Why is the Junglas so Popular?

The Junglas has a great handle and sheath. My Ontario 12" cutlass machete has more reach, and can chop better. The ontario is 1/8" thick, it can baton, dig holes, and cost $20. The handle sucks, there is no edge on it when new, and you have to find your own sheath.
I combined the two, or had it done. It's 13/64" thick 5160.
100_0958.jpg

Because it makes you look cool.

@Foxx.. I really like that Culberson.. one of these days I will take mine out and get a picture of them next to each other. The only one I have now is indoors on the kitchen table.

The Junglas and the 5 are the only two parts of the collection that I still don't own and probably never will. I have purchased multiples of most of the other models (gifted most) and retain an Izula II (my EDC), HEST (my work EDC), 3, 6, and machete for myself. The fixed blade from ESEE I'm eagerly awaiting is the LaserStrike. It will probably replace the 6 in my lineup as my "big" knife. I think part of my bias is that I have never been to a jungle environment, maybe then I'd want the Junglas.

The Junglas has a great handle and sheath. My Ontario 12" cutlass machete has more reach, and can chop better. The ontario is 1/8" thick, it can baton, dig holes, and cost $20. The handle sucks, there is no edge on it when new, and you have to find your own sheath.
I combined the two, or had it done. It's 13/64" thick 5160.
100_0958.jpg

Talking crap about how much better the Ontario performs when the Junglas in the picture looks completely unused......

:D

I agree, the 12" Ontario is a great tool, I used them for years. And I LOVE the Culberson, that thing is awesome.

(BTW, I think the handle might suck on the Ontario because they forgot to put scales on it...... )

But the real question is which one throws the best and which one batons through cement blocks better?

I'm never gonna' get one unless Jeff starts pissing more people off.
He's been waaaay too nice lately, and it's getting old. :D

I'm never gonna' get one unless Jeff starts pissing more people off.
He's been waaaay too nice lately, and it's getting old. :D

I'm trying dammit! Didn't you see the photos I just posted?

I highly doubt a $15 machete would stand up to anywhere near the abuse that a Junglas could endure!

Correct, but you could replace it 10 times and still be a couple bucks ahead.

The Junglas is a badass knife. For a knife of that quality with a sheath system that good, it should cost more.

I highly doubt a $15 machete would stand up to anywhere near the abuse that a Junglas could endure!

As much as I think how cool the Junglas is and wouldn't mind owning one, it wouldn't replace my Martindale. I will say that I am not the average machete user though, as I do use a machete on a daily basis as a Land Surveyor. I would like to have a Junglas as a camp/woods knife though.

1020911508_PksoF-M.jpg

As much as I think how cool the Junglas is and wouldn't mind owning one, it wouldn't replace my Martindale. I will say that I am not the average machete user though, as I do use a machete on a daily basis as a Land Surveyor. I would like to have a Junglas as a camp/woods knife though.

1020911508_PksoF-M.jpg

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That one is well used. I have some Martindales and loved them. Ended up leaving them in SA though. Nothing beats a good machete!

I've got a Junglas on order from Tactical Defender (when are they going to get those things back in stock, anyway?)

I'd pit my time using $20-$30 machetes against many people here (I work for a civil engineering and land surveying company, although I work in the office right now, and have been for years. I still work outside on occasion, though.) I've got a Martindale Crocodile (20 inch?) that's six years old now that's seen hundreds of hours of cutting, only ever sharpened by rusty old files laying in the back of the truck. It still works great. In this capacity, I'm talking about slicing trails through various kinds of Florida woods for traversing out lines for line of sight surveying. It's even cut more than a few 6 or 8 inch trees down.

To that end, there's really nothing else that compares. Either you're using a large, thin, relatively lightweight machete, or you're not going as fast as you can. For that type of work, I don't think my forthcoming Junglas is going to cut it, so to speak. I can see it being great for around-the-camp tasks, or light-use machete tasks, as everyone here already knows. I can't wait to get mine.

But anyone who says $20-30 machetes from a decent company don't last, hasn't used a machete much. You don't have to spend a lot on a knife to get a good one.

Edit:

I just noticed LostSoul is in the surveying business as well. Surveyors know machetes.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That one is well used.

That one has probably close to 10 years of use on it. I started out my career with a hand me down that had seen a lot of use. It finally gave up the ghost, and I have had this one since. I've tried others but the Martindale has them beat.

I have some Martindales and loved them. Ended up leaving them in SA though. Nothing beats a good machete!

I have a spare one laying around if you'd like it. You've definitely given away more than your share of goodies.

Standard ESEE answer to the OP question: Becasue it makes you look so damn cool when you're carrying it.

That's why it is obligatory that you carry it on the outside of your pack.
I got mine last week.

It is awesome.

pete

People on here love to hate on him but the truth is that many folks here wouldn't know what an ESEE was if it wasn't for Nutn.

Well, I wouldn't know what the hell a Nutnfancy was if it weren't for Bladeforums.
So there.:p

And I don't hate him, as he isn't relevant enough to hate.

Back