Why No Love for Victorinox Executive?

My most favorite, most carried SAK and/or knife of all times and the least to be ever talked about or mentioned on any of the forums. Why is that?

I think I read pretty positive things here about the Victorinox Executive, though you're right it's not as often. I love the Executive, I have a handful and I'll always pick up used ones at shows when the price is right. I often carry it as a personal grooming complement to a bigger folder. I think the 74mm pattern is really much more usable than the 58mm and the Executive is the best of the 74mm. I keep hoping one of these days they might try designing a "minichamp" like version of a 74mm design that would have more layers than the Executive.

the least to be ever talked about or mentioned on any of the forums. Why is that?

Just guessing here, but it may be because it is just one small jump away from the 91mm class, where you get a "real" flat driver, bigger scissors, etc. Consider the Compact for example. The Executive is sorta stuck between the 58mm class, which for me gives just as much utility, and the 91mm class that provides a big jump in utility. And what's up with the orange peeler? Not something I would ever use. But I hear you - I like the Executive for what it is.

20130915_113514_zpsa4f60656.jpg

Victorinox Executive.

It's my longest owned and carried knife to date! I carry it every day and use it all the time, wish they made an Alox version!
G2

You can cut nothing with tiny scissors that couldn't be cut just as easily, and probably more quickly, with a sharp blade. What else...give someone a haircut...trim my mustache? I own a hundred or more knives, at least 5 are SAR. In 70 years it has never once occurred to me to peel an orange with a knife, let alone have a dedicated blade for the purpose. Frankly, I find that at best amusing, rapidly progressing to silly. Well...You asked. ;') YMMV.

I've been carrying my black Executive since around 1999. I like it much more than the Classic-sized models. I think some of the reasons for lack of love for it are the relatively high price (more expensive than an alox Farmer, for example), and the fact that it's not available everywhere like the Classic. And as for the orange peeler, I rarely use it to peel oranges. It makes a good scraper when I don't want to do that with my knife blades. I also like the Exec's tiny pen blade better than the Classic's blade. I find the scissors better than the Classic's. I also feel that the Exec's nail file is the best I've seen on a pocketknife.

Jim

You can cut nothing with tiny scissors that couldn't be cut just as easily, and probably more quickly, with a sharp blade. What else...give someone a haircut...trim my mustache?

I assume that portfolio. Sometimes during a hectic day I am at a wash basin mirror and spot a stray hair that needs discipline. I assure you, a knife won't do.

I own a hundred or more knives, at least 5 are SAR. In 70 years it has never once occurred to me to peel an orange with a knife, let alone have a dedicated blade for the purpose.

Once in a while I use a knife to peel an orange because I've done something involving my fingernails that causes the beds to get supersensitive to acids. But for the number of times that has happened, I'd risk doing without. :)

Last edited:
You can cut nothing with tiny scissors that couldn't be cut just as easily, and probably more quickly, with a sharp blade. What else...give someone a haircut...trim my mustache? I own a hundred or more knives, at least 5 are SAR. In 70 years it has never once occurred to me to peel an orange with a knife, let alone have a dedicated blade for the purpose. Frankly, I find that at best amusing, rapidly progressing to silly. Well...You asked. ;') YMMV.

BTW, my go to for a couple decades, at least, is the Tinker. Everything I normally need, w/o that useless corkscrew. Trust me. If I'm gonna be drinking wine, at home or abroad...I WILL have a real cork remover handy. Likely an Ah-So Cork Puller which, used properly, removes your cork almost instantly....and no nasty cork debris in your, hopefully, fine wine.

Once in a while I use a knife to peel an orange because I've done something involving my fingernails that causes the beds to get supersensitive to acids. But for the number of times that has happened, I'd risk doing without. :)

Well, that's a particular, if peculiar, circumstance which, doesn't seem likely for most people, but I understand.

BTW, my go to for a couple decades, at least, is the Tinker. Everything I normally need, w/o that useless corkscrew. Trust me. If I'm gonna be drinking wine, at home or abroad...I WILL have a real cork remover handy. Likely an Ah-So Cork Puller which, used properly, removes your cork almost instantly....and no nasty cork debris in your, hopefully, fine wine.

Corkscrew?
Is that what they're calling the precision screwdriver holder these days?

I'm a big fan of the Executive. Been carrying one since 93. I agree with Jim the nail file is the best.
I've used mine for everything you use a pocketknife for. Even gutted a deer with one. I did it on a bet but it worked just fine.
I have to admit I've never peeled any oranges with the peeler. Would be nice if they made it with a combo blade like the one on the Rambler or Minichamp.

He was referring to the corkscrew being able to hold the mini eyeglass screwdriver that can twist into and be stored in the corkscrew.

Jim

OooKaaay. I wasn't aware that was possible, but then I don't spend night and day keeping up with the latest in SAR's

Yep, nail file works great, also very handy for tiny Phillips head screws too. I use to travel a lot for my day job, the knife was used a great deal, the small screwdriver was quite handy, tweezers came in handy as well. I have used the orange peeler and it works great too, just handy thing. Scissors trims my mustache as well as those errant hairs that seem to never stop growing out of my nose!

G2

I like the executive and would carry one, but not at three times the price of a classic and being hard to find in comparison to the classic. I can find the classic at any Target, Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, and fishing places, not to mention mail order at very low prices. Execs are a lost rare in contest.

As for the scissors being useless compared to a knife blade, Try trimming nose hairs with a knife.:D

If executives ever become half as common as classics, and sell for maybe half again as much, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

OooKaaay. I wasn't aware that was possible, but then I don't spend night and day keeping up with the latest in SAR's
SAKwiki.com:

Officially known as the Mini-Screwdriver, it was introduced in 1983. This is quite an ingenious tool because of the way it is designed to be carried on knives by twisting it into the Corkscrew. Its small 1.5mm width is suitable for eyeglass screws and other similar small screws. While this tool is added standard on most knives with the "Plus Style" scales the ))Mini-Screwdriver(( can be purchased separately to add to knives with a Corkscrew that don't already have it, or simply to replace lost ones. * Weight: 0.67g

005-80.jpg

Thanks to JNieporte for the photograph.

I like the executive and would carry one, but not at three times the price of a classic and being hard to find in comparison to the classic. I can find the classic at any Target, Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, and fishing places, not to mention mail order at very low prices. Execs are a lost rare in contest.

As for the scissors being useless compared to a knife blade, Try trimming nose hairs with a knife.:D

If executives ever become half as common as classics, and sell for maybe half again as much, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Even though the Executive is expensive relative to its size compared to many SAKs, IMO it's definitely worth it. I've been carrying the same one for years, but I have a couple more Execs, too. Besides, if a company like GEC ever made a pen knife equivalent to the Exec, it would be very, very expensive. Compared to that, Vic's Exec would be a great bargain price-wise.

Jim

Pretty much my daily carry here, except I did move up on the Kizer to the Intrepid from the Gemini, but as you can see, the Executive is there, along with the Pioneer and the #10 Opinel Slim, use that mainly for food.

and the Case peanut, well just because it has such a cool engraved set of scales ;) and it is one heck of a great splinter picker tip!

daily.jpg~original

G2

I'm definitely a fan. The Executive became my favorite for just dropping into my pocket very soon after I got it. Tinker is a tiny bit too big for me to do that. The Classic is s'danged small that I lost mine a few years back and didn't realize it until it was too late.

The scissors (IMO) > blade for trimming a fingernail you just broke/tore, precision snipping of a loose thread without the risk of pulling it more or even (most of you probably can't relate to this one, but it happens) a split end in your (my) hair, as well as precise trimming of paper for any reason, without needing a stable surface to lay it on.

The file is great for smoothing just about anything (within reason), including fingernails in addition to doubling as a screwdriver. Honestly have no use for the orange peeler (can't stand citrus fruits but I'm sure one day I'll find a use for this tool) but, as usual, Victorinox found a way to stick a screwdriver on there. :)

The main blade is smaller than the main blade on, say, the Tinker, but still larger than the blade on the Classic. :thumbup:

If I lost mine, I'd seriously consider getting another; I have not yet gotten another Classic to replace the one I lost.

Back