Why do you collect knives?

After joking on my previous post, honestly what got me into knives was my father. He always carried a 110, except for when we were fishing/camping, then it was a well used Remington fixed blade, probably 5”, and leather sheath. I was fascinated with them both.

Around 6 I was given a used Case toothpick looking fishing knife (unsure of the model) because we had a farm pond, and I fished all summer...with a cane pole :eek:. Then a Swiss army later (MacGyver‘s fault), and finally, I got my own 110 for my tenth birthday. I carried it on my belt, and was the coolest kid on the block. He taught me how to sharpen on an old Buck stone, so I was hooked from a young age.

*my collection is modest compared to some of the other members on here, I now try to keep it around 40, fixed and folders. They can take up a ton of space lol

Last edited:
For me there are several factors why I like, use, and collect knives.
1) knives are the oldest tool and I find the history and tradition interesting. I also admire how far evolution has taken them.
2) I like the hunt for better, more useful tools. That will give me perform better in a certain role.
3) My job and ethos require me to always be prepared. Having a knife on me makes me a more useful member of society.
4)I like art. I find more beauty in a piece of mechanical art that I can take with me and use, than one I cannot.
5) I enjoy the skills of sharpening, modifying and knife making that are attached to the hobby. They give me useful skills to work at and improve.
6) They take up less space than cars, art, or guns. I try to be a minimalist where I can. Knives are my outlet.
7) I enjoy interacting and being a member of a niche, near cultlike, society. There are many great people in and around this hobby.
8)I have a addictive personality and knives are only damaging to my pocketbook not my health.
9) This hobby is pretty easy to get out of. If I ever had to sell off my stuff it would not be too difficult to do. Life is short, I like to keep my exit strategy visible.

Man, I uhhhh...I mean, all of this. Glad I read through and saw all of this typed out before I went to the trouble! :D

Oh! A "knife philosophy" thread....

Puts on spectacles. Lifts pinky finger.

Knives have been with us an awful long time, regardless of what book you choose to read. It's one of the things that makes us human, and a handy tool for dealing with some of the frustrations of our "modern", pre-packaged world

At the same time, carrying and using a knife is an act of defiance. Even if it's only to open a bag of crisps. It can feel like society is determined to remove any and all harmful situations from our daily lives, including the use of sharpened tools.

I don't intend to go haring off into the hills to live in a bunker with a cache of guns and MREs (I like my coffee and hot showers, too much), but I can still carry a knife and feel that, even in a small and mostly acceptable way, I am claiming my right to use my own common sense and good judgement when it comes to keeping myself from getting hurt.​

I often wonder if you were a man if you didn't carry a knife. Or women also. Women needs knives for defensive of them selves and their kids.

For whatever reason I've wanted to own and carry knives since I saw the first one when I was 5. It's been the same over the last 47 years. What I don't understand is why doesn't everyone feel this way?

Growing up my dad never left the house without his Buck or Leatherman, and always said a gentleman carried a knife. So I've always enjoyed holding, seeing, etc pocket knives however never had the time for a real hobby. Flash forward to pandemic life, and my appreciation has completely shifted towards wanted to learn the steel type, custom vs mid tech, flipper vs thumb studs and so on..............

Long story short, I blame the pandemic for becoming a knife collector!

I've started cycling out my cheaper knives until I only have "higher-end" knives. I appreciate the build, craftsmanship, and the engineering of different styles. That being said I can't wait to try out that shark lock on Saturday! Plus regardless of the price of the knife it's still cheaper than my last hobby which was driving race cars lol.

I wasn't, but now I am. I came to that conclusion when I broke the 60 knife barrier and only carry and use 10 of so on a regular basis. I use them all occasionally, but I have my go to favorites for sure.

At first I just wanted something I could sharpen and not have to waste money on razor blades. Now it's a hobby and I still use a razor knife on occasion, they are handy. I love the variety of knives, the engineering, manufacture, different blade steels... Its just all fun and interesting. And the history of knives, making tools, etc. It's interesting seeing where humans have come from.

I've started cycling out my cheaper knives until I only have "higher-end" knives. I appreciate the build, craftsmanship, and the engineering of different styles. That being said I can't wait to try out that shark lock on Saturday! Plus regardless of the price of the knife it's still cheaper than my last hobby which was driving race cars lol.

Racing isn't cheap. Even RC racing. I went down that path a long time ago... Lol

My grandfather gave me a trapper pattern, bone-handled slipjoint when I was twelve. He taught me that a man carries a pocketknife. I started buying my own later in life in the hopes of finding "the perfect" edc for me. I'm still looking for it, I just happen to have a really cool collection now.

I collect/accumulate knives because I like knives.

If the folks you spend time with consider you a weapons freak you probably need to find some different folks to hang with.

They’re tools that can be used for everyday tasks as well as works of art. You can store more knives in a limited space than you can guns. Most of the time no one cares if you use a knife around them. More people ask to borrow a knife than a gun.
I like sharp pointy things.

Racing isn't cheap. Even RC racing. I went down that path a long time ago... Lol

Rule of thumb: all your time, and all your money.

Q: Do you know how to make a small fortune in racing?
A: You start with a large one.

I never really considered myself a ‘collector’ as I don’t keep them all in one spot, or hunt for perfect, rare specimens, or keep them unscathed. I always considered them useful tools that I just happen to find cool. Just like ratchets or screwdrivers (which I have more of) But then I look around, and I’ve got 6 or 7 in the valet on my dresser. And another 3 or 4 in my truck, some with my camping/hiking gear, etc... and I realize, while I don’t collect, I have amassed a bit of a collection.

Of course, I don’t collect watches either, but have a dozen or so of those as well....

Rule of thumb: all your time, and all your money.

Yep...I did motocross for a while as well, but just for fun because there was no way I could afford to do it full time. Best exercise ever. Wish I could get back into it, but my bike needs a full rebuild (1999 KX125) and I don't have a way to transport it, and...yea. Racing. LOL

A few years ago I left a comfortable corporate position to start my own business.

During, and after this transition, I was not sleeping well, and constantly stressed.

I have always appreciated knives as a useful art form, and in addition, took note that in many of my fondest memories a knife was along or employed during those times.

I found solace in the hobby.

Use, sharpening, steel types, geometry and form, materials, and this community.

So I suppose it’s a type of therapy.

Yes, I know it’s weird.

Besides the appreciation for design and function in things mechanical, knives offer additional benefits of not pleasure to us knife knuts.

I tend to collect - a subtle distinction from hoarding some might say. Guns, motorcycles ... more than I need and yet somehow less than I want.
Knifes take up much less space and generally cost less than other "collectible" things. Additionally, I get to carry and even use a knife much more frequently than a gun or a motorcycle.

Yep...I did motocross for a while as well, ..... Best exercise ev

I didn't realise until my cousin got competitive in motocross how physically demanding it is and how fit they are.

I was like big deal you sit on a motorised two wheel vehicle that does all the work - how hard could that be??

I was wrong, very wrong.

Back