Why do I hate Cold Steel?

Ok, then everybody refer to knives all the time as weapons. Let's see how that works out...

Is that what I said? Or did I say that there is more nuance to that? Should we refer to alcohol at all times as an addictive drug that kills its users? We can't be this myopic. Knives are tools. Tools that can at times be used as weapons. That use is up to the end user. Rather than fighting ourselves on forums about how an axis lock mini grip is a tool but an automatic OTF is a "weapon" how about directing our efforts to educating the rest of the populace that knives can be owned for a variety of purposes and that the 99.99% of good people using them everyday should not be wrapped up into the tiny fraction that use them for unjustified violence.

We do this with cars, we do this with baseball bats, we do this with alcohol, we do this with axes, chainsaws, hammers, and thousands of other products. I own an axe to cut wood. Just because someone used it to harm someone at some time does not mean that we need to start drawing lines on how long your axe can be.

ar-15s are okay to walk around with open carry?, if so, I don't see why an axe would be more worrysome
at least axes are actually tools, like all tools, they can be used as weapons

honestly, driving a vehicle is the largest most destructive weapon short of actual explosives
and they let anyone do that ...

at the end of the day do we want to live in a society where every tool is prohibited because they could be used as weapons?

it's tantamount to saying 'we're so worried about what the 1-2% of crazy people would do with tools that we'll force the other 98% to live like cavemen'

(please note: the above point is not intended to have any political 'leaning'. Nonsense with right or left or anything else is not required to be associated with simple common sense things that most people agree with. The real 'enemy' are people who try to force it about the left or right (IMHO). Can you tell I'm a bit sick of the news yet? :/ )

Those are very hurtful words. Do you have a permit for them?

Cold Steel has had made a multitude of weapons made. I don't see why this is being shied away from. Some make better weapons than others, but for every "proof" segment that has to do with chopping rope or doing pull ups on a locked open knife, there were 3 of LT and the gang chopping hogs, meat boots, paper terrorists, cattle skulls, etc.

They have some really nice knives made for the price. Their line of larger than life folders is impressive. But I think it is a fair thing to say that CS leaned heavily on the whole weapons angle...and that's ok.
Politicans are issue... because someone calls his knife a weapon - they might ban them for all of us to even use them as tools... think about it

Politicans are issue... because someone calls his knife a weapon - they might ban them for all of us to even use them as tools... think about it

The notion is not lost on me. The idea of tip toeing around nomenclature is not a new epiphany. However, I am not going to shy away from the truth of the matter. Some of what Cold Steel sells is straight up marketed as a weapon. Thats fine. It is what it is. I simply do not care what a politician says. I'm getting cantankerous as I get older, and I'll be damned if I am going to mince words lest it get someone's political knickers in a twist. I promise this is not me tilting at some invisible windmill. Im not a hard line in the sand kind of guy. I just think we need to be honest about what something is, and life is too short for me to make sure I dont accidentally throw a politician red meat. Words do matter, but acting like good ambassadors of the hobby and contributing to advocacy groups like Knife Rights matter more when it comes to making sure we have continued access to the knives we like, imho.

Now, to be fully transparent, I am NOT considering something like a Code 4 or even an Voyager XL as a weapon first. Big knives can be big knives. But anything that was designed as a weapon, marketed as weapon, and had a video from the manufacturer using it as a weapon against a human analog is a weapon.

I did not buy a Tai Pan to carve my Thanksgiving Turkey. I didn't buy it to shiv anyone with it either, but I did buy it because it is a really cool weapon although it will see no use except for me to fondle it and slice paper from time to time. It certainly does not cause violence. However, just because I have not run it hilt deep into someone's ribs does make it any less of a weapon. Calling a Swiss Army Knife a deanimation dagger doesn't make it any more of one.

The notion is not lost on me. The idea of tip toeing around nomenclature is not a new epiphany. However, I am not going to shy away from the truth of the matter. Some of what Cold Steel sells is straight up marketed as a weapon. Thats fine. It is what it is. I simply do not care what a politician says. I'm getting cantankerous as I get older, and I'll be damned if I am going to mince words lest it get someone's political knickers in a twist. I promise this is not me tilting at some invisible windmill. Im not a hard line in the sand kind of guy. I just think we need to be honest about what something is, and life is too short for me to make sure I dont accidentally throw a politician red meat. Words do matter, but acting like good ambassadors of the hobby and contributing to advocacy groups like Knife Rights matter more when it comes to making sure we have continued access to the knives we like, imho.

Now, to be fully transparent, I am NOT considering something like a Code 4 or even an Voyager XL as a weapon first. Big knives can be big knives. But anything that was designed as a weapon, marketed as weapon, and had a video from the manufacturer using it as a weapon against a human analog is a weapon.

I did not buy a Tai Pan to carve my Thanksgiving Turkey. I didn't buy it to shiv anyone with it either, but I did buy it because it is a really cool weapon although it will see no use except for me to fondle it and slice paper from time to time. It certainly does not cause violence. However, just because I have not run it hilt deep into someone's ribs does make it any less of a weapon. Calling a Swiss Army Knife a deanimation dagger doesn't make it any more of one.

Yeah, while there are some here who disagree, I think it's hard to say something isn't a weapon when the maker says that's what it is.
Here's a product description copied straight from Spyderco's website (with my highlights):
In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be.

The Civilian has a patented reverse "S" blade that's intended to be used like an oversized claw. The tip is ground to an ultra-thin profile. Deeply curved and full at the belly, the VG-10 ground blade excels in slicing and is available fully SpyderEdged. Because of its distinctly specialized features it is not intended or designed for general utility or everyday use. Curved in all the right places for ergonomic use and retention of the knife, the handle is black G-10. A two position clip supports discreet tip-up or tip down carry on the right side. One of the most specialized CLIPITS® in the Spyderco line-up, the Civilian is available in limited quantities.​
To me, that doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

it's hard to say something isn't a weapon
No it's not !

If I buy something , and I'm the one using it , I'm the only one to determine it's use .

The law will agree , mostly .

Intention of the user / operator is the overwhelmingly most important factor .

BUT, and as much as it pains me to say so, times change. THINGS change, and not always for the better. Better get used to it...

You have that right. I have been bummed out ever since Pan Am went out of business ending any possibility of the future as envisioned in 2001 A Space Odyssey. That is how capitalism works, businesses come and go, and customer loyalty really doesn’t factor into that. We will just move on to other vendors, some of which may turn out to be far more innovated than LT could ever be.

N2s

;) Nope , just wanted to make my own .

The fighter perceives of a different reality .
Ok I see, you were agreeing with me?

The problem with this debate and the continuing one in the other thread, is that everyone seems to be defining it differently. I was making the point that anything at all can be considered a weapon. A pillow can be a weapon. That is different to making the statement "knives are weapons. Period" A knife can be a weapon, sure. But mostly they are tools, and specifically not weapons unless you make them weapons.

Ok I see, you were agreeing with me?

The problem with this debate and the continuing one in the other thread, is that everyone seems to be defining it differently. I was making the point that anything at all can be considered a weapon. A pillow can be a weapon. That is different to making the statement "knives are weapons. Period" A knife can be a weapon, sure. But mostly they are tools, and specifically not weapons unless you make them weapons.
The salient issue for me is that weapons per se aren't bad . Because that's the core problem here .

Weapons and their use are morally neutral . It's all in how they're used .

We should not have to be afraid to have things that could be called weapons .

The right of owning weapons and the skills to use them is the only historically meaningful distinction between free and equal citizen vs slave .

Reactions: JAM
The salient issue for me is that weapons per se aren't bad . Because that's the core problem here .

Weapons and their use are morally neutral . It's all in how they're used .

We should not have to be afraid to have things that could be called weapons .

The right of owning weapons and the skills to use them is the only historically meaningful distinction between free and equal citizen vs slave .
I don't disagree with any of that(well, the last sentence is grossly simplistic, but nothing I'm interested in debating), but you are way off on a tangent to anything I have said, or wanted to say. I really only replied to one post which stated that knives ARE weapons. That statement IMO is incorrect.

Back