Whose got the best Khukri injury?- WARNING GRAPHIC!

Obviously with a title like that you can probably guess why I'm asking, because I'm hoping I'm not the only one who whose damn near cut off a limb, :eek:.

First of all I'd like to say that yes I did read the thread about how to properly use a Khukri, and I've also already chopped down a 30 ft. sweet gum tree. So how bad can chopping down a 8 ft. trash tree in my alley be right?

Mistake # 1.....Sunday afternoon, I just woke up, maybe 30 minuets and decided to go hack down this bush before it got too hot....which of course here in Texas it was already 100 degrees.

Mistake #2..... shorts and flip flops with a 18 inch Khuk, well I know better but that's how oblivious I was to what could and would happen.

Mistake # 3.....I was swinging from an idiotic angle with no regard for safety....I can honestly say that I got what was coming to me.

Ok this bush was intertwined with my chain link fence and I was chopping the base of the shrub at the fence when on maybe the 10th swing the blade hit the chain link fence and ricochet into my right leg.

I looked down and said oh shit, couldn't believe what I was looking at, and made a mad dash to the house, grabbed the cell phone, called 911 and waited on the porch for the ambulance while putting pressure on the wound with a towel, I honestly didn't think it was going to stop bleeding.
Ambulance got there in about 5 minutes. They got me bandaged up and I drove myself 1 mile to the hospital to get sowed up with 3 sutures and eight staples. I couldn't afford an 800.00 ambulance ride for 1 mile, been there done that.

Funny thing is, it really never hurt, such a good clean cut, I love my Khuk, and now I have such a tremendous amount of respect for it, I believe this will turn out to be a blessing for me because my sense of awareness when I pick up my YVCS now is as high as it will ever get.

I hope my experience helps someone out there to not be as lackadaisical as I was and to be safe....I know most of you guys already are.

Has anyone else had a notable injury from their blade?

I KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE THINKING........WHERE"S THE PICS? WELL HERE YA GO.......NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

My YVCS
yvsaycskuhkri004.jpg
[/IMG]

1025851603_photobucket_92111_.jpg

1025851603_photobucket_92110_.jpg

1025851603_photobucket_92115_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a regular in this section. I got sloppy with my Condor Parang and got myself. I was about 1/2 mile from the house in the woods near the base of "heart attack hill".Fortunately I had a first aid kit in my pack, applied a pressure dressing,called the wife to prepare her for incoming wounded and cut a walking stick/cane and "hobbled" home. At the ER I ended up with 10 staples and 1 stitch on the side of my left knee. I ended up cutting into the quad which is slowly getting better.
1ywajd.jpg

Last edited:
Holy smokes!!!
Hope ya heal fast!
Makes mine look like a paper cut in comparison.

I was out back rounding the corners on this stump with my extrema ratio khukuri, when it glanced off the side from a lazy swing and I caught it in the knuckle of my left hand pointer finger. I had gloves on and looked down to see blood pouring out of the cut in the glove. Quickly ran to the house, my bro got me a clean rag, wrapped it, applied pressure and soon stopped bleeding.
Healed up well and only have a small scar...got REAL lucky on that one and has made me much more aware ..

This is exactly why the SAFETY THREAD is as comprehensive as we can make it and also why we urge (bordering on demanding) everyone to read it.
We see here often what these things can do to wood. Flesh is no match for a khukuri....not at all.

I hope you heal well Iceveign!
.....or can we now call you Sliceveign? ;)

the worst survived khukuri injury i've heard of is documented HERE at ikrhs. if you are at all squeemish, or under the age of consent, DO NOT LOOK at it. if, in spite of the warning, you do look, scroll down to see what he looks like after healing. remarkable result.

Sliceveign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love it Karda, I'm gonna have to remember that, lol.

Your safety thread is well done and a must read for everyone, you guys have certainly went the extra mile, so to speak, to help insure Khuk owners safety the best you can. But unfortunately were all human and accidents are going to happen, which is why I chose to share my story. Every once in a while we all need a wake up call, I got mine:), and hopefully someone will benefit from it. Looking at some of the other incidents people have had, I actually feel quite fortunate.

I'm just glad HI Khuks are so sharp, it really made a nice clean cut, :p.

Oh man... get better soon. Seriously make sure you heal and watch for infection. Thanks for the eye opener. I'll be more careful myself.

Not to dimkinish the seriousness of this, but that cut is a LOT better than it could have been. BE CAREFUL.

Kukri injuries is one area I'll be happy to remain deficient in.

Iceveign, just learn from it:thumbup: I have a nice 1 & 1/2" long scar on the front of my right shin that could have turned out a lot like yours when my M43 introduced itself:eek: The first thing I tell anybody who picks up one of my Khukuri's " Make absolutely sure that NO PART of your or my body is in the potential path of the swing."

IceVeign, looks like you will be featured in the current or next Safety thread, Ouch!!! I've been there, almost took of my left wrist with a 15" Ang Khola back in 2002. Was featured in the safety thread back then. :foot: Your pictures are better then mine. ;) I didn't get any till at least 2 weeks after surgery to fix the 4 tendons that got cut.

Listen to your doctors, be carefull and heal quickly!!!

Some lessons come hard. I nearly removed the end of my left thumb several years ago with a machete cutting up brush. It only took one brief moment of concentration lapse and I was on my way to the hospital. No injuries since then. Lesson learned. Hope you heal well and quickly.

My BAS bit gave me a kiss while I was shaving a small patch of hair on my leg to test the edge I put on it. For some reason I drew the blade just a tad while pulling it. Hair came off clean, along with a some skin. Nothing too bad at all. No need for a hospital visit on this one. The strange thing is, absolutely no pain at all from the cut, nothing. These things can take an edge that is for sure.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's been 14 days since this happened, I took the staples out Friday, all is well with no issues.

That bush in my alley is still there and I'm about to go get that sucker! .......I'll be using a saw this time, :D

Iceveign, thanks for posting this educational thread. It's good to periodically remind folks that these things we love and collect are not toys, and must be treated with care and respect at all times. I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Glad you posted this, it's a good reminder, especially here in Hawaii where shorts and slippers are the basic mode of attire. I hope you're back up to full speed soon.

Back