Why I love Victorinox!

And can you name a brand of knives that have a more precise scissors?

My benchmark for a good scissors is... Will it properly trim a mustache?
Neither Vic or Wenger has ever failed the grooming test.
Yep, my classics do this very well.

And can you name a brand of knives that have a more precise scissors?

My benchmark for a good scissors is... Will it properly trim a mustache?
Neither Vic or Wenger has ever failed the grooming test.

Well, the ones on both 91 mm and 58 mm SAKs are about good as they get, but the small ones are too small for grooming my stache. I mean, they work, but are too fiddly, maybe good for the occasional stray nose hair. OTOH, the regular sized ones are so good that I use them instead of the dedicated scissors we have.

Aside from the consistent outstanding quality, the abundance of them on the secondary market drives the cost down. I've purchased 1 as a single item for $8.10 then 3 lots of 3 each averaging only $4 to $6 each. 4 have been like new, 3 gently used, and 3 used more but not abused. I had to buy those last 3 you know because I've given away 5 in the last 6 months. They make great gifts and have all been well received.

love the thread - I've carried one Vic or another for 65 years and given away a ton of them-best deal came from a friend who worked for an airline and complained about all the "tin" on his desk - I mentioned that I could find a home .... the next week I had four gallon ziplock bags filled with knives on my desk - the majority were SAK - I've shared many with sheeple who can not understand how they managed without a "Classic" all those years - peace and don't cut yourselves
Revvie

Made an account to chime in :)

My first Victorinox was a Climber that I got from my Dad for Cub Scouts. I unfortunately haven't been able to find that one for quite some time :(. But it was a great knife, and I bought another Climber cheaply that was from a similar timeframe.

I also have a mini on my keychain, I carry a Spartan Pinstripe as EDC, and I have a few other Victorinox SAK's as well...stashed in the car, in my dresser, wherever. They are just quality and I love picking them up on the cheap and giving them a new life!

I just got my very first Victorinox. It's a RangerWood 55, and I really like it already.

It's really nice to know that it's a company makes great quality multi tools. I cannot wait to make more memory with it.

Great tools. Been a fan for over 20 years. My friend gifted me a Victorinox around 25 years ago, it still works perfectly to this day. The logo has rubbed off, but apart from that it's doing well.
I have another 3 newer ones, and a gel card that I find useful. Can't fault any of them.

Victorinox is an OLD SCHOOL company. How they even exist in today's world of cheap mass produced junk is a mystery to me.

They exist because they are the experts in mass production. Victorinox has what is most likely the most modern, almost fully automated knife factory in the world. They have invested many million of dollars in the latest high speed production machinery available and have a highly motivated and skilled work force.

Add in that most of the tools they stamp out are interchangeable between models. The different models may differ only in the amount or aragnent of the tools/layers. High speed computer machining centers turn out parts that need very little final finishing, and the standard size SAK's are all assembled on jigs with parts only needing to be dropped on and riveted. The entire design of the basic chassis is such that it lends itself to the high speed assembly needed to turn a profit in a tight cut throat world market.

Only using the very best machining technology can Victorinox churn out the sheer numbers of SAK's rolling off the line with almost perfect fit and finish. The presiccion making of the parts makes for a great foundation for the huge production numbers. With a foundation of extremely precise parts, large numbers of different models can be turned out in a small amount of time.

Look how many Corolla's come off the Toyota line, and how many Civic's come out of the Honda factory. It's all about modernization and utilizing the latest automation.

In addition to SAKs, Victorinox also manufactures an excellent line(s) of kitchen knives that are used the world over by professional chefs and in countless kitchens (including my own). Nothing fancy, no 'super-steels', just pure functionality and ease of use/maintenance.

On top of that, they also make outstanding pliers-based multi-tools.

Jim

In addition to SAKs, Victorinox also manufactures an excellent line(s) of kitchen knives that are used the world over by professional chefs and in countless kitchens (including my own). Nothing fancy, no 'super-steels', just pure functionality and ease of use/maintenance.

On top of that, they also make outstanding pliers-based multi-tools.

Jim

:thumbsup:

My kitchen is all Victorinox. A 7 inch strait back butcher pattern with rosewood handle, a chefs knife with the black synthetic handle, a 7 inch serrated bread knife, and two red handle serrated parring knives do everything. Since I'm the cook in the family, I consider the kitchen "my" kitchen and I won't have anything but Victorinox in the drawer. They flat out work.

Back