jpg
    designs1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 150
Michael I like the 2nd one
Roger I love working
Ivory will do if you'd like :D

edited to add
I'm not too sure about wood with Ivory:confused:
if it going to be used?

Dan. Done deal. What do think about bolster material. Damascus??

EDIT: Dan, I don't expect you to do the bolsters. That's too much on one of the team. However, I would suggest that you will be doing the fit of scales to bolster and finish of scales and bolsters. Besides, I value your opinion and wonder what you think about which bolster material(s).

THERE'S STILL ROOM FOR A COUPLE MORE MAKERS.

Roger,

I'll play - if you'd have me. I'm comfortable with the hand finishing the blade; if that's what you need Roger. I figure if everyone puts his maker's mark on there, there won't be any blade to see!;)

Handle finishing is OK too.

Guard fitting - maybe.

Bolster/slab curve fitting is OK.

Grinding - nope.

Double grind - hahahahhahahahhahahahahhaha

Steve

Steve,

Darn right. You're aboard. You are the last one. No more makers. We have enough. That's it. No more.

Steve, for now figure on you doing blade hand finish. That all may change a little pretty soon because I am now ready for a team captain to be chosen. As I stated in the beginning, I think it should be the one with greatest maker experience. Who amongst us is that?? I am working on knife number 14. Ha Ha!! As soon as we determine who is team captain I let go of the rains.

Who is it with the most knife making experience??

Cool, Roger, happy to be aboard.

BTW This probably goes without saying, but I do hand rubs on flat grinds. I know some have tools to do that with hollows, but not I.

Steve

Steve, I'm sure Dave would be happy to make a full-V grind for you if you ask him nice.;)

I expect to be assigned something else in addition to the HT I have asked for. We all should have to work some on it. But, if that's all you want me to do that's just fine.

Rlinger -- this is your baby, I vote you as el capiton. You delegate the work as you see fit. Let me know if the designs are going in the right direction. I'll be working on some more in the morning.

While my (current ;) ) total lack of knifemaking skills precludes me from being in on the REAL fun, I'd be happy to do the certificate when the time comes if you can't find anyone else to do it. I've done quite a bit of Photoshop work before.

Michael,

Okay then.

I hope Dave is still interested in doing the file work too. I'd like for the blade to be pretty much his turf as far as grinds and file work go. I also would like him, as he suggests, taper the tang.

Michael, how about you profiling the blank. Since you're drawing it up you should profile it to your specs.

Dan will be the handle chief. I will be available to him for any work he might like me do, bolsters - whatever.

Steve will be in charge of final blade finish and anything else blade related he and Dave decide on. If he does not have or like to use a buffer I can be available to help there too, if he likes.

Jay is the sheath maker.

I'll HT and work with Dan.

In addition, and I can't say who yet, we have a very possible gold plater for the blade mark and he may be talked into acid etching the damascus too. I'm talking about someone we all want on our team. I can't say yet because I have not gotten permission back in my email to do so - yet.

Pendentive/I have not spoken to yet about designing the cert.

That makes eight of us if Pendentive joins. That's enough. No more.

Now. Let's get back to damascus. Should I put up a thread asking for a piece. What suggestions do you have??

Black Mariah,

Sounds like its right down your alley. If our original choice does not join us I will gladly except your fine offer. We should know something by end of weekend. Thanks for the offer.

Roger

Roger has contacted me and wondered if I could put the names on. He really wants the marks to be gold plated. It may be possible because I am considering buying the rectifier and anode ect. to do plating. I would like to get in on the action here and do the marks (4 names on each side I think) and etch the blade if its damascus. How about light etching and hot gun bluing if it is damascus with abit of nickel? It will come out with some gold hues and dark blues and blacks. Ive even gotten a few greens with 15n20. With bluing though the entire knife must be able to dissasemble and reassemble. Easy enough if you use screws instead of pins and rivets on the bolsters and handle scales. It will be a higher end piece when done too. What do you think?

Bruce, I think what ever you think about how it screws together or pins together. We'll get started and then determinations will be made after the steel is known. Then you can specify the best way(s).

There you go boys. Do we have a team or what! Let's go high end all the way.

GUYS, I still need advise from you on what I should do about getting the damascus. We're going to need 8 1/2 inches for a full tang 4 inch blade. It's gotta be killer pretty and blade functional. I'll post a begging session on the forum. Let me know.

No problem on the ivory. I've got some killer blue (from akivory). I'll try to post some pics tomorrow (Sunday - today I guess).

Hey, no kidding - John Andrews has voluntered some stone liners.

All makers go on the blade. All material contributers are included on the cert.. OKAY?

We're going to have an MS on this blade so lets not let him down. Lord don't let me screw up my end.

Michael I like your drawings. No 1 appeals to me the most. I'm afraid whoever was trying to fit the subhilt on a tapered tang would find himself rather frustrated...at least I would! I know it can be done because I've seen it, but sure would not want to try it.

Michael since I would like to stick with a flat grind on this, would you keep that in mind as you work on further drawings? Your grind lines look beautiful but would not lend themselves to flat grinding very well. I'd like for Steve to do a bangup finish on this baby too!

I'm not sure at what point we'll need to thread the holes for the bolsters and scales but one thing to keep in mind is trying to do that on a tapered tang. I usually drill the tang before I taper it to make sure the holes are perpendicular to the blade; it's much harder to do after tapering the blade, believe me...

Roger, you got it! 1/16 spacers, unless you guys decide differently. I'll see my stone guy today and toss some ideas around with him and pass them along to you. Thanks, Roger! Edited to add, bolsters if you prefer, but I am in doubt about stone bolsters durability if dropped. You mentioned liners, also, and it would be a done deal, if that's what you decide to use.

Hello Fellow Knifemakers,

This is going to be a great project!!
I hope everthing runs smoothly, and we have a good time looking over each others "Work".

I just droped an E-mail to Roger, and thought I's post the same info here, about what to do with the finished knife. How about donating it to a disabled or terminally ill hunter, that is going on a special hunt, that has been provided by the United Special Sportsmen Alliance. They donate about 150 hunting and fishing trips a year. Foundations like "Make A Wish" used to offer hunting trips, but they were hounded out of that type of gift by the Non-Hunters in Hollywood. You can read more about the USSA and it's founder Brigid O'Donoghue, on the About.com hunting site, run by one of my knife field testers, Russ Chastain. http://hunting.about.com/library/weekly/aa_ussa_a.htm

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an up close and personnel look, at all you knifemaker's workmanship, when I build the sheath for this puppy. Do you guys think we can get it all done before the start of the fall hunting season in November?? I'd like to see who ever gets the knife have a chance to use it right away.

Best Regards,
Jay Maines

screw together sounds great no prob here.
maybe a mokume Guard/bolsters??
who ever does these,, will have to be able to drill and tap
them also.
a thought
hand finishing the blade maybe negated by the Etching??
diff (quench) heat treat then temper is a must I think..

Graymaker,

I'm afraid that when it comes to etching and damascus I've no clue. I'll take orders from anybody. I can hand finish down to 800. If someone wants to etch or buff after that I'm fine.

Would it go like this?:

Michael profiling
Dave for grind thru 220/filework
Roger heattreat
Steve 220 thru 800
then etch? or back to Roger for buffing?
then...

Steve

I'm going to work some more on some designs. I'll make it more conducive to flat grinding, and include something for the spacers to be used -- and that will work with a tapered tang. :D Dave, the "sub-hilt" guard could work with the blade, but they would have to be treated as bolsters instead of a fitted guard.

BTW -- I'm away from my e-mail until monday so PM me if you need to get in touch with me personally.

It's great that so many people are willing to put in their time and money to do something like this.

A couple more to look at: (sorry, the pic's a little blurry.)

Attachments

• designs2.jpg
    designs2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 128
Back