Why I buy knives

They're a lot easier to carry in public than guns. Besides, have you ever whipped out a .45 to cut your steak with or a piece of thread ?

No, but I doubt it would stop most of us from trying if we were given the option to do it (safely of course).

i carry for self defense

i like high quality knives that were made specifically for self defense like the spyderco civilian, spyderco chinook, cold steel talon, benchmade bedlam, al mar sere 2000 etc....

lately ive been carrying a cold steel tiger claw folder

I think I probably have more reasons to buy knives than I do knives and I have quite a few knives, (though I know many here can put my collection to shame. Here is a small sampling of some of my better reasons.

1. Always had an interest since cub scouts. Really captured my imagination when I saw a photo of a Bob Loveless knife back in '72 or so. If I can find it, I'll edit the article and photo in here later when I get home. That knife grabbed me and I can still see it in my mind, 45+ years later. Definitely my #1 Grail knife.

2. Obsessive personality / Hoarder I tend to get on a kick and collect things. Usually the interest shifts to something else after a time. But it can come and go too. Usually controlled by the cost of the items. Guitars, I have about a dozen. Ditto for firearms, though I'm starting to consider new acquisitions. 6.5 Creedmoor, .45 ACP, .17 HMR, .22 WMR, Remington 760 in .30-06 (if anyone is looking to sell one...) My most obvious collections are in books. Have a library of over 2000 books, not counting an additional library of 650+ guitar books, and another of 200+ cookbooks. Wine collection, it's down to maybe 20 cases. I won't even start to count the fishing tackle. Have close to 100 rods if that's any indicator, but most of those were provided by sponsors. :)

3. Nearly all the knives I buy are because they appeal to my aesthetics. Life is too short to waste time with ugly knives. lol Some of my purchases have lost their attraction over time, though most have not. I like the idea of usable artwork.

4. My early interest in knives was due to my greater interest in fishing and hunting as a kid. That still guides many of my purchases even if I have't hunted in years. Call it aiding and abetting the dream. "If I ever get out deer hunting again, that would sure be a great knife to carry with me" or " I really should have a caping knife just in case..."

5. Curiosity. Want to see what a front flipper is like. Check out a super steel, interesting design, ergonomics, you name it. Sometimes it may just be a really different and unique knife like a melon tester, or an Ulu. Sometimes I want to see what the hype is about, or see if the workmanship of some maker on the exchange matches the pictures.

6. Fixing a wrong purchase. Sometimes, I get the wrong knife first. Like the Rat I. Great knife, but bigger than I wanted. So I got the Rat II. Perfect!. except now, it's available in D2. Guess I got another one in my future.

7. Education. As I wade deeper and deeper into the ocean of knives, I learn about new places, ideas, people... Since joining BF, I've broadened my horizons substantially. The Pattada and the Laguiole have become favorites along with the worlds that they come from.

8. New People. Have met some great people, both personally, and via correspondence as the result of this hobby.

9. When all else fails, the voices in my head will make sure I buy another knife. Just don't know what it will be right now. But they will definitely let me know when it shows up. :D

Edit
The photo that started it all.
First-loveless-001resize.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm really trying to slow it down, I have only bought maybe 4-5 folders this year. Though with operation two weeks still going I will probably need an intervention soon lol.

Back