Why is the 5 not that popular?

If i didn't already have 2 BK-2's i would have bought an ESEE-5 by now.
If i can sometime score an ESEE-5 used for a reasonable price i may just flat-grind it!
:)

The 5 is designed to SERE specifications.

If you are finding yourself in SERE situations day-by-day, you likely do not have the time or compunction to check these forums regularly and weigh in about the merits of your knife.
:)

I have one and love it, but also have a few other ones to I can task-load based on what I plan to do for the day. My EDC is an Izula, though, and rarely find it out of its league.

The 5 stands out from our others becasue it is the only knife we use 1/4" thick steel to make as spec'ed by the SERE folks. And I personally don't carry it because of the weight. I do have one in the truck for an emergency like breaking car glass . But sales are definitely not slow on the 5. It is all we can do to keep up with demand and sometimes we fall behind on that:)

I like my 5 but probably go with the 6 more due to the weight of the 5. Both are great. I like the weight and balance of the 6 more. However, the 5 for its size is well balnced too. I think it is a personal preference but I think the 6 is a more versitile and easier to carry.

i want 5 scales that will fit my 4.:D seriously, those bowdrill divots seem too practical to be without.

The bow drill divot is easy enough to add to your current scales with a drill. 1/2" or so should do it.

because its not meant for everyone. It was a knife designed for a specific niche. The 4 is more of a general use knife.

Back