Why no love for the Navy Knife?

I was put off by the look at first; the blade that doesn't look closed all the way even when it is and the weird cutout in the handle that throws off the otherwise nice, straight, parallel lines, but it only took using it a couple of times for me to see the functional benefits for my usage, which is mostly opening mail and boxes, sometimes in an office environment.

That super blunt end of the blade is very friendly to non knife people. I have a friend and coworker who's equally fascinated by folding knives and terrified of them. Upon seeing me open my 47 Viper, he took two steps back and said, "Oh my God, that thing looks lethal! You could KILL someone with that." Upon seeing my Navy knife with blade open, his response was to ask to hold it and try it out.

I like how the shape of the blade means I can use the point to, say, cut through the tape on the top of a box with good control of the depth without holding my wrist at an extreme angle, and the easy open notch makes a big difference for my fingers that are sometimes lacking dexterity and strength. To be fair, the beer scouts have those same advantages, but for my uses, I don't notice a difference in functionality between the pointier beer scout blade and the more abrupt end of the Navy. And I admit my knives are pocket jewelry as well as tools so I like the bail for, err, hanging fobs off of. :eek:

I also appreciate the history of it. A blade shape and style that's been around as long as it has must have something going for it.

& This thread makes me wish I'd grabbed one of the fancy ones with the rope bail when there were still a few in stores. :p

Back