1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Why am I drawn to this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Nov 11, 2020.

1. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    No finer than Duane, I have been the recipient of his kindness as well:thumbsup::)

2. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I bought one of these a while back just because. I've never done anything but look at it.

(not my pic, but accurate)
    [​IMG]

glennbad, 315, Old Hunter and 2 others like this.
  3. mrknife

mrknife

May 9, 2010
    I think that's the beauty of collecting. I have a whole pile of knives and edged objects I will never legitimately be able to carry especially in nyc, but I still maintain the collection and occasionally add to it. Our love for various edged objects drives this accumulation. Take for example some one with a Bat'leth or a longsword or a katana. Practically? you will almost never use or carry them. But boy they're fun to have.

4. jmarston

jmarston

Dec 6, 2010
    I don't have a photo of mine handy but mine is the Fairbairn Sykes dagger.
    I got one maybe a year ago. Traded a Japanese made kitchen knife for it. It truly is a beautiful piece.
    My interest was sparked when I was reading a blade combat book. When the author was asked about what his perfect fighting knife design would be, he merely commented it already existed and could not be improved upon. After his description of the way it felt in hand I just had to have one.
    And yet if the day comes I need to carry it, well, thems will be dire days.

[​IMG]

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    They sure are elegant looking, lots of military knives appeal to me but most are luckily not a dime a dozen because I have zero use for most and try to limit myself to those I will carry or at least use in some way.

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I can identify with the fixed blade issue. I have a Buck 119,105, and 102, and want a 117 and a 212, but will probably never use any of them. Probably stems from my fascination with the Kabar MK II as a kid. :p I just had to have that seahorse whittler in smooth chestnut bone, but can never figure out a use for it. But they all give me pleasure just having them!

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  7. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I guess "pin up" girl knives are made to be looked at :D This celluloid hunter is hardly a practical knife :confused:
    AERIAL-1A.JPG AERIAL-1C.JPG

8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    :eek: Good lord man! I can see that lass's ankles, is that even allowed o_O

Fine looking old hunter:thumbsup:

9. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    You're drawn to it because you have hereto unknown (or unrecognized) "class" or fancy streak? :D

10. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    My blood comes from a bunch of poor sodbuster and soldiers, oh and theres a famous pirate in there somewhere too.
    If theres any class in there I ain't dug deep enough :D

afishhunter likes this.
  11. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    sooo ... you've just scratched the surface ... :)
    I figured you was/is a classy person, else you'd be single, like I.

12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I'm utterly drawn to big Bowie knives. I don't own one (exactly) - see photo. I'm a man of small stature and the impracticality of carrying a 9" or 12" blade on my belt is overwhelming and so I don't.
    Have no need for such a knife except to fondle and look at. Can't afford to collect non users and so I turn my back. There are soooooo many beautiful examples though.

I also would be over the moon to have the good luck to own a hand forged KOTANTO with lacquered cotton cord handle and saya. Another style that I could only keep on a mantel (in my case - a window sill). :( Still, I can enjoy the longing. ;)

I do have this one - a concession to the longing. The maker - Bill Siegel - calls it a Bowie/Chopper/Fighter. I figured I could carry this 9" blade baldric style in the woods and use it as a chopper, leaving aside the Bowie/Fighter aspects for someone else later. :)

Siegle-in-tree.jpg

13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I sometimes ask myself your "Why am I drawn to this?" question about almost ALL my knives. This happens almost every time I use one of my Opinels. I tell myself that a knife's function is to cut, and when I use an Opinel, I find myself thinking that few of my other knives cut as well as the Opinel.

- GT

14. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Oh I get it.
    There are knives that just plain work, forget everything else and that's what matter most.
    It could be crude and ugly but if it cut like the dickens and was reliable it wouldn't matter.

Usually in that mindset what I'm asking myself is why I payed or would pay so much more for another that doesn't perform any better.
    Of course as an enthusiast it's worth it to a degree if you're getting one that also looks really nice, but theres a limit for me.

Misplaced Hillbilly and JohnDF like this.
  15. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Gorgeous, until I saw the last 1/4'... :( Gimme a droppoint anytime...;)

16. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Yeah, that's the conclusion I reached, too. I apparently place considerable value on aesthetic features in addition to cutting ability, and that's why I'm willing to invest in other knives.

- GT

17. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    PXL_20201007_191210870_resize_20.jpg I just had to have it...