Why do knife companies always stop producing the best of their products?

So I was just looking on eBay for a Kershaw Amphibian, and noticed probably never going to find one. Would like to replace my kershaw bootknife... crkt should always make the MUK and stop making the dragon.... sometimes I don’t get the big knife companies. I just don’t see why they always stop making the good stuff and always come out with new crap that generally sucks.

It’s the “gotta buy it before it’s gone thing” vs “some day I’ll buy one of those”

I bet there’s a ton of “bad” knives that are out of production. We don’t notice them gone because they were bad knives. Good Knives Gone is probably a comparatively small group.

It’s the circle of knife life.

So I was just looking on eBay for a Kershaw Amphibian, and noticed probably never going to find one.

A one-step Google search turns up four of these in short order.
Glad that Velitrius found one for you.

Because it stops selling. A giant segment of the knife market is selling novelty rather than hard practicality, because if we only bought practicality most of us would only have about 3 knives.
I might add.... selling for impulse buys which I enjoy by the way. If a model stops selling at a rate the manufacturer deems it needs, they discontinue it and more than likely introduce something else that is a little different and likely more expensive assuming they believe the market is there for the new model.

I think about a few Becker knife models.... some were on my favorite list (in particular the BK-15). They discontinued them. I believe because they simply were not selling the number of units that the manufacturer needs to maintain the model in their catalog.

So I was just looking on eBay for a Kershaw Amphibian, and noticed probably never going to find one. Would like to replace my kershaw bootknife... crkt should always make the MUK and stop making the dragon.... sometimes I don’t get the big knife companies. I just don’t see why they always stop making the good stuff and always come out with new crap that generally sucks.

Because no else likes what you do?

If it was the "good stuff" that everybody likes, they wouldn't discontinue it.

I would say, if one particular model of a knife is THAT good, it is silly to discotinue it.
For example, Spyderco Military is in ,,active duty“ from 1997. If it was a junk, they would throw it in a bin long time ago. But apparently it is good, so they keep making it.

I would say, if one particular model of a knife is THAT good, it is silly to discotinue it.
For example, Spyderco Military is in ,,active duty“ from 1997. If it was a junk, they would throw it in a bin long time ago. But apparently it is good, so they keep making it.
I see your military example but counter it with the domino. Lol

Here's another subset of this. People that want to see those knives still in production don't want to buy them (thus they don't sell).

They want to see it on the front page of catalog every year so that their purchase is constantly affirmed as the best choice.

You've seen these threads a bunch of times. Someone bemoans you can't get a Brand X Model Y knife; 4 members show up with 8 links on where to buy and the OP ghosts the whole thread.

If it doesn't sell no mater how much one person likes it; well it's gone.

OP:

It's very simple. The reason is because knife companies discontinue what isn't selling anymore, and try to come out with new stuff that (hopefully) will sell. That's how businesses remain in business. They cannot keep spending the money to produce a model that nobody (or not enough people) wants. They aren't purposely doing it to foil your desire to buy a certain model. Knife companies aren't in business to cater to the whims of one individual.

Knives get discontinued all the time. Some are good and some are not so good. Much of what is 'good' or 'bad' has to do with individual tastes/perceptions.

Jim

There's one available on the PIF thread, you should check it out. You can claim it in the thread and just need to offer up something of similar value. It's a pretty fun thread. If you are new it would make sense to maybe offer something and have it get sent first. Before receiving the Amphibian.

Edit: here's the thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ing-this-again.1582646/page-185#post-18831644

Last edited:
Maybe this kind of thing is a good reason to buy a second knife when they are available if you feel the knife is so great and desirable. In general for me, there almost always is a new model that attract my knife buying urges. But I do own a couple duplicates.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Buck stopped making the 110, Spyderco stopped making the Delica, and Benchmade stopped making the Griptilian.

Back