Why I buy knives

I just finished sharpening my Ontario Rat 1 D2. it didn't need sharpening; I needed to use my new KME sharpener to see if I could put a better-than-ever edge on it. Sadly, none of my knives are used as serious tools but they give me a lot of pleasure. I buy steels way beyond my need, sourcing brands that give value for the price. I also still buy junk, attracted by the appearance or by the buzz on YouTube reviews. I know that one day I'll tire of the pursuit and return to woodworking that results in a product independent of the tooling. Even then I'll enjoy looking at my 20 or so knives and choosing my carry for the day.
How about you?

Knives, specifically folders, have a unique place in my heart. I have a distinct childhood memory of asking my maternal grandfather why he had his. He said it was just part of being a man, and that I’d have one some day. That set me to nagging my parents. I learned knife safety as a very young scout, and started carrying a traditional on my birthday at age 10. I’ve carried a knife for 31 years since then. They connect me to grandpa, and to the model he presented of manhood. He was a WW2 vet, and a volunteer in his community. He was capable, fit & hardy, vital and independent until he passed at 82. He was tough in every way, but gentle and respectful by choice. He challenged me to be considerate even of rivals or perceived enemies when I was an angry young man, and made me a better person.

I wear modest clothes, drive a modest car, and generally don’t give a crap about material. These are my tools at work, my fidget toys, and a little connection to grandpa Ed. I like them to be nice.

I6nDM1j.png

Knives, specifically folders, have a unique place in my heart. I have a distinct childhood memory of asking my maternal grandfather why he had his. He said it was just part of being a man, and that I’d have one some day. That set me to nagging my parents. I learned knife safety as a very young scout, and started carrying a traditional on my birthday at age 10. I’ve carried a knife for 31 years since then. They connect me to grandpa, and to the model he presented of manhood. He was a WW2 vet, and a volunteer in his community. He was capable, fit & hardy, vital and independent until he passed at 82. He was tough in every way, but gentle and respectful by choice. He challenged me to be considerate even of rivals or perceived enemies when I was an angry young man, and made me a better person.

I wear modest clothes, drive a modest car, and generally don’t give a crap about material. These are my tools at work, my fidget toys, and a little connection to grandpa Ed. I like them to be nice.

My Grandfather also got me hooked on knives when I was just a little stinker. He always had a pocket knife on him that was so sharp you could split hairs with it. He told me a man should always have a knife and gave me my first one when I was probably too young to have it. He always kept it razor sharp for me after I would abuse it like most young boys would. I used that little pocket knife for everything and had it for several decades. My Grandfather died several years ago and at his funeral I slid that little knife under his hands in his coffin and it was buried with him.

I have always had a love for knives. I am 42 and have carried a knife since I was 5. I've almost always carries traditional with a modern when hu.ting and maybe fishing. I've become more interested in modern, as the spydie bug has bitten me as well as a love for many Kershaw knives. I buy them because I enjoy them and love to try new ones. Nothing too expensive,as I am just now heading back to work after 2 1/2 years of illness I love knives and probably always will. I've always bought several ,give most of them away to family and friends,then start all over again. It's a vicious cycle lol

I can express why knives appeal to me now but I have a hard time believing that childhood me had the same complex appreciation of engineering, art, and history that I do. I can't remember what attracted that little bastard to knives but he set me down a life-long path. I joined the cub scouts because that was the only way my mom would agree to let me own a pocket knife and have carried one ever since.

Last edited:
I just finished sharpening my Ontario Rat 1 D2. it didn't need sharpening; I needed to use my new KME sharpener to see if I could put a better-than-ever edge on it. Sadly, none of my knives are used as serious tools but they give me a lot of pleasure. I buy steels way beyond my need, sourcing brands that give value for the price. I also still buy junk, attracted by the appearance or by the buzz on YouTube reviews. I know that one day I'll tire of the pursuit and return to woodworking that results in a product independent of the tooling. Even then I'll enjoy looking at my 20 or so knives and choosing my carry for the day.
How about you?

Crap Man! Get out of my mind!!! You just described me pretty well. And I even sometimes pull out the KME just for fun. And maybe wonder why I just sharpened a knife that had only opened some mail. But when I can throw the mail in the air and slice it to bits with my new laser.....well that just icing. :D The only difference is my little collection. Somewhere between "now this is getting good", and, "I can quit anytime, already quit hundreds of times".

Regardless of what I tell my wife, what I own really only has value to me. If I were to liquidate, I'd be bathing in $$$ .... No, wait. Scratch that. I'd be bathing $0.01 and $0.05 (pennies and nickels that is).

How about you?
Sounds like we walk a similar path . . . other than the "junk" ( I do have a $17 Elephant Toe knife but it is actually quite nice and useable).
More and more at work I find I cut less and less; products and my job are changing.

The pursuit of higher sharpening skills and more knowledge about edge tool alloys led me here to Blade Forums. My main interest in edge tools is hand tool woodworking.

PS: maybe you need to moon light as a carpet layer so you can get more use out of your knife edges.
Think of all the extra income for knife acquisitions . . .
hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Lately, I've been buying knives because there's something interesting about them.

Got a Benchmade 940 coming in; first one with an Axis lock. Hope the quality is acceptable for the price.

Got a Spyderco Dragonfly coming, because it seems like Just the Thing for almost anything I would need a knife for, in this day and age.

Bought an A.G. Russell medium gentleman's hunter because I "needed" something that was not tactical for work.

I am no bushcrafter, but find a use for a knife everyday. Whether it’s chores around the house, yard work with the wife, fishing, grilling, woodworking
or lunch prep at work. I like many above grew up carrying a knife because my father and grandfathers always had one in their pocket.

The numerous, never ending blade options these days can get overwhelming. I like advances in knife steel as much as anyone, but find the ones I turn to are not that fancy at all.

It is a fun hobby and just like any other, spending can vary to the extremes.

Still can’t imagine either of my grandfathers with a Spyderco.

...haven't thought about it that much... I know that nice knives give me pleasure... I enjoy fine craftsmanship in metal, and is particular fun to learn about new blade-steels. My particular hell of obsessive knife-buying has slowed to a definite crawl, and my purchases are now made after some reasonable amount of thought and research. It is now more fun than just an itch to scratch.

Why I buy knives? Sometimes I wonder myself these days when I have quite a few choices available to me. But I continue to buy more knives. Why? I like 'em. Pretty simple really.

I have carried a knife since I was in the 1st grade. Always chose and bought my own, even at that age. Grew up in the country and knives were both useful and necessary to me. I got used to having one in my pocket available when I needed to cut something. Hunting, fishing, hiking, and the outdoors in general were a way of life. Lived it every day.

I like both modern and traditional knives. It wasn't until the 80's that I really started to get interested in higher quality knives. Future brother in law introduced me to Randall knives and customs. That is also when I was introduced to Vic SAKs (not that they are "higher quality") and by the mid-90's, I was a confirmed SAK user. I didn't even own a fixed blade other than kitchen knives. Fixed blades intrigue me even though to this day, I have seldom truly needed a fixed blade knife outside the kitchen. Fixed blades say KNIFE. Folders say tool.

Last edited:
Yeah, I spend a lot of time stropping knives that are already laser sharp. I have boxes of knives I don't use anymore and some I only used for a short time after I bought them. There was a time I felt like a knife wasn't useful unless it was an overbuilt, heavy duty folder or thick and long fixed blade model. Today I seldom need more blade than a Spyderco Dragonfly or Case Peanut. But I still get on knife buying binges because I like trying something different and new.

They're a lot easier to carry in public than guns. Besides, have you ever whipped out a .45 to cut your steak with or a piece of thread ?

Guns, knives, guitars and motorcycles were just woven into the fabric of my childhood, and the apple didn't roll very far from the tree. I get a rush from buying a fine knife.

Back