Why Choils?

Ok, that seems like it would work well. What size knife? Maybe a choil has more use on a medium sized knife than a large chopper?
My Ratmandu in particular. With my Ratweiler and TGLB they are big enough that I normally just use them to either chop legs off or I will just use my other hand to apply pressure on the spine of the blade. Chopping wings off is sketchy. Always easier to set the blade where you want it and push through.

When I use my larger blades for caping in particular I always get my finger up into that choil, *I* feel it aids control and dexterity to movement. Sharpening is a no brainier. The boss has also spoken of the times when a choil and no-choil option has been made available and the lack of sales of the later vs the former. Like littlehoot littlehoot I think many knives without a choil look off to my eye.

I personally think a knife without a choil looks stupid.

But that's just me. If you don't like them, that's fine too.
I agree. The only blades without choils that look right to me have a ricasso with a little sculpting to them. Kinds like how Buck does their fixed blade knives. And really, if you're going to do that you may as well just put a choil there.

The choil is where the serrations are supposed to be! :eek:o_O ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

When sharpening a choiless knife over time, cant you just add a choil later if you want?

"I like big choils and I don't know why, you HOG brothers can't deny. . . . . . "

I'll admit that I am not a fan of choiless knives. :confused:

Choking up for added control when doing finer work with a longer blade is a definite plus of larger choils. :thumbsup: :cool: :D

Being able to consistently resharpen the entire edge without creating a recurved edge over time because you have to stop at the bevel plunge, allows for our knives to be heavily abused for decades and still come out working and looking great! :thumbsup::cool:

So, in reality, I guess you could say that choils protect your investment and allow for higher resale after years of easy resharpening!. . . . You're welcome! :D

Let's Drink! :thumbsup:

Jerry :D

Thanks Boss! I will work on my "choking up" skillz since they are here to stay :rolleyes:. I cant wait to get my Alpha 6 and the Alpha 10 which I assume will be next because you are super smart ;). Alpha 10 just seems right.

Wow. Lotsa words on choils. Will add, thought they were strange at first. Now with use, I appreciate Jerry’s genius in their invention. Now find non-choiless knives to be odd.

For me and my needs, actually using the choil to choke up depends on blade size. However, regardless of blade size, it definitely makes sharpening easier.

On a large chopper, I’m not likely to choke up. I could take it or leave it.

On a mid-size blade, it does help create leverage by essentially changing where the “fulcrum” is, so to speak.

On a smaller EDC size blade I’m not a fan. Mostly because I cut a lot of shrink wrap at work and it always seems to bunch up and get caught in a choil, even an elf choil. It’s a little thing but it gets a little annoying throughout the day.

Just my experience. In the end, whether or not there’s a choil has never stopped me from buying a Busse (or any other knife).

the way i see it if you dont like choils dont buy em .they are perfect for choking up for fine detailing or other more control jobs .busse and kin all pretty much have em and talon hole .it makes them stand out to me personally cos its part of the brand and diff choil styles in each division i love em anyways

The choil turns myB11 from a brutal chopper into a fine ivory carver and wood featherer, the step up in controlability is unexpectedly huge.

I prefer choils. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, a large choil makes it much easier to remove a knife when it's stuck in something (gives your finger something to wrap around when pulling) especially if the handle is fairly straight.

The choils are actually one of the things that brought me to Busse knives! I have always loved a (well-implemented) finger choil on medium-large knives. When I first started checking out the bacon, I thought, “this Gary Busse guy was not only great in Lethal Weapon, he also knows what makes a knife work.”

I don't do a lot of game processing, though I have done rabbits with a tankbuster. outside of that a choil has always been helpful. I'm so used to it now that blades I have, that don't have it like the fusion huck have become a little dangerous because I feel my finger creep above the talon. :(.

Back