Why 10xx is not better than D2 for a bushcraft kinfe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means "as they should". Shall I define each word for you?

No, you can define how they should be, since you say you know how they should be (supposed, should, expected to be are synonyms):

How should a D2 knife be? How should a 1095 knife be?

I think it's quite obvious that 1095 is better suited. If you're serious about bush craft you'll be touching up the blade regularly anyway.

Touching up D2 regularly is like pulling teeth. I'm still wondering why HK used D2 on the turmoil, I've been dreading reprofiling the garbage factory grind...

No, you can define how they should be, since you say you know how they should be (supposed, should, expected to be are synonyms):

How should a D2 knife be? How should a 1095 knife be?

D2 was harder to sharpen and not stain resistant. For a knife steel I consider other option better for my uses. There are tougher carbon steels and other stainless steels that have qualities I like better (edge retention). For me, I don't need a steel like D2. It doesn't fill a roll I can't find a better substitute for in my experience. I don't seek it out. It worked as I expected.

My thoughts on 1095 are well documented.

Without being able to state and expectation or point to one, "as expected" is meaningless.

Only if you don't know how D2 is expected to act. If you don't know that, then I guess you haven't done any sort of proper research on the subject. If this thread is your first introduction into 1095 and D2 then I feel really sorry for you. This certainly is not how threads usually go here. You should look at some actual reviews on the subject. And in the end you will need to try both to make a choice for yourself.

Only if you don't know how D2 is expected to act. If you don't know that, then I guess you haven't done any sort of proper research on the subject. If this thread is your first introduction into 1095 and D2 then I feel really sorry for you. This certainly is not how threads usually go here. You should look at some actual reviews on the subject. And in the end you will need to try both to make a choice for yourself.

As part of my research, I asked you what to expect based on what you've read to expect. What did you read? Or where you born knowing that D2 "takes a crappy edge and holds it forever", or did you "expect" something different?

What did you expect, and where did you get your expectation? It can't be from marketing materials and expectations don't come from personal experience. So where did your expectations come from, if you wouldn't mind so terribly saying?

As part of my research, I asked you what to expect based on what you've read to expect.

Hmm...seems you are having trouble reading my posts. Go back and review what I said and your confusion will be a ll cleared up!

What did you read? Or where you born knowing that D2 "takes a crappy edge and holds it forever", or did you "expect" something different?

I've read a lot of things from people on here I know and respect. I've also had some knives in D2 and some other knives in 1095. I've used them even. Isn't it a little hyperbolic to jump to the conclusion that I was born a D2 expert?

What did you expect, and where did you get your expectation? It can't be from marketing materials and expectations don't come from personal experience. So where did your expectations come from, if you wouldn't mind so terribly saying?

I already said it!

Reviews from trusted reviews on here go miles beyond marketing slogans.

^boom. Just in case it somehow baffled you again where I have read things. Turns out it was the magical place called HERE! :thumbup:

All because I debunked a steel marketing jab we are going to do this? I think I'm done with this "argument". But please, continue arguing with yourself if you wish.

This question reveals why these discussions always end up on the same bad place. You can find the same exact questions on ski and bike forums. What makes a ski fast? What makes a bike fast?

The naive reductionist view of performance engineering is that quantitative analysis of materials or the object will produce irrefutable facts and that these facts will predict performance.

The more successful approach to performance engineering considers the user (skill, technique, physical abilities) and the context (roads ridden, snow conditions, materials cut).

While it is true that quantitative testing of materials and objects should always inform performance engineering, it is also true that it is insufficient and blind to critical aspects of the problem.

Not that any of this will stop the great internet past time of trying to bludgeon one's opponents with irrefutable facts. Carry on...

Yet one thread at almost 20 pages is not enough, so we have to beg the question and ask again and again and again. At this point, it's just about trolling. Some folks are going to be surprised when we start cleaning this place up. Don't say no one gave a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back