Why don’t you like flippers?

Thanks guys, I took a couple minutes and searched for video on YT and found one "How to replace bearings on a flipper" that explains it all. So the next step would be ceramic hybrids :) or full ceramic :D. But it does get ugly and cruddy in there with time and I didn't like that yuk :(

Honestly imho ceramic bearings makes very little difference to smoothness. Ceramic detent ball has a way greater difference than steel detent ball.

Honestly imho ceramic bearings makes very little difference to smoothness. Ceramic detent ball has a way greater difference than steel detent ball.

I was more saying this for durability. But you are right it does not change much from steel regarding performance.

I’ve noticed that there are no shortage of people who have an adversion to flippers.

Out of curiosity- can some of you who are not fans of this feature tell me why you don’t like them?

Some people seem to be pretty adamant about it so I’m sure there are some good reasons you can share with the rest of us.

Thanks!
I like flippers. I like that you dont need a thumb stud for some knife designs. It can make for clean lines.

Because they all have frame or liner locks. Boring and sometimes unreliable.
Not true, SOG managed to incorporate a flipper into a lockback. Not saying the knife was great or anything, but it worked.

I still carry a Kershaw Lahar with both flipper and studs. It's as smooth as silk and does it without bearings or AO. I like it as well as any other well made knife I own.

Back