• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why Do People Say Lynn C. Thompson Is Controversial

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious?

It's obvious that you don't know me or anything about me, yet feel compelled to post it.

He was pointing out the fallacy of your statement.

No, he was informing me of his opinion, and being quite rude while doing it.

You get what you give around here. I would suggest you read more.

You don't know what I read; and you're off topic. Address the topic.

Go back and read the exchange. If you that doesn't clarify it for you, my explanation won't help you, either.

You made assumptions, doing very similar to what you accused everyone else of doing, and then were called out on it. That is the exchange in a nutshell.

Or did you just mean to say that anyone who reads the exchange and doesn't agree with you lacks reading comprehension and is unworthy of meaningful dialogue with you? Because that is certainly how you come across...

You made assumptions, doing very similar to what you accused everyone else of doing, and then were called out on it. That is the exchange in a nutshell.

Or did you just mean to say that anyone who reads the exchange and doesn't agree with you lacks reading comprehension and is unworthy of meaningful dialogue with you? Because that is certainly how you come across...

They're not assumptions. I do believe, according to the responses, that my opinion has been more than justified. Not one comment along the lines of "this is how their knives suck, here's an article that shows how/why Lynn C. Thompson is bad...". Just a lot of hurt feelings over repudiating a "mall ninja" stereotype. For a bunch of tough "knife guys" there sure are some sensitive people.

They're not assumptions. I do believe, according to the responses, that my opinion has been more than justified. Not one comment along the lines of "this is how their knives suck, here's an article that shows how/why Lynn C. Thompson is bad...". Just a lot of hurt feelings over repudiating a "mall ninja" stereotype. For a bunch of tough "knife guys" there sure are some sensitive people.

are you the pot or the kettle?

and under what usernames have you previously been banned?

Please. What you're still telling us is that, when you form opinions about everyone else in this thread, you are completely justified. But when others form opinions based off of your own responses, they are doing nothing more than insulting you. If you expect to have it both ways you can also expect your stay at Bladeforums to be less than pleasant.

LMAO. And we are the sensitive ones? Judging by your posts in this thread, I've met preschoolers with a better understanding of reasonably non-hypocritical discourse than you seem to have. Now that's just my opinion based on your responses in this thread, but I suppose it's really just an insult, right?

I've met preschoolers with a better understanding of reasonably non-hypocritical discourse than you seem to have. Now that's just my opinion based on your responses in this thread, but I suppose it's really just an insult, right?

I guess so, lol. At least Lynn has fun enemies. You guys take care. :jerkit:

hmmmm... 7 for 7.

You would think (well, some would) that someone that puts his business and personal name on the internet would exhibit courtesy since it reflects on him and his products. Are you jealous of Lynn, or just trolling?

....and 8 for 8. :D

Not to worry, Rick sells to a more discerning clientele.
He also observes the First Law of Holes.

Srben...

I admit that I was being a little impish with my one-liners. I probably could have stayed out of it. IMO, you have to get a feel for things before you start into provocative issues like these. Our rules of engagement can be tricky. It may not make to much sense to you right now... hopefully you stick around long enough to realize why we are reacting to you like this. There are arguements all the time around here... you have to pick your battles. Choosing to go head to head with a site moderator within your first 3 posts wouldn't be prudent. They are moderators for a reason.

I do a lot business with members on this site and can't hide my identity. As the folks who know me offline will attest, I type like I speak. That comment was more for them than you. It was my way of supporting their stance regarding your MO. Just for the record... I have dug my share of holes on BF... and learned from them. Give yourself a chance to do the same.

Best of luck
Rick

Last edited:
Let's see. you dug up a 5 month old thread to defend someone you don't even know, talk smack about people you know nothing about but lump into some fantasy category. AND then Talk smack to one of the most respected members here who happens to be a SuperMod. And we're supposed to take you seriously.

Very succinct, Karda.

-Tye

"this is how their knives suck, here's an article that shows how/why Lynn C. Thompson is bad...".

For the most part, we don't really need any more proof that the quality of CS knives is lacking around here.

Quite a few folks have their stories of problems and it's become old news to those of us who spend alot of time here. It's a foregone conclusion at this point. Cold Steel has its losers and winners in it's line. Unfortunately, alot of the folks here have stumbled onto the losers and thus, bypass the winners.

Lynn T. is a business man, not a knifemaker. He imports and outsources the manufacture of his products. He and his employees make nothing. There's nothing wrong with that but it shows that he has little to no control over the quality of the products and that the quality of the products is going to vary wildly as they come from multiple companies on multiple continents around the globe.

Mall ninja products....some could be I guess but I don't think it's any worse than anyone else in the industry or I should say alot of folks in the industry.

Where I think he does a disservice to the knife industry is in those terrible "solid proof" videos he mass mails out a few times a year with footage of him slashing at denim covered sides of meat and talking about the "devastating wound channels" created by his urban pal neck knife.

He makes those of us who carry a knife on a daily basis look like blood thirsty sociopaths. There are alot of knives that are designed for defense but he tries to make even the most mundane, utilitarian blade look like a weapon of mass destruction.

You have been a member for over two years, so obviously this isn't the first you have heard of this subject because its been going on for awhile.
Why would you just now decide to build a fire in this thread again ?
I think everyone else has long since buried it and moved on....

I think The Great Hockey Mask is a buffoon.

You're kidding, right? No, you're doing exactly what you accuse them of doing: living in a fantasy world. Only your fantasy is that you're a mind reader, who knows what people think -- when you don't even know who they are. :rolleyes:

Let me point out that this is the FEEDBACK forum, not Whine & Cheese. Be careful with the personal insults.

More mind-reading. You have no idea who they are. You're making all this up as you go along.

Actually, Lynn Thompson is the one who put an attack on a competitor on his website. Not cool.

:thumbup::thumbup:+1

WORD

For the most part, we don't really need any more proof that the quality of CS knives is lacking around here.

Quite a few folks have their stories of problems and it's become old news to those of us who spend alot of time here. It's a foregone conclusion at this point. Cold Steel has its losers and winners in it's line. Unfortunately, alot of the folks here have stumbled onto the losers and thus, bypass the winners.

Lynn T. is a business man, not a knifemaker. He imports and outsources the manufacture of his products. He and his employees make nothing. There's nothing wrong with that but it shows that he has little to no control over the quality of the products and that the quality of the products is going to vary wildly as they come from multiple companies on multiple continents around the globe.

Mall ninja products....some could be I guess but I don't think it's any worse than anyone else in the industry or I should say alot of folks in the industry.

Where I think he does a disservice to the knife industry is in those terrible "solid proof" videos he mass mails out a few times a year with footage of him slashing at denim covered sides of meat and talking about the "devastating wound channels" created by his urban pal neck knife.

He makes those of us who carry a knife on a daily basis look like blood thirsty sociopaths. There are alot of knives that are designed for defense but he tries to make even the most mundane, utilitarian blade look like a weapon of mass destruction.

Wow! An intelligent post!

...okay, I understand that some people would be concerned about this approach. I'm not, since no matter how much we candy the subject up, knives are tools and weapons (and art sometimes). There are people that aren't going to like that ever. Lynn C. T. makes no bones about what his knives are designed for, and I respect that. Now, if he said that they were "green beret" or "the ultimate survival knife" and broke after the first use, then yeah, I could understand the animosity. I have no problem with someone poking a bad guy with their knife, or a company making a better way to do so and saying it. He goes one step further and proves what his products are capable of. I don't have a problem with that any more than the old Volvo commercials where they drove one off of a building. It's good salesmanship, and it's directed to the people that want products like his. It makes him money, and keeps him in business so that he can build other knives. If he was showing a knife made by his company being used on a dummy dressed up like an old lady, and doing slow motion throat slashes, then yeah, I could see the problem. The anti-gun, anti-knife crowd probably won't extend a hand across the aisle in friendship anytime soon no matter how much we try to please them. There's no sense in trying. We've had our rights curtailed enough, and it's okay with me if someone has the guts to say "yeah, I own a weapon.", and then doesn't feel the need to explain why.

Last edited:
You have been a member for over two years, so obviously this isn't the first you have heard of this subject because its been going on for awhile.
Why would you just now decide to build a fire in this thread again ?
I think everyone else has long since buried it and moved on....

I was doing a Google search on him and found this thread. Since I'm already a member, I was attempting to answer the original question (since it hadn't been, imo).

Wow! An intelligent post!

...okay, I understand that some people would be concerned about this approach. I'm not, since no matter how much we candy the subject up, knives are tools and weapons (and art sometimes). There are people that aren't going to like that ever. Lynn C. T. makes no bones about what his knives are designed for, and I respect that. Now, if he said that they were "green beret" or "the ultimate survival knife" and broke after the first use, then yeah, I could understand the animosity. I have no problem with someone poking a bad guy with their knife, or a company making a better way to do so and saying it. He goes one step further and proves what his products are capable of. I don't have a problem with that any more than the old Volvo commercials where they drove one off of a building. It's good salesmanship, and it's directed to the people that want products like his. It makes him money, and keeps him in business so that he can build other knives. If he was showing a knife made by his company being used on a dummy dressed up like an old lady, and doing slow motion throat slashes, then yeah, I could see the problem. The anti-gun, anti-knife crowd probably won't extend a hand across the aisle in friendship anytime soon no matter how much we try to please them. There's no sense in trying. We've had our rights curtailed enough, and it's okay with me if someone has the guts to say "yeah, I own a weapon.", and then doesn't feel the need to explain why.

That's a perfectly accepable point of view as far as I'm concerned. I disagree with it totally but its your opinion and its well put.

I personally don't look at my knives as weapons any more than I do a screwdriver, hammer or baseball bat. I realize some folks do and its their right to view things that way but I hate to be lumped in with them in the eyes of the anti knife and gun crowd.

I carry a utility blade with me daily, never cut another person with it but I sure have opened a ton of packages, trimmed nails, fit sod, cut string....ect. That's what my personal knives are for.

So the day that I do need to use it to defend myself comes and the prosicutor pops in a "solid proof" DVD and sees a knife just like my folder being used as a meat clever. That does nothing for my case and hurts all of us in the long run. Standing up to the anti knife crowd is great but there's also reality to deal with.

I have no arguement with the fact that L.T. Is a good businessman. Most likely a pretty cool guy to boot, I just disagree with his tactics.

That's a perfectly accepable point of view as far as I'm concerned. I disagree with it totally but its your opinion and its well put.

I personally don't look at my knives as weapons any more than I do a screwdriver, hammer or baseball bat. I realize some folks do and its their right to view things that way but I hate to be lumped in with them in the eyes of the anti knife and gun crowd.

I carry a utility blade with me daily, never cut another person with it but I sure have opened a ton of packages, trimmed nails, fit sod, cut string....ect. That's what my personal knives are for.

So the day that I do need to use it to defend myself comes and the prosicutor pops in a "solid proof" DVD and sees a knife just like my folder being used as a meat clever. That does nothing for my case and hurts all of us in the long run. Standing up to the anti knife crowd is great but there's also reality to deal with.

I have no arguement with the fact that L.T. Is a good businessman. Most likely a pretty cool guy to boot, I just disagree with his tactics.

You bring up a good point, though: I normally carry a Swiss Army Knife (for everyday chores like cutting boxes open, etc.), in addition to, my CS XL Voyager (which is never used for anything but self-defense, and still has a factory razor sharp edge on it). I was talking to a couple of people in an office building that I was working at, when a splinter in my finger started bothering me. Without giving it any thought, I pulled out the Swiss Army, took the tweezers out, and proceeded to extricate the splinter. I look up, and one of the people I was talking to (a professional, middle aged male, btw) has this really serious look on his face and says "A knife? Why do you carry a knife?". Lol. I humbly submit to you that no matter what you carry, should you ever use it, it only takes one person like that on a jury with your life in his hands to cause problems for you. You could paint happy faces and Hello Kitty on it, and to the average person it's just "a knife". I decided a long time ago that I'd rather be around to deal with the cops and a jury, cause at least I'll still be around. If someone gets weak in the knees over a what's basically a Boy Scout knife, you're wasting your time trying to placate them with a soft-shoe approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back